Has anyone travel on the Cardinal recently?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I are taking our first trip to New York City next month, as well as our first trip by Amtrak. I've always wanted to travel by train and am excited, but I also have a ton of questions. Hopefully, someone has taken this route recently and can answer some questions and offer some advice for a newbie!!!!

When we board in Cincinnati, will they assign seats? If not, which side of the train should we sit for the best views?

Any hints for sleeping in a Coach seat? We will be boarding around 1:30 am. We couldn't afford a sleeping room, so we'll just be trying to catch some naps on the trip. Will we feel the train stop and start? I can fall sound asleep on an hour long car trip, but will it be a lot different on a train? Do I need to bring a pillow?

Are there power plugs at every seat? Also, is there a lounge or anything with movies/entertainment? We'll probably bring a laptop with movies, but if power is an issue we need some other options for this 18 hour trip.

I've seen the menus, and again, we'd like to save some money and the dinner prices are a little more than we wanted to do. Can we buy snacks/sandwiches to take back to our seats?

Are the bathrooms big enough to freshen up in mid-trip? Like wash your face, put on some makeup?

Will Penn Station be the last stop on our way there?

On the way back, from NY to Cincinnati, will we have to listen for the stations and know when to get off? Or will someone tell us? Which side of the train should we try to be on for the best views?

Are the trains generally on time? If they late, what are we talking about, 10 or 15 minutes, or an hour or more?

Sorry for all the questions. I've read the posts for new travelers, but haven't seen anything specific to the Cardinal.

Thanks so much!

LouLou

My husband and I are taking our first trip to New York City next month, as well as our first trip by Amtrak. I've always wanted to travel by train and am excited, but I also have a ton of questions. Hopefully, someone has taken this route recently and can answer some questions and offer some advice for a newbie!!!!

When we board in Cincinnati, will they assign seats? If not, which side of the train should we sit for the best views?

Any hints for sleeping in a Coach seat? We will be boarding around 1:30 am. We couldn't afford a sleeping room, so we'll just be trying to catch some naps on the trip. Will we feel the train stop and start? I can fall sound asleep on an hour long car trip, but will it be a lot different on a train? Do I need to bring a pillow?

Are there power plugs at every seat? Also, is there a lounge or anything with movies/entertainment? We'll probably bring a laptop with movies, but if power is an issue we need some other options for this 18 hour trip.

I've seen the menus, and again, we'd like to save some money and the dinner prices are a little more than we wanted to do. Can we buy snacks/sandwiches to take back to our seats?

Are the bathrooms big enough to freshen up in mid-trip? Like wash your face, put on some makeup?

On the way back, from NY to Cincinnati, will we have to listen for the stations and know when to get off? Or will someone tell us? Which side of the train should we try to be on for the best views?

Are the trains generally on time? If they late, what are we talking about, 10 or 15 minutes, or an hour or more?

Sorry for all the questions. I've read the posts for new travelers, but haven't seen anything specific to the Cardinal.

Thanks so much!

LouLou
To answer a few of your questions, aside from the seating ones.

Sleeping in a coach seat isn't bad. I usually bring a travel pillow and a sleep mask. For me it is similar to sleeping in the car. The windows will have curtains and it will be dark, so the mask for me is more of a personal preference.

You probably will feel the train stop and start, unless you are a heavy sleeper. They are smooth (the stops and starts) and you may even get used to it as the trip goes on.

Power at every seat? Depends on the rail car. You have a 50-50 shot (as in either you will or you won't!) ;)

You can always bring your own food. Personally, when in coach, I pack a small soft-sided cooler with (non-alcoholic) beverages and a subway sandwich (or something similar).

The bathrooms are big enough to splash some water on your face. Considerably larger than say an airplane restroom.

Yes, Penn Station is the last stop. And on the way back, the conductor should wake you before you get to Cincinnati.

Hope this helps!

I've never taken the Cardinal but I can answer a few things.

Entertainment wise, Amtrak does not provide any. There are outlets at every seat though, so charging your laptop should not be a problem. From what I can tell based on Google Maps, most of the area before the actual gorge will be on the left side, but the really scenic part should be on the right. I would try to get on the right if I were you. As to sleeping: yes, bring a pillow, and a (light/easy-traveling) blanket to get a decent sleep. You can buy snacks in the lounge and eat them anywhere you like. Your seats are just fine to eat at if you don''t want to pay for the dining meals on this trip. I do recommend having just one diner meal at least, but I know that the quality is not fantastic, and you should wait for other responses for people to tell you what is best there. Yes, the bathrooms will be a big enough to freshen up, for sure. Although not the best for using the bathroom, they would provide you with the privacy you want to do things like that. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the Amfleet coaches you'll be traveling in do NOT have a shower, so get that done the night before you leave. Coming back, if you'd like the same river views, then pick the left, but as I said, the river will be on both sides. If you would like to get up and have the ability for views on both sides, then I suggest going to the lounge. I assume that the windows will be slightly larger, but no promises.

Have a great first trip,

Johnny

I have been on the Cardinal many times. It is a nice train but around holiday times, it can be

a bit crowded. I agree with Johnny that from Cincinnati to the West Virginia border, the left

side is the most scenic. Through WV, the better scenery is on the right side. I would go for

the right side because much of the route through Kentucky will be in the dark.

