888 replies to this topic

#1 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

An article in the Elmira, NY Stargazette describes the production of the Viewliner II order at the local CAF USA plant. One newsworthy item is that the first cars are now expected to be delivered in the first quarter of 2013, a delay from the initial schedule of October, 2012. There is also a set of photos (with some obtrusive ads at the bottom of each photo).

Article

Photos

#2 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I see there is a little bit of window changes. I do not believe the current cars have that small windows next to the large opening.

#3 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

An article in the Elmira, NY Stargazette describes the production of the Viewliner II order at the local CAF USA plant. One newsworthy item is that the first cars are now expected to be delivered in the first quarter of 2013, a delay from the initial schedule of October, 2012. There is also a set of photos (with some obtrusive ads at the bottom of each photo).

Article

Photos

Doesn't say whether that's calendar year 2013, or fiscal year 2013. If FY13, then that would be right on schedule.

#4 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Doesn't say whether that's calendar year 2013, or fiscal year 2013. If FY13, then that would be right on schedule.

The article also says the first quarter of 2013 is when the first allotment of cars will be delivered, implying delivery of multiple cars. The earlier Amtrak articles stated that the first car, a diner car, was scheduled to be delivered in October 2012 which could be delivery of a single unit for first article acceptance tests and extensive road & FRA mandated testing in Colorado. Once the first unit passes those tests, then the production delivery would begin.

Given the time needed to check the cars out, get the cars qualified, get the maintenance and operating crews certified on the new equipment, I would guess that the earliest date for entry into revenue service would likely be mid or late spring of 2013.

#5 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

I see there is a little bit of window changes. I do not believe the current cars have that small windows next to the large opening.

Based on pictures of 8400, I don't believe those are windows:
http://www.flickr.co...N05/6235570707/ (not my photo)
Looks like the car pictures in the article is a diner which jives nicely with what afigg said.

Edited by MattW, 29 January 2012 - 02:45 PM.

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#6 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'll be on the look out at Penn Coach Yard. The car in the article is a Bag-Dorm. With an opening that big and windows it's an obvious answer. I agree that those windows look a tad smaller. But one thing I agree with here is a supplement of cars instead stead of just one diner.
These posts are my views and opinions.

Frequent Acela Express,Northeast Regional and Keystone Service rider.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

#7 none

none

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N05/6235570707/
Looks like the car pictures in the article is a diner which jives nicely with what afigg said.

Nice photo - thanks.

#8 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'll be on the look out at Penn Coach Yard. The car in the article is a Bag-Dorm. With an opening that big and windows it's an obvious answer.

Not necessarily, all of the Viewliners have openings that large in the side to allow the modular interior to be installed.
TrainSig.jpg

#9 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N05/6235570707/

Yeah, you may be right. Anyone know what those grill things are on the dining cars? Kitchen vents?

#10 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Fantastic, photo's have finally been posted! I'm excited to see tangible evidence of the cars being manufactured for once, instead of simple reports saying "yes, there is a contract."

Those smaller 'windows' next to the plug? Air vents that all the Viewliners have for the HVAC and vacuum toilet systems.

I am willing to place a bet that the car we're seeing the most of in the photos is indeed a diner. The window setup is identical to 8400, with the double row on one side of the plug, but not the other. Instead, there just a single row of windows where the passage around the kitchen would be and no windows at all on the opposite wall.

Either way, this time next year we'll have new Viewliners rolling. Maybe not in revenue service yet, but there will be cars going down the tracks for testing and for delivery!

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x20); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x5); San Joaquin (x7); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x3); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#11 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Either way, this time next year we'll have new Viewliners rolling. Maybe not in revenue service yet, but there will be cars going down the tracks for testing and for delivery!

I expect there will be one or more dedicated serious railfans who will try to get pictures of the new Viewliners as they are moved from Elmira to Delaware. The articles says the cars will be completed in Elmira with trucks and will be moved to the NS yard and taken to Amtrak, presumably Bear? Getting a photo or video of one or more Viewliners of the first deliveries en route from Elmira would be a coup.

