Stupid Roomette Tricks on the Northeast Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ttSta

Train Attendant
For two people traveling from Newark NJ to Washington DC, in business class in the low bucket, it's about $240. Acela Express, about $300.

For two people traveling from Newark NJ to Alexandria VA, in first class, in a roomette in the low bucket, it's $232.

So I can understand not opening up coach seats on long distance trains to local travel, but why not sell these rooms to the Regional crowd? And by booking to ALX instead of WAS, am I gaming the system? I'm actually staying in Alexandria. What if I got off in Washington instead? Would it be possible to take the Metro to Alexandria and be waiting for the Amtrak train I just left, to collect my bags and tip the attendant?

What if I got off in Washington instead? Would it be possible to take the Metro to Alexandria and be waiting for the Amtrak train I just left, to collect my bags and tip the attendant?
No. Can't get there fast enough by Metro. You have to take a Red line from Union Station to a Blue line to King Street [about 35 minutes, with waiting for the transfer], or take a Red line to Metro center and hop the Yellow line to King Street [variable, perhaps about 38 minutes, with the transfer wait]. Then you have to allow time to walk from the Metro station under an overpass to the Amtrak station.

Besides, there was a cracked rail on the Red Line today, so with single tracking and trains turning early, the advice was to allow an extra 30 minutes on the Red Line commute. Wasn't even a cold day. And we've had a cracked rail just about somewhere every cold day this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've discovered what I did about a year ago. Mind you, I usually do my trips to/from RVR, not WAS, but the principle is the same.

The reason these trains are locked off is as follows:

-If you fill up a Silver with corridor traffic, you lock out longer-distance traffic.

-NB, the trains are occasionally subject to delays over the thousand-or-so miles before WAS, which Amtrak is worried might tick off travelers on the NEC who're used to Regionals that are less commonly subject to such delays.

-By running discharge-only NB, they can make up a lot of time. I've been on Silvers that made up 45 minutes or more on the NEC.

Now, I've long wished that they would open up a set number of slots between WAS and NYP (and open more up if the train is running well below capacity in that area the week of departure), but that's just me. And my big thing is not only the lower cost, but the presence of a proper diner onboard...a fresh-cooked steak beats the stuffing out of anything a cafe car can offer any day of the week. Moreover, the ride is smoother...given the choice and no difference in cost, I'd rather be in a Viewliner roomette than in FC on the Acela.

As to tipping your SCA, just leave the cash behind in your roomette when you slip off. I've done that more than once.

Can't get there fast enough by Metro. You have to take a Red line from Union Station to a Blue line to King Street [about 35 minutes, with waiting for the transfer], or take a Red line to Metro center and hop the Yellow line to King Street [variable, perhaps about 38 minutes, with the transfer wait]. Then you have to allow time to walk from the Metro station under an overpass to the Amtrak station.
You're forgetting a key detail...the OP isn't leaving Union Station at the same time as the train. Rather, the OP is leaving when his/her train arrives into Union Station. But a LD train in WAS doesn't simply just stop and go right away. How long the train is there would vary depending on how fast it made its journey down the corridor, which train it is, etc. But in any case the OP can simply get off as soon as the train arrives, walk to the Metro and be on his/her way a (relatively) long time before the train leaves WAS.

That said, there's no particular rush if the goal is simply to collect a checked bag. The bag will be waiting isn't going anywhere...just go to the station office and show your claim check and it should be waiting there.

(As for a tip, if the OP is keen to do that, just do so before you get off the train...that doesn't especially have to happen in Alexandria.)

What if I got off in Washington instead? Would it be possible to take the Metro to Alexandria and be waiting for the Amtrak train I just left, to collect my bags and tip the attendant?
No.

Can't get there fast enough by Metro. You have to take a Red line from Union Station to a Blue line to King Street [about 35 minutes, with waiting for the transfer], or take a Rel line to Metro center and hop the Yellow line to King Street [variable, perhaps about 38 minutes, with the transfer wait]. Then you have to allow time to walk from the Metro station under an overpass to the Amtrak station.
Why not? Don't the Silvers do an engine change and WAS? Looking at the timetables on the NERs the run time from BAL to WAS is ~45 minutes and for the Acela's it's ~35 minutes. So lets assume the Silver Service makes it from BAL to WAS in 45 minutes. For the Meteor it departs BAL/WAS/ALX at 6:17PM/7:30PM/7:50PM. So if the train arrived at WAS around 7:00, the question becomes could you do an OJ Simpson/Hertz dash from trackside to the Metro and catch a subway in time to King Street. A look at the WMATA (DC Metro) trip planner indicates that one could catch the Metro (Red Line) at 7:12 PM, change to the Yellow Line at Gallery Place and arrive at King Street at 7:44. Then it would be another OJ type sprint out of the station and under the tunnel but in theory it might work. But I wouldn't plan on it.

