4 replies to this topic

#1 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

The LA Times did an article on Rick Perry's past efforts at transportation infrastructure improvements in Texas, including HSR.

Edit: fixed link

Edited by leemell, 21 November 2011 - 06:47 PM.

#2 johnny.menhennet

johnny.menhennet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:taekwondo, geography, current events, speech and debate, TRAINS

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

link doesn't connect... sounds interesting though

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (100000000000), Southwest Chief (5), California Zephyr (1), Coast Starlight (6), Capitol Corridor (1), Empire Builder (2), Acela Express (1), LSL (1), NE Regional (2)
Non-Amtrak: NCTD Coaster (at least 20), Metrolink (4), SD Trolley (at least 20), LACMTA Red Line (at least 50), Seattle Streetcar (1), Chicago 'L' (probably 13), NYC Subway (probably 15), WMATA Mass Transit (probably 20), LIRR (1), Las Vegas Monorail (at least 12), MBTA Mass Transit (16), NJ Transit commuter rail (3), I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

upcoming Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (10000000000 more)
upcoming non-Amtrak: Coaster, Red Line/Expo Line in LA, NJ Transit (5-10)

Pretty good for a 16 year old :)

#3 bobnabq

bobnabq

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

The LA Times did an article on Rick Perry's past efforts at transportation infrastructure improvements in Texas, including HSR.

I've given Rick Perry a lot of thought and I'd like to say........................................Ooooops ~ forgot !
"You never know when you get up in the morning what the day will bring."

#4 Gratt

Gratt

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Edit: fixed link

Rick Perry's Trans Texas Corridor had little to do with HSR. From a transportation perspective it was an unmitigated disaster, and it was killed because our governor is a blithering idiot as this article clearly showed.

the corridor theoretically would have included rail but I doubt if it would ever see any passengers as the line avoided going any where near major cities.

It was also designed to discourage local use as much as possible by making on and off ramps as infrequent as possible. Basically it was a high capacity freight and shipping route.

It was killed basically because the local population would have all the negative impacts of such a large freeway going through their area without any of the positive impacts.

This ladies and gentlemen is what happens when you give a bunch of Aggies some power.

#5 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Rick Perry's Trans Texas Corridor had little to do with HSR. From a transportation perspective it was an unmitigated disaster, and it was killed because our governor is a blithering idiot as this article clearly showed.

I think Gov. Perry showed that when it was time for his close-up inspection in the Presidential campaign. Seriously unprepared to run for a national office.

HSR in Texas will someday happen. It will take a more capable and forward looking Governor to help make it happen with all the other political and business community elements that will have to fall in place.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users