#12 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hah, I did just notice after taking a second look at the photos that the new Viewliner II cars have a different roof structure! The roof is curved and fluted, like the old Budd cars and the roof lines of the Superliners. The Viewliner I cars have smooth roofs, with a raised ridge up the center and are smooth, not fluted.

Look at the roof of the existing Viewliner I's:

And now the roof (before assembly) of a Viewliner II:

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x20); California Zephyr (x5); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x5); San Joaquin (x7); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x3); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#13 Guest_R30A_*

Guest_R30A_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Your observations on overall shape are obviously correct, but based on my memory of viewliners, and looking at those photos that you posted, I think the old ones are corrigated too.
With regards to what type of car that is, it appears as if immediately to the left of the plug there is only an upper window on the side we can see- This would roughly correspond to the location of roomette 2 in a modern viewliner. Could this be where the restrooms will be? The other side appears to retain the double window from other photos.

#14 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'll be on the look out at Penn Coach Yard. The car in the article is a Bag-Dorm. With an opening that big and windows it's an obvious answer.

Not necessarily, all of the Viewliners have openings that large in the side to allow the modular interior to be installed.

That's true. But looking at where the opening is compared to the windows it's a little far for that. Just my 2 cents. Although it could be as there is that little space for those grates can't remember what those are for. Maybe.

Edited by Acela150, 29 January 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#15 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Your observations on overall shape are obviously correct, but based on my memory of viewliners, and looking at those photos that you posted, I think the old ones are corrigated too.
With regards to what type of car that is, it appears as if immediately to the left of the plug there is only an upper window on the side we can see- This would roughly correspond to the location of roomette 2 in a modern viewliner. Could this be where the restrooms will be? The other side appears to retain the double window from other photos.

Look at slides 8 and 17 in the slide show, especially slide 17. That has to be a diner car.

#16 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Look at slides 8 and 17 in the slide show, especially slide 17. That has to be a diner car.

Slides 8 and 17 are either a sleeper or Bag-Dorm. Now that I look at it thanks to Ryan's statement it's more likely a Sleeper. That opening like Ryan said is to slip the Roomette modules in and out of the car. If it were a diner it would have a single door on both sides. The door wouldn't be that big. The door on the Diner's will be an Emergency Exit. Which the current Heritage Diner's don't have. They have a door but it's very very small just for putting food in the car.

#17 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Slides 8 and 17 are either a sleeper or Bag-Dorm. Now that I look at it thanks to Ryan's statement it's more likely a Sleeper. That opening like Ryan said is to slip the Roomette modules in and out of the car. If it were a diner it would have a single door on both sides. The door wouldn't be that big. The door on the Diner's will be an Emergency Exit. Which the current Heritage Diner's don't have. They have a door but it's very very small just for putting food in the car.

If I remember correctly, the small door you are talking about on the dining cars is actually located in the big module door. Check out pics of 8400 to see what I am talking about.

#18 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

No, ALL of the Viewliners will have the big hole in the side. You can clearly see it in the side of the 8400 diner that was posted earlier. Bags and bag dorms will have it too, to slip in the shelving modules and crew rooms.

Here's a 100% crop of the above 8400 picture where the opening is clearly visible:
Posted Image

Edit: The "no" was directed at Acela150 - Craig is absolutely right.

Edited by Ryan, 29 January 2012 - 10:13 PM.

TrainSig.jpg

#19 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ryan thanks for posting that. I never knew that "hole" was there on 8400. I've only seen it once. That was at Penn Coach Yard and that was from a great distance. Here is where I was standing. In the parking garage next to the Cira Center. It's a good 200-300 yards away. Maybe more. It's hard to see that far. Not to mention I wear glasses on a daily basis. But when I look at it close I see the module "hole".

#20 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

No problem - as they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words! :)

That's the real (unrealized until now) beauty of the Viewliner design - the carbody can be just about the same regardless of what variant it is, just slip in whatever modules you need. Alan has also made the point that this should make refurbs of the cars easy. Order a car's worth of extra modules, then when you bring a car into the shop, slide out the old and broken and slide in the new and refurbed. Fix up the old modules without having to have a car out of service while you do it.
TrainSig.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users