Question for the guru's here: does an "R" station stop (Receive only) get skipped if there are no boarding pax? While I doubt there'd be no boarding pax at WAS, I suppose if there were none at BAL the train could arrive early at WAS. If so, I'm guessing it still couldn't leave WAS early (especially with an engine change if that's part of the deal). So if it didn't dwell at BAL or skipped it altogether because of no pax boarding and thus arrived around 6:45PM couldn't the plan could work. Worst case is the attendant doesn't get tipped but the bags would still be there since that's where they were checked to? These hypotheticals are fun.

i do have to say, given the choice I'd take a roomette for day travel over the Acela on this run. More train time for the price and depending upon the time of day it's not that much longer than the NERs. It appears to be about 45-60 minutes longer than the Acela and maybe 20 minutes longer than the Regional.

Blue skies ..

A first class Acela seat on the corridor beats sitting in a roommette anytime. Now if the Silvers carried a real Parlor Car.......
The roomette alone might be a toss-up (I prefer a private room where I can kick my feet up on the other chair or on the toilet cover, but that's just me), but the food on the train is substantially better, and included as well. The only thing the Acela has going for it on the "amenities" front is free booze (not an issue for me, I don't drink), and the Acela has one of the roughest rides in the system.

And technically, it's the Acela that lacks a parlor car (i.e. 1-1 first class seating)...with the Silvers, a proper lounge (or half-lounge, or bar-lounge) would be nice. But that's the PPC mangling terms which leads to those being considered "parlor cars".

A first class Acela seat on the corridor beats sitting in a roommette anytime. Now if the Silvers carried a real Parlor Car.......
Speak for yourself. Having done both NYP-WAS (or ALX) in a roomette and in Acela first class, I'd rather have the certainty and privacy of a roomette (can you always get two seat together in NYP?) and a dinner in a proper dining car. Plus you can check luggage if you're in the roomette, though having the Red Cap carry it on the Acela perhaps makes that aspect a wash.

WRT the free booze aspect, I'd rather carry my own better-quality booze and rely on Amtrak for setups and ice. I'm particularly unimpressed by Acela's sparkling wine.

Speak for yourself. Having done both NYP-WAS (or ALX) in a roomette and in Acela first class, I'd rather have the certainty and privacy of a roomette (can you always get two seat together in NYP?) and a dinner in a proper dining car. Plus you can check luggage if you're in the roomette, though having the Red Cap carry it on the Acela perhaps makes that aspect a wash.

WRT the free booze aspect, I'd rather carry my own better-quality booze and rely on Amtrak for setups and ice. I'm particularly unimpressed by Acela's sparkling wine.
One thing that we're all forgetting here, too: If I take the NB Meteor out of RVR, I can grab a few hours' sleep laying down before plodding off to breakfast around 8-8:30 AM (three to four hours' sleep is nothing to sneeze at), and then return to my room to await a usually-early arrival into NYP. Again, this is something I've done enough that it feels routine.

One thing that we're all forgetting here, too: If I take the NB Meteor out of RVR, I can grab a few hours' sleep laying down before plodding off to breakfast around 8-8:30 AM (three to four hours' sleep is nothing to sneeze at), and then return to my room to await a usually-early arrival into NYP. Again, this is something I've done enough that it feels routine.
Sleep? You sleep? :rolleyes:

Based on your posting times being all hours of the clock I figured you lived by the adage that there's time enough to sleep when you're dead.

Since the OP was speaking of going southbound from Newark to WAS/ALX, these sleep times would really be in late morning or or afternoon when the desire for sleep for much of the ridership is less pronounced. Still, if you wanted to I don't see why the sleeper couldn't be set up to accommodate a nap for the few hours it takes to go on this journey.

