Wisconsin Talgo Pictures

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Wikipedia:

One of the five sets currently in service, the Mt. Adams set was originally built as a demonstrator and for potential service between Los Angeles, California and Las Vegas, Nevada. This was built with two additional standard coaches, for a total of 14 cars. It operated on the Seattle-Vancouver, B.C. run for several years in its original configuration. It was also originally painted in a different color scheme, using blue, black and silver instead of the green, brown and cream found on the other sets.
A six-car spare set, including a baggage car, service car, lounge-dining car, cafe car and two standard coaches, was also built. The two additional coaches from the fifth trainset and the two coaches from the spare set were placed in service on four of the other sets, resulting in four 13-car trains and one 12-car train.
I can't vouch for accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Wikipedia:

A six-car spare set, including a baggage car, service car, lounge-dining car, cafe car and two standard coaches, was also built. The two additional coaches from the fifth trainset and the two coaches from the spare set were placed in service on four of the other sets, resulting in four 13-car trains and one 12-car train.
Accurate, but the "six car spare set" is misleading there were six single cars build as spare equipment, don't think they were ever a "set" of equipment. As of last October you would see the spare cars sitting next to the maintance tent.

Per Wikipedia:

Accurate, but the "six car spare set" is misleading there were six single cars build as spare equipment, don't think they were ever a "set" of equipment. As of last October you would see the spare cars sitting next to the maintance tent.
This page gives you the full run down of the Talgo's, both the current status and the as built status. As noted in the disclaimer at the bottom of the page, the info comes direct from Amtrak sources.

They're beautiful...can't wait to see them in action! As far as "why Talgo", why not? They make an excellent product, and have the lowest platform-to-floor distance of any train. Being fully articulated, they don't have the hazards that are inherent to traditional, separable equipment, so there's that: and they are fully wheelchair accessible. They do carry their own complications, but I think they are going to be wildly popular, as are the Cascades.

They're beautiful...can't wait to see them in action! As far as "why Talgo", why not? They make an excellent product, and have the lowest platform-to-floor distance of any train. Being fully articulated, they don't have the hazards that are inherent to traditional, separable equipment, so there's that: and they are fully wheelchair accessible. They do carry their own complications, but I think they are going to be wildly popular, as are the Cascades.
Why not? No operational flexibility.

They've a lower capacity than current Hiawathas.

Why not? No operational flexibility.

They've a lower capacity than current Hiawathas.
I agree. I've always liked locomotives and cars better than articulated trains. If a Talgo has one hotbox, the train is dead until repaired, but if a Horizon car has a hotbox, it only needs to be taken out. Just my point.

Trainsets work best when you have a large fleet that you can substitute around if needed, like the Acelas. The Cascades seems to be just borderline in that regard, but a two-trainset service I don't think works out that well.

just sent to me:

427698_385607204787985_100000161257601_1859223_475965117_n.jpg

peter

Would there be reason for tilting on the Milw-Madison section they were going to do?

peter
Well maybe it already got tilted a little to the left for some Wisconsin people... Then got tilted WAY to far to the right... lol

Actually there is one other small issue, the Superliner replacements have no Business class cars. So Amtrak must stop selling those special seats and refund any monies for seats already sold.
been here before....they actually give you a dining car voucher, because honestly, the superliner equipment is a LD size seat which is about as long as a cascades seat, not as wide and leather but such is life...further longer term cancellation == amfleet equipment (I believe that is the actual spare that is used during holidays for the "midnight service", again have taken before), the cascades cracks issues a couple years was a little different since it was most of the talgo fleet.

Well as a Amtraker from washington, i would say no more talgos, dont like 'em, i say stick with amfleets or get a new type of car. And I hope these talgos dont look like school buses, cause if they do, i don't want them to be shipped to washington, because if they do,I don't want to have to deal with 4 school buses in seattle. :eek:hboy:

Amfleets have been long out of production, and Budd closed its railcar plant. I don't see Amtrak buying a railcar that has not been built in thirty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back