Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Buffalo, NY

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

Going to be passing through and spending some time in Buffalo on a layover between the southbound Maple Leaf and the westbound Lake Shore Limited. If everything is running on-time, we have just under 11 hours to cool our heels between trains! What Wikipedia has to say about Buffalo is a tad depressing, but I'd like to hear first-hand from more knowledgeable folks on what they say about the place and what there is to see/do!

Good restaurants? Breweries? Art Galleries? Museums?

We will be getting off the ML at Buffalo/Depew instead of Exchange Street mainly because we have luggage that we do not want to lug around; we want to check it immediately for our final destination in California after getting off the train from Canada. As such, we know that the station is some distance from the city center and know that Buffalo's public transit is pretty much non-existent. So! A taxi is likely to be used to get around. This trip is happening at the end of February, and we know the weather will be COLD! :o

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#2 SubwayNut

SubwayNut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Public Transit in Buffalo is slightly more existent than you might think they actually have a 1970s Metro Light Rail Line which is really interesting and free when above ground in the depressing downtown mall. I've only been there once taking a 3 hour layover at Exchange Street to ride their metro so don't have to much more advice. Google Maps does bring up a bus possibility from Depew (which has nothing around) into Downtown. If you do ride the bus a day pass is cheep.
Check out my website SubwayNut.com decidated to pictures of subway, light rail and railroad stations including nearly 200 that Amtrak stop at!

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

:hi: Buffalo is a Fascinating City! Ive layed over several times on the connection between the Leaf and the LSL! As was said, there are city busses that pick up @ Depew Station, the trip takes awhile to get downtown and the route isnt exactly thru the best part of town, but once you arrive downtown (Exchange Street station is close to the Hockey Rink and the Lake),if its a weekday, head to the Impressive City Hall and go up to the very top to take in the View! There are also lots of older buildings that have historical significance, and the Anchor Bar is where, (allegedly :lol:)Buffalo Wings were invented, great and popular Lunch place!! Buffalo is also famous for their Beef Sandwiches, Sausage and other Eastern European Favorites and Cold Beer! ^_^ , plenty of good eating joints around! Also as was said,, the Light Rail that runs out to the University is free long as youre above ground, but not really much to see in the burbs! You should be able to walk around easily downtown long as it isnt Snowing Heavily nor below Zero! Google up info on the various Tourist Sights, you shouldnt have any trouble finding plenty to do and see downtown, and since the LSL arrives so late @ night Id arrange for a Cab back to Depew Station in advance, should be able to snag one @ one of the Chain Hotels that are downtown along the Lakefront!

As was said, Dress Warm!, Buffalo can get Darn Cold, even though Syracuse gets more Snow!! :lol:

Edited by jimhudson, 29 January 2012 - 12:30 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,275 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

the Anchor Bar is where, (allegedly :lol:)Buffalo Wings were invented

Anchor Bar IS where Buffalo Wings first were served! I've eaten there, but personally I think I've had better!

What I'd like to know is how do Buffalos get off the ground with those tiny wings!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users