Maybe I'm anti-social but since the trip running times aren't as dreadful as they are outside the NEC, the price is essentially the same, and the Slivers allowed checked baggace, I would prefer the privacy and quiet of the sleeper to FC in the Acela as pleasant as that is. Other people's mileage may vary. Having said that, I'm looking at a potential trip from NPN/RVR to BOS and I'm seriously mulling the NER to WAS and then the Acela to BOS. If the SIlvers went to BOS or if the NER had an overnight sleeper as they did in days past, I'd be all over it! So lot's of variables go into the equation, including (gasp!) airline alternatives such as a non-stop from PHF to BOS and it seems I never make the same routing decision twice. Keeps my wife and co-workers guessing I suppose.

Blue skies ..

No.

Can't get there fast enough by Metro. You have to take a Red line from Union Station to a Blue line to King Street [about 35 minutes, with waiting for the transfer], or take a Rel line to Metro center and hop the Yellow line to King Street [variable, perhaps about 38 minutes, with the transfer wait]. Then you have to allow time to walk from the Metro station under an overpass to the Amtrak station.
[snipped] So if the train arrived at WAS around 7:00, the question becomes could you do an OJ Simpson/Hertz dash from trackside to the Metro and catch a subway in time to King Street. A look at the WMATA (DC Metro) trip planner indicates that one could catch the Metro (Red Line) at 7:12 PM, change to the Yellow Line at Gallery Place and arrive at King Street at 7:44. Then it would be another OJ type sprint out of the station and under the tunnel but in theory it might work.
My prior answer was meant to address only the part in bold above. I tried to snip out the other parts of the Original Post.

If you are looking at train 97, for example, you are talking about a time with high traffic and crowds at the stations. The average time between train 97's arrival in WAS and arrival in ALX is 48 minutes [over the past 10 days, with exception of one day when there was a service disruption]. The shortest time was 44 minutes.

97 reaches WAS near the end of the high Metro commuter traffic, so crowds will be a slow-down at Amtrak Union Station and Metro Station at Union Station in the late afternoon/early evening. Since Original Poster asked the question, I assumed OP was unfamiliar with the wmata trip planner site [where he could have looked up the info] and that OP lacked the SmartTrip card to get through the turnstiles. Under that assumption, OP would have to navigate unfamiliar territory from Amtrak car to station to Metro entrance to get to the ticket machines to buy a paper ticket. At around 7 pm, the machines will have lines of other passengers waiting to purchase, so an added delay there, at least a minute for each person in line ahead of him. Those minutes are significant; I hear stories almost daily about missed connections with Metro trains because the departing Metro train's doors closed while the commuter was stuck behind slow-moving people [often characterized as "tourists"] on the escalator.

The chances are extremely remote that a person unfamiliar with the system could make the first Metro Red after 97 arrives, then correctly transfer from Red to Yellow, or Red to Blue, and get both the correct station level and side of tracks for transfer, and also not face Metro having its own service disruptions [disruptions have happened every day for the past work week] to add the chances for missed transfers. So the probabality of achieving the 32-minute best case Metro-station to Metro-station trip are low . . . very, very low.

Add to that the fact that OP might be able to run down the escalator from King Street to the underpass, but he'd have to walk in the underpass at that time of day [the underpass is a narrow walkway, cars alongside, and certain to have other pedestrians blocking quick passage, it is only wide enough for a single pedestrian at spots] and then run back uphill to the sleeper in order to be waiting for the Amtrak train I just left

-----

I didn't address any other part of the original posting because I don't understand what was asked. What I don't get is -- OP suggests being in ALX at same time the train would have arrived anyway. So why should the OP get off at WAS? Why not enjoy an early dinner, go back to roomette to collect personal items while train is stationary in DC, and then be waiting at door in ALX for SCA to open door for deboarding? OP can tip SCA and collect baggage, there's no hassle, no chance of baggage heading south past ALX, cabs are waiting even closer than at Union Station, and Metro Rail and buses are also nearby. And OP has avoided paying Metro paper fare for the dash between WAS and ALX. So where's the point of exiting in DC?

No.

[snipped] So if the train arrived at WAS around 7:00, the question becomes could you do an OJ Simpson/Hertz dash from trackside to the Metro and catch a subway in time to King Street. A look at the WMATA (DC Metro) trip planner indicates that one could catch the Metro (Red Line) at 7:12 PM, change to the Yellow Line at Gallery Place and arrive at King Street at 7:44. Then it would be another OJ type sprint out of the station and under the tunnel but in theory it might work.
My prior answer was meant to address only the part in bold above. I tried to snip out the other parts of the Original Post.

