Wisconsin Talgo Pictures

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerRock

Engineer
The Midwest HSR Association visited the Talgo facility a little while back and have been slowly posting pics online. Here are the few they've posted so far, all are of the WI Talgos:

406481_10151230988385531_199588320530_22732997_87026287_n.jpg

422050_10151251334580531_199588320530_22795220_21574136_n.jpg

421215_10151251291985531_199588320530_22795078_1068063012_n.jpg

402054_10151251287780531_199588320530_22795072_628987867_n.jpg

peter

Any bets on how long these will stay in the Midwest before the end up on the Cascades?

Any bets on how long these will stay in the Midwest before the end up on the Cascades?
Probably for at least 4-5 years because Washington State can't put them to use on the Seattle to Portland corridor until the track and capacity upgrade projects are completed which will allow them to add 2 additional daily trains. The situation is likely to be rather complicated by the operational problems of having only 2 Talgo trainsets with no reserve which means Amtrak will have to provide Horizon or, in a few years, bi-level corridor cars (maybe) when one of the trainsets has to be serviced or inspected and go off-line for a day or two. The second is the political scene in Wisconsin which could be quite volatile for the next several years with Gov. Walker facing what is likely to be one nasty mud fight of a recall election.

it's amazing on how many have already written off the Talgos for the Hiawathas. For all we know, the trains will work out great, customers will love them and they will become symbolic of the Chicago-Milwaukee service. Let them roll a wheel first. Washington needs to find a way to stop to those landslides that seem to occur every other week before scheduling more trains.

it's amazing on how many have already written off the Talgos for the Hiawathas. For all we know, the trains will work out great, customers will love them and they will become symbolic of the Chicago-Milwaukee service. Let them roll a wheel first. Washington needs to find a way to stop to those landslides that seem to occur every other week before scheduling more trains.
Actually there have been virtually zero landslide cancellations so far this winter.

No spare, none needed. Per the Talgo maintance program.

Other than paint and one global issues with cracks, the Cascadia set are hold down there assignment well.

I think it will be interesting and fun to ride, living here in the south burbs of Milwaukee... but the whole Talgo thing really doesn't make sense. I mean FIRST, it will actually REDUCE capacity of the 6 car Horizon equipment now, and as someone said earlier -- there should be three sets being made so there is a spare. If/when the equipment goes down its going to have to be replaced with Amfleet or Horizon anyway. The only good thing is I heard there was going to be some food service on the CHI-MKE runs which would be nice to head down to CHI and get a bite to eat on the train if you want to.

I am concerned about the reliability of those stairs in winter weather. Anyone have any insight as to their performance, based either on experience in BC-WA-OR or similar systems elsewhere?

No spare, none needed. Per the Talgo maintance program.

Other than paint and one global issues with cracks, the Cascadia set are hold down there assignment well.
We'll see how long this "No Spare Needed" will last..

What is the Delivery Date?
Building a spare set for only two active would really be a massive waste of money when you can just use one of the spare consists of other cars stationed in Chicago anyway. Of course the Talgos will have to go for inspections etc. every once in a while, but making the substitute run with Horizons or other cars is really no problem, especially as long as the trains are unreserved. It's not like there's anyting keeping them from occationally using other equipment than Talgos when needed. What's the problem?

When one of the Cascades has to be taken out of service, Amtrak has used Superliners to substitute. The only issue, as far as I can tell, with substituting Superliners for Talgos is that the bi-levels have lower speed limits on some sections of track, so schedules might be affected a bit.

At least they aren't being substituted with buses (so long as the track is open).

Last edited by a moderator:
They had a spare trainset in Washington, they broke it up and used the cars to make the other trainsets longer.

Equipment substitutions will happen, though, and that equipment won't be able to go as fast. There is a photo on Talgo's website that shows a speed limit sign, allowing Talgo trains 75mph, and other passenger trains 60mph.

I have also heard that the Talgos as they are being built, will not have as much capacity as the heaviest-patronized Hiawatha train (to CHI in the morning).

