Layover in Sacramento

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchBishop

Train Attendant
After Christmas we are traveling from OMA to PDX via SAC. There is a 9+hour scheduled layover in SAC, but based on the CZ almost always being late, I expect a shorter visit. What I am looking for is a restaurant that is an easy walk (couple blocks) or is on the Gold Line light rail so I can take it to restaurant and back to station.

Anyone know of a good place?

Thanks for asking, we will be doing that in January, and I was wondering about that and if you could check your bags at the station while you went out to do so. :help: (hope you don't mind me tacking on your OP)

I'll tackle this one. Sacramento is an odd city in some ways, probably one of the biggest reasons being it is entirely government-oriented. The date of your lay-over, is it a weekend or a weekday? This is important because it will change your options (most restaurants and service industry in Sac depends on if government offices are open or not.)

Yes, you do have Old Sacramento right next to the train station. There are signs in the parking lot and at the West end of the platforms directing you toward it, and it is worth at least walking through. There are a few good places to eat in there, including Fat's and the Delta King (sister-ship to the Delta Queen, two very famous steam river boats with the King now permanently moored in Sacramento as a restaurant and hotel.) There's a Joe's Crab Shack there too, if you want to do the chain food thing. Better yet, if you have the time (and I think you will have plenty) and it is open, I highly recommend a visit to the California State Railroad Museum, also in Sacramento. World-Class, very nice, and very worth it. That is, if you want to do more than just ride the train but also learn about the route you just traveled through on the CZ.

The weekend vs. weekday difference will also change up the schedule for the Gold Line lightrail. Enjoy your time in Sacramento!

I took this trip in June. I took the CZ to Emeryville ( cuts the layover down) to get more train time. There is a Shopping Mall across the tracks with a huge International Food Court (where I had dinner) & a Movie Theater ( where I took in a movie)!!!! I highly suggest this option!!!

Have Fun

Thanks for asking, we will be doing that in January, and I was wondering about that and if you could check your bags at the station while you went out to do so. :help: (hope you don't mind me tacking on your OP)
I have no restaurant recommendations, but you may store your bags at the baggage counter for the day. IIRC $3 per bag.

After Christmas we are traveling from OMA to PDX via SAC. There is a 9+hour scheduled layover in SAC, but based on the CZ almost always being late, I expect a shorter visit. What I am looking for is a restaurant that is an easy walk (couple blocks) or is on the Gold Line light rail so I can take it to restaurant and back to station.

Anyone know of a good place?
What type of restaurant are you looking for both food wise and price wise? It would help me make some recommendations to you.

Will be there on the Wednesday after Christmas.

When I travel I usually ask someone the following question, "If you were wanting to go out for dinner, not spend an arm and a leg, but get a good meal, where would you go?" As far as type of food, I am open to anything, I would rather not eat at a chain, unless it's a chain I can't get to here in Kansas. I don't want to have to worry about a dress code either, probably traveling in jeans.

I have the problem of not having my own transportation, that's why I was thinking easy walk or Gold Line.

My wife has a bad knee and it doesn't take much walking to bother her. Even the three blocks or so could be more than she would want to do.

My wife and I went from Lincoln NE to SAC just last fall on our honeymoon and then took the Coast Starlight to Seattle to see the Huskers vs Huskies football game. There's a real inexpensive hotel we booked when we arrived (early) just across the street from the station. We checked in and then proceeded to the California Rail Musuem. It was great. From there we went to Old Town Sac (all by foot) and took in the sights for about 3 hours and ate at a wonderful Mexican Restaurant. We then went back to our $60 hotel room, showered and watch Monday Night Football then checked out and walked to the station for the on time Coast Starlight. We got a "real" shower, some rest, some sightseeing, great shopping and watched the Chiefs beat the Chargers. You couldn't have had a better layover than we did! The hotel we stayed in was where the crew(s) of Amtrak stay as well. It wasn't spiffy but comfortable for what little we needed it.

When I travel I usually ask someone the following question, "If you were wanting to go out for dinner, not spend an arm and a leg, but get a good meal, where would you go?" As far as type of food, I am open to anything, I would rather not eat at a chain, unless it's a chain I can't get to here in Kansas. I don't want to have to worry about a dress code either, probably traveling in jeans.

I have the problem of not having my own transportation, that's why I was thinking easy walk or Gold Line.

My wife has a bad knee and it doesn't take much walking to bother her. Even the three blocks or so could be more than she would want to do.
Thanks for that. Knowing this makes it a little easier. I will recommend places either off of the light rail (Gold Line) and the #30 bus line which originates at the Amtrak station and runs outbound on J Street and inbound on L Street.

These are in no particular order.

1. Ernesto's (16th Street and S Street). This Mexican restaurant is located two short blocks south of the 16th Street light rail station and is consistently rated one of the top Mexican restaurants here in Sacramento. The prices are also very reasonable.

2. Burgers and Brew (14th and R Streets). This is a new place in a strip of new bars and eateries. They are a higher end hamburger (and other things) place with an extensive menu and a very nice beer selection. To get here take the light rail to 13th Street go one block south to R Street and turn left it is closer to the 14th Street side of the building.