If you are looking at train 97, for example, you are talking about a time with high traffic and crowds at the stations. The average time between train 97's arrival in WAS and arrival in ALX is 48 minutes [over the past 10 days, with exception of one day when there was a service disruption]. The shortest time was 44 minutes.

97 reaches WAS near the end of the high Metro commuter traffic, so crowds will be a slow-down at Amtrak Union Station and Metro Station at Union Station in the late afternoon/early evening. Since Original Poster asked the question, I assumed OP was unfamiliar with the wmata trip planner site [where he could have looked up the info] and that OP lacked the SmartTrip card to get through the turnstiles. Under that assumption, OP would have to navigate unfamiliar territory from Amtrak car to station to Metro entrance to get to the ticket machines to buy a paper ticket. At around 7 pm, the machines will have lines of other passengers waiting to purchase, so an added delay there, at least a minute for each person in line ahead of him. Those minutes are significant; I hear stories almost daily about missed connections with Metro trains because the departing Metro train's doors closed while the commuter was stuck behind slow-moving people [often characterized as "tourists"] on the escalator.

The chances are extremely remote that a person unfamiliar with the system could make the first Metro Red after 97 arrives, then correctly transfer from Red to Yellow, or Red to Blue, and get both the correct station level and side of tracks for transfer, and also not face Metro having its own service disruptions [disruptions have happened every day for the past work week] to add the chances for missed transfers. So the probabality of achieving the 32-minute best case Metro-station to Metro-station trip are low . . . very, very low.

Add to that the fact that OP might be able to run down the escalator from King Street to the underpass, but he'd have to walk in the underpass at that time of day [the underpass is a narrow walkway, cars alongside, and certain to have other pedestrians blocking quick passage, it is only wide enough for a single pedestrian at spots] and then run back uphill to the sleeper in order to be waiting for the Amtrak train I just left

-----

I didn't address any other part of the original posting because I don't understand what was asked. What I don't get is -- OP suggests being in ALX at same time the train would have arrived anyway. So why should the OP get off at WAS? Why not enjoy an early dinner, go back to roomette to collect personal items while train is stationary in DC, and then be waiting at door in ALX for SCA to open door for deboarding? OP can tip SCA and collect baggage, there's no hassle, no chance of baggage heading south past ALX, cabs are waiting even closer than at Union Station, and Metro Rail and buses are also nearby. And OP has avoided paying Metro paper fare for the dash between WAS and ALX. So where's the point of exiting in DC?
Really, I agree with all that your wrote. What's theoretically possible versus realistic and probable are two different things. I'm not sure why one would do the mad dashes we both described when as the OP indicated (s)he's staying near ALX anyway and that's where he bags are going since (s)he can't check them to WAS because (s)he can't buy a ticket only to WAS.. Assuming bags are the key here (otherwise just buy a ticket to ALX and get off one stop early), I suspect the OP might not have realized that (s)he need not meet the train just to get his bags; they'll be kept at ALX til (s)he picks them up. Given that, (s)he then wants to show that it is possible to ride from Newark to WAS despite the fact that Amtrack won't sell a ticket for doing only that.

Again, I agree with you .. not clear the motivation for going through these gyrations. Going in reverse though, if my time were really valuable that day, I could see wanting to check my bags early from say ALX to NYP, have meetings in the District but then board a stop later at WAS closer to departure time. But since WAS is a "D" - discharge only stop going northbound, I suspect that too would be a problem. Getting access to (or knowledge of) the right track would be a problem, let alone the possiblity that the conductor would have no-showed my ticket and room and sold an upgrade to someone else. Don't know enough about how this operates to say. But if I'm on Capitol Hill and really want that sleeper/diner for the trip northbound it sure would stink to have to backtrack to ALX just to ride back to WAS and sit there while they do what they do in WAS. Oh well, not everything has a remedy.

Blue skies ..

For two people traveling from Newark NJ to Washington DC, in business class in the low bucket, it's about $240. Acela Express, about $300.

For two people traveling from Newark NJ to Alexandria VA, in first class, in a roomette in the low bucket, it's $232.

So I can understand not opening up coach seats on long distance trains to local travel, but why not sell these rooms to the Regional crowd? And by booking to ALX instead of WAS, am I gaming the system? I'm actually staying in Alexandria. What if I got off in Washington instead? Would it be possible to take the Metro to Alexandria and be waiting for the Amtrak train I just left, to collect my bags and tip the attendant?
Why not just ride the train to Alexandria, tip the attendant and collect your bags and go to your hotel? That would be more logical. Why would you get off in Washington and then chase the train via Metro?