Even though the Hiawathas do not share consists with the other midwest trains like the Michigan and Illinois services do, it would probably be wise, from a servicing standpoint, to get bi-level California cars for the Hiawathas to share with everyone. That would also allow you to add more cars to deal with the ever increasing ridership on the line.

Will the Talgos speed up the Hiawathas up that much though? Except for the terminal trackage at both ends, most of the CHI-MKE trackage is arrow-straight. I counted maybe a half dozen curves total outside the terminal cities, and none looked particularly sharp to me (I defer to someone more knowledgeable of the route however). As to capacity, I can't find the number right now, but I thought I had heard seating capacity of 420. If the existing Horizon cars have a capacity of 72, then yes, you're losing 16 seats, but I'd hardly call that a massive capacity reduction.

The new trains have a capacity of 397. Currently, 339 has standees regularly.

The Cascades never had a spare Talgo. There are and were five, but eight to ten years ago, they reconfigured them by taking a couple cars from the "Las Vegas" set and putting them on the other sets. Today, the former "Vegas" set is one car shorter than the others, and usually sticks to the 510/517 turn.

The Talgo trains won't speed up the Hiawatha because there aren't really any curves that limit the speed, except at the ends of the route, and those are too sharp to get anything out of through tilting.

There is really no good reason for Wisconsin to have bought Talgos for the Hiawatha service.

The Midwest HSR Association visited the Talgo facility a little while back and have been slowly posting pics online. Here are the few they've posted so far, all are of the WI Talgos
That's too bad.

Would there be reason for tilting on the Milw-Madison section they were going to do?

peter
**Ahem** Still are going to do, you mean. There would be a handful of curves along the line between Milwaukee & Madison, but the tilt mechanisms are for the section from La Crosse to Saint Paul, along Old Man River. It would enable to train to have a higher average speed, so that the train doesn't have to slow quite so much for each of the curves along this section.

When one of the Cascades has to be taken out of service, Amtrak has used Superliners to substitute. The only issue, as far as I can tell, with substituting Superliners for Talgos is that the bi-levels have lower speed limits on some sections of track, so schedules might be affected a bit.

At least they aren't being substituted with buses (so long as the track is open).
Actually there is one other small issue, the Superliner replacements have no Business class cars. So Amtrak must stop selling those special seats and refund any monies for seats already sold.

They had a spare trainset in Washington, they broke it up and used the cars to make the other trainsets longer.
Wait! When did that happen?

Last I knew they had 5 trainsets and that's how many were originally built, although one set was supposed to work the LA to Las Vegas corridor and was named the Las Vegas. WADOT owned the Mt Baker & Mt. Rainier, while Amtrak owned the Mt. Hood & Mt. Olympus. WADOT then brought the Las Vegas and renamed it to the Mt. Adams. But all trains started with 12 cars and at least as of 2010 still had 12 cars. And I don't recall seeing a longer train last October when many of us rode the Cascades during the Gathering.

AFAIK they still have 5 trainsets and operate 5 trainsets.

Wait! When did that happen?

Last I knew they had 5 trainsets and that's how many were originally built, although one set was supposed to work the LA to Las Vegas corridor and was named the Las Vegas. WADOT owned the Mt Baker & Mt. Rainier, while Amtrak owned the Mt. Hood & Mt. Olympus. WADOT then brought the Las Vegas and renamed it to the Mt. Adams. But all trains started with 12 cars and at least as of 2010 still had 12 cars. And I don't recall seeing a longer train last October when many of us rode the Cascades during the Gathering.

AFAIK they still have 5 trainsets and operate 5 trainsets.
Alan, you are correct. The idea of breaking up the existing trainsets and adding new cars has been discussed, but apparently it can't be done under the FRA waiver governing the existing Talgos.

Well as a Amtraker from washington, i would say no more talgos, dont like 'em, i say stick with amfleets or get a new type of car. And I hope these talgos dont look like school buses, cause if they do, i don't want them to be shipped to washington, because if they do,I don't want to have to deal with 4 school buses in seattle. :eek:hboy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back