Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Name That Station!

• Please log in to reply
5511 replies to this topic

#1 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

OK folks, I'm assuming you've seen stuff like this before on other forums. If not here's the deal. Someone posts an image of a station that is hopefully not too hard, but also not too obvious, and other folks try to remember (or guess) which station it is. Whoever guesses correctly posts the next image and so on.

Let's start off with one guess per person per calendar day and one visual or written hint from the original poster per day after the first until successfully guessed by another poster.

Active Amtrak passenger stations are allowed.

Inactive Amtrak passenger stations along active Amtrak routes are also allowed.

Stations can be used more than once provided the angle/season/lighting/interior/exterior etc. is substantially different.

Everything else is off-limits for now, including stations that are off-network or no longer standing.

If you've posted a station for people to name be sure to check back periodically to either name the winner or to add another hint.

You can include an additional photo of the station upon acknowledging the winning answer if you so choose.

If you guess correctly be prepared to post the next picture or open the thread to whoever has the next image ready.

Sound good? Let's get started!

Posted Image
^NAME THAT STATION!

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

Tough one Chris! Im gonna guess that it's the Amshak in SAS,( the crew and bagggage part towards the AlamoDome) your home station?? :unsure:** Love the New Flavor of the Month Avatar! :rolleyes:

Edited by jimhudson, 05 December 2011 - 06:55 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

Sorry, but no! ^_^

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#4 Mackensen

Mackensen

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

How about Alpine? It's that style at least.

Routes traveled: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, International Limited, Lake Cities, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pere Marquette, Southwest Chief, Twilight Limited, Vermonter, Wolverine. Total miles 41,649+

#5 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

How about Alpine? It's that style at least.

I agree!
Posted Image
All-Time Amtrak rail ridership between 1990 and 01/11/2015
710 segments 135084 miles
Top 5 mileage years: 2012 (17833), 2011 (13528), 1998 (13286) , 1997 (13181), 2010 (12709)

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Good work. Now post the next one. :P

If you guess correctly be prepared to post the next picture or open the thread to whoever has the next image ready.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 Mackensen

Mackensen

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

Okay, we'll do an easy one (I think). Mostly I just want an excuse to post this, and most of my station pics have the sign!

Posted Image

Routes traveled: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, International Limited, Lake Cities, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pere Marquette, Southwest Chief, Twilight Limited, Vermonter, Wolverine. Total miles 41,649+

#8 abcnews

abcnews

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

So how do you add a photo? I have a few good ones....
www.miketopham.com

blog: miketophamblog.com

#9 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

I know where is that picture! I'm not giving you a hint. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to post another station.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#10 johnny.menhennet

johnny.menhennet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:taekwondo, geography, current events, speech and debate, TRAINS

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

Okay, we'll do an easy one (I think). Mostly I just want an excuse to post this, and most of my station pics have the sign!

Posted Image

Haven't ridden through in years... but I think that's Lamy!!!

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (100000000000), Southwest Chief (5), California Zephyr (1), Coast Starlight (6), Capitol Corridor (1), Empire Builder (2), Acela Express (1), LSL (1), NE Regional (2)
Non-Amtrak: NCTD Coaster (at least 20), Metrolink (4), SD Trolley (at least 20), LACMTA Red Line (at least 50), Seattle Streetcar (1), Chicago 'L' (probably 13), NYC Subway (probably 15), WMATA Mass Transit (probably 20), LIRR (1), Las Vegas Monorail (at least 12), MBTA Mass Transit (16), NJ Transit commuter rail (3), I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

upcoming Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (10000000000 more)
upcoming non-Amtrak: Coaster, Red Line/Expo Line in LA, NJ Transit (5-10)

Pretty good for a 16 year old :)

#11 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Sorry, but no! ^_^

Didnt know we got two guesses, my next one would have been Alpine, my birthplace! ^_^

The next pic (with the old car) sure looks familiar, just cant place it right now!! Is it on the SWC Route??(say in Lamy,NM?) :unsure:

Edited by jimhudson, 06 December 2011 - 12:05 AM.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#12 jdcnosse

jdcnosse

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

I'm gonna guess Lamy too...I seem to recognize that car :-P and Lamy was where the SWC stopped last time I was on it to pick up some private cars.

I'll post a picture however :)

Posted Image
Trains I've been on so far:
Round-trip: International Limited (LNS to TWO), Pere Marquette (GRR to CHI), Southwest Chief (CHI to FLG), Blue Water (CHI to KAL)

One-way: Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited (CHI to LVW, FTW to TUS), Ambus (LVW to FTW)
Miles traveled on Amtrak: 15,044 mi

#13 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Here's an inside shot of a station.
It has been posted before. It is not
a good photo of the station, but I'm
certain someone will recognize the station.

Posted Image
Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#14 MrFSS

MrFSS

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Here's an inside shot of a station.
It has been posted before. It is not
a good photo of the station, but I'm
certain someone will recognize the station.

Posted Image

The PennyK Memorial NYP Station and turning point.

#15 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,301 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Is that NYP or a Mall? :rolleyes: Well, it works in Washington Union Station, guess any decoration improves tht dump called NYP! ^_^ (The model isnt bad, is she famous? :lol: )

#16 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,280 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

The model ... is she famous? :lol:

In her own mind!Posted Image ("I met a lot of Canadians - [on a train inside Canada])"Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#17 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

How about this famous station:

Posted Image
Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

I think that you're supposed to correctly guess the station in post #12 before you go posting more pictures for people to guess.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#19 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

Sorry. I reread the instructions.
Please disregard my post.

#20 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Sorry. I reread the instructions.
Please disregard my post.

No biggie. ^_^

As Ryan said, the idea is to correctly identify (or guess) the previous station's photo or image. We each get one chance to guess per day. If you're the first person to correctly identify the station in question then you alone are supposed to post a photo or image (such as a portion of a painted postcard) of the next station to guess. Or you can simply open the thread up to whoever has an image or photo ready for posting. The idea is not to post something obvious or something completely impossible to recognize. Full profile images or photos of clearly unique aspects of major stations are not what we're looking for. Nor are we looking for a zoomed-in picture of a single generic fixture that could be from just about anywhere. It should be hard to guess but not impossible to research. If you're going to pick a popular station then focus on a portion of it is not obvious or well known. It should be something just generic enough that even those who are already familiar with the station still might get it wrong on their first try. On the other hand, if you're posting a picture of a dilapidated station that hasn't had service in decades and is only seen from your window while being passed at 50+MPH then you should probably post a slightly more obvious angle. Hope that helps clarify the idea. If we need to we can always fine tune the rules as we see fit. :cool:

So how do you add a photo? I have a few good ones.

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with a site like Photobucket.com

Edited by Texas Sunset, 06 December 2011 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users