Why not just ride the train to Alexandria, tip the attendant and collect your bags and go to your hotel? That would be more logical. Why would you get off in Washington and then chase the train via Metro?
That's what I was thinking too.

I could see if the OP left the Silver upon arrival in Washington, and going on his marry way. However, the OP can't simply do that, he needs to go to Alexandria to collect his checked luggage. Though, with a roomette, possibly the OP could simply store all his luggage with him?

Thanks, Mike, for succinctly and appropriately restating my oh-so-wordy question to OP.

Well, the thread title is "Stupid Roomette Tricks" so that might explain things somewhat. :p

One other thing to remember- Long Distance trains cannot go as fast on the as regionals, since the heritage baggage and dinning cars cannot go over 100 (?) mph.

There have been times when I've gone from Philly to Washington, I watch the Crescent leave, get on my train 20 minutes later, then pass that same LD train somewhere down the line.

Comfort in a roomette is important, but if you are looking for speed this is not the way to go.

One other thing to remember- Long Distance trains cannot go as fast on the as regionals, since the heritage baggage and dinning cars cannot go over 100 (?) mph.

There have been times when I've gone from Philly to Washington, I watch the Crescent leave, get on my train 20 minutes later, then pass that same LD train somewhere down the line.

Comfort in a roomette is important, but if you are looking for speed this is not the way to go.

True, but the time differential doesn't seem all that bad, somewhere on the order of 30 minutes. Picking a random non-Acela NER train, say #173 which departs NWK at 3:51 and arrives WAS at 6:47 for a fast 2:56 run time, and comparing it to #97 Silver Meteor departing NWK at 3:38 PM and arriving somewhere around 7PM (I'm guessing since this isn't actually published that I can tell) for a 3:22 run time. Other NERs (including the dreadfully slow #67 with a run time of 3:37 between the points) are slower. Of course the real comparision I think was between the Acelas and the sleeper based on the pricing and in that case the differential is more like an hour.

True, but the time differential doesn't seem all that bad, somewhere on the order of 30 minutes. Picking a random non-Acela NER train, say #173 which departs NWK at 3:51 and arrives WAS at 6:47 for a fast 2:56 run time, and comparing it to #97 Silver Meteor departing NWK at 3:38 PM and arriving somewhere around 7PM (I'm guessing since this isn't actually published that I can tell) for a 3:22 run time. Other NERs (including the dreadfully slow #67 with a run time of 3:37 between the points) are slower. Of course the real comparision I think was between the Acelas and the sleeper based on the pricing and in that case the differential is more like an hour.
That's true; however, at least NB things are a little different. If the train is on time pulling out of RVR, however, it can keep pace with the fastest Regionals. Checking the timetable, I've been on a Silver Meteor that was averaging over 60 MPH all the way from RVR-NYP, engine change included (we got in at 10:06 or thereabouts...basically, we shaved an hour off the schedule). I can't find a Regional with a RVR-NYP schedule under six hours. This has raised the question of simply "shorting" the scheduled WAS stop on the timetable (declare the departure to be 7:00 AM) and allowing boardings there, be discharge-only afterwards, and move the 21 minutes "cut" from the WAS stop to padding on WAS-BAL. Alternatively, simply say "Train arrives at X. Be here at X, we board immediately."

That's true; however, at least NB things are a little different. If the train is on time pulling out of RVR, however, it can keep pace with the fastest Regionals. Checking the timetable, I've been on a Silver Meteor that was averaging over 60 MPH all the way from RVR-NYP, engine change included (we got in at 10:06 or thereabouts...basically, we shaved an hour off the schedule). I can't find a Regional with a RVR-NYP schedule under six hours. This has raised the question of simply "shorting" the scheduled WAS stop on the timetable (declare the departure to be 7:00 AM) and allowing boardings there, be discharge-only afterwards, and move the 21 minutes "cut" from the WAS stop to padding on WAS-BAL. Alternatively, simply say "Train arrives at X. Be here at X, we board immediately."
Help me out here, Anderson (or anyone else). I've only taken the Silver Star once from RVR to NYP last summer. I have a really strong recollection that it changed engines at WAS. Was I dreaming that? If not, wouldn't that limit how much time the stop at WAS could be shortened (either northbound or southbound).