3. Hot Italian (16th and Q Streets). This place is a little over a year old now and is one of the top pizza places in town. The owner is from Naples and does a wide variety of individual sized pizzas. They also have really good gelato. It is also one block north of the 16th Street light rail station.

4. Crepeville (18th Street and L Street) A nice little neighborhood place that serves breakfast type fare and sandwiches, etc. My place of choice when I want breakfast for dinner. They are cash only. To get here you would take the #30 bus to 18th Street and walk 2 blocks south to L Street.

I would also recommend one restaurant in the downtown area near the station but due to your wife's mobility issues I preface this with it is a three and a half block walk so it might pose an issue. 4th Street Grille (4th and L Street) it's a good place with a very nice menu and good atmosphere. It is probably the most expensive of the group and might be borderline out of price range but I like it and am happy to recommend it too.

There is also a good Thai place called Bangkok @12th on the corner of 12th and I Streets about six blocks east of the Amtrak station. It is reachable on the #30 bus from the 11th Street stop and it is also kitty corner to the 12th and I light rail station (Blue Line) which to get back would require a light rail transfer at Archives (without having to walk a block which you could do on K Street).

In Sacramento for the most part the restaurants are clustered in the "Midtown" area along the 16th Street corridor and along Capitol Avenue in the area between 17th and 21st Streets. A number of the downtown eateries close when the state worker lunch crowd dies down around 2 or 3 PM. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

My wife and I went from Lincoln NE to SAC just last fall on our honeymoon and then took the Coast Starlight to Seattle to see the Huskers vs Huskies football game. There's a real inexpensive hotel we booked when we arrived (early) just across the street from the station. We checked in and then proceeded to the California Rail Musuem. It was great. From there we went to Old Town Sac (all by foot) and took in the sights for about 3 hours and ate at a wonderful Mexican Restaurant. We then went back to our $60 hotel room, showered and watch Monday Night Football then checked out and walked to the station for the on time Coast Starlight. We got a "real" shower, some rest, some sightseeing, great shopping and watched the Chiefs beat the Chargers. You couldn't have had a better layover than we did! The hotel we stayed in was where the crew(s) of Amtrak stay as well. It wasn't spiffy but comfortable for what little we needed it.
I'm quite sure that the Vagabond Inn is where you stayed. I agree with your description of the place. I might add, that there is a Denny's restaurant next door, should anyone be interested.

Thanks for that. Knowing this makes it a little easier. I will recommend places either off of the light rail (Gold Line) and the #30 bus line which originates at the Amtrak station and runs outbound on J Street and inbound on L Street.

1. Ernesto's (16th Street and S Street). This Mexican restaurant is located two short blocks south of the 16th Street light rail station and is consistently rated one of the top Mexican restaurants here in Sacramento. The prices are also very reasonable.

2. Burgers and Brew (14th and R Streets). This is a new place in a strip of new bars and eateries. They are a higher end hamburger (and other things) place with an extensive menu and a very nice beer selection. To get here take the light rail to 13th Street go one block south to R Street and turn left it is closer to the 14th Street side of the building.

3. Hot Italian (16th and Q Streets). This place is a little over a year old now and is one of the top pizza places in town. The owner is from Naples and does a wide variety of individual sized pizzas. They also have really good gelato. It is also one block north of the 16th Street light rail station.

4. Crepeville (18th Street and L Street) A nice little neighborhood place that serves breakfast type fare and sandwiches, etc. My place of choice when I want breakfast for dinner. They are cash only. To get here you would take the #30 bus to 18th Street and walk 2 blocks south to L Street.

I would also recommend one restaurant in the downtown area near the station but due to your wife's mobility issues I preface this with it is a three and a half block walk so it might pose an issue. 4th Street Grille (4th and L Street) it's a good place with a very nice menu and good atmosphere. It is probably the most expensive of the group and might be borderline out of price range but I like it and am happy to recommend it too.

There is also a good Thai place called Bangkok @12th on the corner of 12th and I Streets about six blocks east of the Amtrak station. It is reachable on the #30 bus from the 11th Street stop and it is also kitty corner to the 12th and I light rail station (Blue Line) which to get back would require a light rail transfer at Archives (without having to walk a block which you could do on K Street).

In Sacramento for the most part the restaurants are clustered in the "Midtown" area along the 16th Street corridor and along Capitol Avenue in the area between 17th and 21st Streets. A number of the downtown eateries close when the state worker lunch crowd dies down around 2 or 3 PM. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
To add to the above, should you crave a longer ride on the Gold Line, you could go all the way out to the Sunrise station (about a 40 minute ride), and consider the Sheepherder Bar and Grille, across the street from the Sunrise Station. If you google that, some links may say the place is closed, but it definitely has re-opened. I ate there a month or so ago, and was quite satified. There are not many other choices farther out on the Gold Line, other than in Folsom (where there are several good choices), but unfortunately light rail service beyond Sunrise to Folsom closes down at 7pm.

Thanks for this information, all of these sound good, may be a challenge to pick one.

Honestly another concern I have is when we get to SAC. If the train was on time, we would have a 9+ hour layover, but 4 of the last 14 have been over 3 hours late leaving OMA with one being over 7 hours. So another concern is getting around SAC after dark.

Is there a way to look up when the trains have arrived in SAC over say the last 15 days or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back