I'm resurrecting this thread for a few questions.
First, the itinerary will almost certainly be OMA to TFI (though probably ELK to OMA on the way back...will get to that in a minute.)
I have a few questions before I book (as soon as I get enough credit opened up to book them; I pay my credit card off monthly, but I'm usually close to the limit because it's a low-limit card.)
1. If the train is over an hour late getting into SLC (thus missing the guaranteed bus connection with Greyhound), is it more likely that Amtrak will taxi/charter bus me up to TFI right when I get in (assuming it's not so chronically late that it's feasable to take the next Greyhound bus!) or room me for the night and put me on the next Greyhound bus?
1a. Would they pay for a room for the night if I'm late, assuming I'd get in sometime between midnight and 2-3am and they'd put me on the next Greyhound bus (which leaves at around noon the next day)?
2. Looking at the TFI - SLC bus connection, it looks like there's a looooooong layover (9-10 hours, assuming no delays) in SLC before boarding the Zephyr. Is there any way to reduce that time without driving down? If so, it seems like ELK would be a better option...any disadvantages for doing that?
3. What's the baggage policy for the bus? If I have two large bags that Amtrak allows (as carry-on baggage) but Greyhound normally wouldn't, would they still be allowed on since Amtrak said they would? Or is that something I don't want to test? Or am I able to check luggage on the bus (more than the carry-on allowance from Amtrak, that is)?
4. If I have a lot of baggage coming back, am I able to carry it on with me in ELK and have the additional baggage checked in SLC?
5. No one buy tickets on the route that would affect me; I don't want to lose the low bucket pricing on my trip!
Thanks again, everyone, for all your help!