If I had done a search ("discharge receive" alone produces a good start), I would have seen that (a) this has been discussed here before, and (b) there is a long and varied history of sleeper car use on the corridor.

So what started as finding a way to travel the corridor on trains with a baggage car attached (for same-train bicycle transport) ... became finding a way to add a room to the mix as well. Westbound from New York, I can ride the 79 Carolinian to all points past Newark, along with my checked baggage. Eastbound, however, in order to ride together with the baggage, boarding must be at Alexandria.

Meanwhile in first class, westbound, one can book a room -- essentially for corridor travel -- from New York to Alexandria, on each of the trains that call at ALX. The Cardinal timetable incorrectly lists ALX as an R stop, but the reservations system will book the 51 westbound from NWK-ALX. The same "asymmetry" that prevails with the baggage applies to the bedding: eastbound roomettes must be picked up at least one stop further west: Manassas for the Cardinal and Crescent, and Richmond for the Silvers.

Our solution for the long weekend trip to Washington? Well, after he and she saw that First Class to ALX could be had for the same as Business Class to WAS, we booked the Star in a room from Newark to Alexandria, including lunch, for Friday afternoon. Then Sunday, we'll board coach seats on the 51 westbound Cardinal, perhaps have some lunch, and detrain at Charlottesville. There we'll have some time (how much time remains to be seen, but we'll plan around that appropriately) before boarding the 50 eastbound Cardinal for the trip back to New Jersey, again in a roomette and with dinner.

Obviously, the minimization of travel time is not a factor; we just wanted to mix in a regular visit from this capital to that capital with something more exotic than biz class on a Regional, and less expensive than first class on an Express.

What about the bike? We'll have checked that in at ALX Sunday morning, so it should proceed directly east and precede out trip up the corridor by several hours. Now, if they let me take that thing *right* from the train the instant our westbound arrived at Washington Union Station, I could easily beat the train to ALX, but it doesn't work like that.

Help me out here, Anderson (or anyone else). I've only taken the Silver Star once from RVR to NYP last summer. I have a really strong recollection that it changed engines at WAS. Was I dreaming that? If not, wouldn't that limit how much time the stop at WAS could be shortened (either northbound or southbound).
You are correct; however, when producing the timetables, Amtrak seems to use the switch as an excuse for padding. Having been on more than one train pulling into WAS, my experience is that the switch usually occurs with plenty of time to spare: When I manage to board the SB Meteor out of the lounge and into coach (usually to the confusion of the station staff but with absolutely no issues raised by the OBS...any baloney about the crew being "not ready" is just that), the lights usually come on about ten minutes prior to departure.

By slipping the padding into the WAS-BAL section NB, you enable an early departure if circumstances permit it. Every other time heading up the corridor is an arrival time, not a departure time, meaning that if the train is early then...well, it's early and it is on its way once everyone discharges from it. Additionally, if there's a hangup with the engine...well, then it departs a few minutes late but it was still (presumably) on time into WAS and it will likely still be on time into BAL per the moved padding.

On the Carolinian (79), things are a little odd because of the mid-range nature of the trip: That's basically a corridor train that runs to Charlotte, so SB there's no issue letting folks on right away. NB, however, there's a risk of a lengthy delay from further on south...and Amtrak is a bit cautious these days about irritating NEC passengers with delays if they can help it (note that you can book much tighter "legal connections" within the NEC than elsewhere), so the booking is disallowed on the corridor.

Probably the worst part of all of this is the inability to book a room(ette) ALX-anywhere NB. I do find it odd that one can book NYP-ALX SB but not the reverse NB. My best guess is that this is called "please take the Acela", but it's a bit odd that there's a lockout one way but not the other for ALX (which is "outside" the main corridor).

On the Carolinian (79), things are a little odd because of the mid-range nature of the trip: That's basically a corridor train that runs to Charlotte, so SB there's no issue letting folks on right away. NB, however, there's a risk of a lengthy delay from further on south...and Amtrak is a bit cautious these days about irritating NEC passengers with delays if they can help it (note that you can book much tighter "legal connections" within the NEC than elsewhere), so the booking is disallowed on the corridor.
Thanksgiving 2009 they opened up 80 to local passengers, there were about 30 people boarding at Washington, and the train was late arriving, and everyone had to wait to board until they hooked up the electric locomotive.

The next year they did not make this train available, I don't know about 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back