Often time, the conductor will assign seats in coach. This makes it easier to notify passengers

when they are to detrain. My experience in coach is that most passengers use good manners and

show respect for the train staff and other passengers. As you know, there is always "one" in

the crowd!!

I hope you have a good travel on the train and a good time in New York.

Thanks so much!

LouLou
To answer a few of your questions, aside from the seating ones.

Sleeping in a coach seat isn't bad. I usually bring a travel pillow and a sleep mask. For me it is similar to sleeping in the car. The windows will have curtains and it will be dark, so the mask for me is more of a personal preference.

You probably will feel the train stop and start, unless you are a heavy sleeper. They are smooth (the stops and starts) and you may even get used to it as the trip goes on.

Power at every seat? Depends on the rail car. You have a 50-50 shot (as in either you will or you won't!) ;)

You can always bring your own food. Personally, when in coach, I pack a small soft-sided cooler with (non-alcoholic) beverages and a subway sandwich (or something similar).

The bathrooms are big enough to splash some water on your face. Considerably larger than say an airplane restroom.

Yes, Penn Station is the last stop. And on the way back, the conductor should wake you before you get to Cincinnati.

Hope this helps!
Power at every seat? I would say you have about a 95% shot at having power, so be sure to bring headseats and watch movies on your laptop.

Bathrooms are plenty big to freshen up and there are no showers for coach passengers on any train.

My suggestion is to bring a blanket, pillow, eye mask and ear plugs. Seats are large and recline nicely. Feel free to bring any snacks or drinks (non-alcoholic) on board with and you can get snacks, sandwiches, etc from the cafe portion of the lounge car.

You will be last stop into NYC and as mentioned, conductor should let you know just prior to your stop in Cinci.

Cardinal is fairly notorious for being late (hours) but recently has enjoyed early arrivals into Baltimore and NYC. Heading back to Cinci, I would expect to be late and pleasantly surprised if not.

Have a good trip

Thank you all for your quick answers! If other train passengers are as nice as you guys, we're in for a great trip!

Baggage -- I've read Amtrak's information; we can check 3 bags up to 36 inches, and carry-on two bags (26 or 28 inches), but everything needs to be under 50 pounds. We won't have much baggage on the way there, but are picking up some promotional items at our conference and figure we may have a bit more on the way back. So, we are taking some extra duffle bags.

Any advice, cautions, suggestions in regards to baggage?

Try to sit on the right hand side going to Virginia and NY. On the return try for the left side.

On the first morning you will look out the right and see wonderful views of the New River Gorge. The only way to get down into the gorge is on a whitewater rafting trip, or via Amtrak. The gorge is an American treasure that can only be experienced on a train ride - or in a raft.

Then as you enter Virginia you cross the Allegheny Divide at Allegheny, VA - no signs - just a series of tunnels. But the railroad winds its way through some very difficult mountain terrain. Then you will see "Jerry's Run" and "Moss Run". Nice scenic views from the train. Soon after that you will notice Humpback Covered Bridge in Covington (on the right - as you head east). Then the Jackson River and Clifton Forge, VA.

Between Clifton Forge and Charlottesville, VA is by far my favorite part. Huge cattle ranges - much like Montana, with Blue Ridge Mountains behind the ranges. Just ideal landscapes as you pass through the large open tracts and cattle ranges of Augusta County, VA (my favorite County in VA - as far as scenery goes). After Augusta County and Staunton, VA you will cross the Blue Ridge Range (about a half hour after Staunton, VA) and pass through a long tunnel. When you exit "Blue Ridge Tunnel" - the right side is probably as spectacular a view as you will ever see on a train in the US. It's about 1,000 feet down to the Valley below, as the train take the historic, high ride through Afton, VA - and then rugged mountain terrain as you come down, off of the Blue Ridge Range and prepare to enter Charlottesville, VA.

Between Charlottesville and Culpepper is really nice too - a perfect Valley setting with far off mountain ranges..

Bring a cooler with ice tea or soft drinks, snack, subs, etc.. They sell beer and wine in the lounge car.

Enjoy the trip.

Thank you all for your quick answers! If other train passengers are as nice as you guys, we're in for a great trip!

Baggage -- I've read Amtrak's information; we can check 3 bags up to 36 inches, and carry-on two bags (26 or 28 inches), but everything needs to be under 50 pounds. We won't have much baggage on the way there, but are picking up some promotional items at our conference and figure we may have a bit more on the way back. So, we are taking some extra duffle bags.

Lots of room for luggage and bags on trains, so no worries. As long as you can carry it on the train, you will be good to go.

And yes, train passengers are generally very nice as a whole and there is usually a sense of community on the train.

Hi LouLouRJ,

Just curious how your trip went? We're taking the Cardinal to NYC from Indy in a couple of weeks. Any tips to add to the comment string here?

Thanks!

Hi LouLouRJ,

Just curious how your trip went? We're taking the Cardinal to NYC from Indy in a couple of weeks. Any tips to add to the comment string here?

Thanks!
I.m afraid LouLou hasn't signed on for over 2.5 years, so probably unlikely he will answer your question. But, maybe another member can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back