Walnut Ridge Arkansas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonys96

Conductor
I have ridden (rode??) the TE to St. Louis before, but this coming January I will be needing to go to Jonesboro, Arkansas, for an NCAA Women's bowling tourney. My adopted neice got a full ride scholarship to La. Tech for bowling, and her dad and I go to watch her as much as possible. Last year I rode the TE to Little Rock for a tourney in Little Rock, but this year they moved that one to Jonesboro.....

I could ride o Little Rock again, but the drive to Jonesboro is 140 miles, so I thought I would just go to Walnut Ridge instead...........my questions are:

1. Has anyone ever stopped there?

2. Arrival is quite late (1:30 AM) so is there anywhere to either get a car rental, or a cheap hotel to get some sleep until the next morning to to get a car?

Thanks!

I don't remember ever going there, but Walnut Ridge is a tiny little town of under 5,000 people. It has a nicely restored historic station, three places to eat in town and no hotels or rent car places. There is a Motel out on highway 67 business which is several blocks from the depot called the Phillips Motel, 870-886-6767. You can call them and see if they can pick you up at the station at 1:30 in the morning and that is if the train is on time. http://cityofwalnutridge.com/local/walnut-ridge-depot/

Nearest rent a car is Enterprise in Jonesboro. They advertise they will pick you up so call them and see if they will deliver to Walnut Ridge 870-972-0505. I had fun looking all this up, but I still don't know why the Eagle stops there. Given the times the train arrives and all I would go to Little Rock and rent a car from there.

Well, it has been something like 40 years since I have been there, but here are a few facts to consider.

At Walnut Ridge you are 25 miles from Jonesboro.

Public transport other than the Amtrak train through there is probably nil.

Likewise, I wousl suspect that picking up a rent car in the middle of the night, if there is any to be found in the area would not be possible.

Walnut Ridge to Hoxie is 3 miles, or more like 2.8 miles Amtrak station to old US 63 intersection.

There used to be Trailways buses along US 63 that would get you between Hoxie and Jonesboro, but I am sure they are long gone.

A look at Google maps did not show any hotels/motels in the vicinity.

There may or may not be a taxi to be found in the Walnut Ridge / Hoxie area. If there is you would probably need to call before you get there to set up metting him. If there is, a call to them sould get you the answer to the hotel/motel question, or even the cost of the taxi taking you to Jonesboro. (I am asuming that you have a place to stay when you get there, even if it is 2:30 am.)

Since it is a neice you are taling about, I am assuming that you do not want to ask her to do a middle of the night drive to pick you up. (I would not.)

OK, ny ciouriosity got the beter of me. A look at Google shows one,, that is, ONE motel in Walnut Ridge. It is the Phillips motel on Business Hwy 67 north. Google says it is about 3/4, and gives walking directions to get there from the Amtrak stop. With a little editing and explanations on my part, here they are:

Head northeast (that is parallel to the railroad) on NW 5th St to MAin Street.

(Google gives a distance, but it is so small, that it will actually depend upon where your feet hiththe ground when you get off the train.)

Turn left on Main street.

Go three blocks to 4th street.

Turn right on 4th St. This streeet is also Business US67 north

After about four blocks the highway takes a curve to the left. Stay on it. Go past the intersection with 5th St. By a little past this point or shortly therreafter, you should be able to see the motel on your left.

I ahve no idea what walking through Walnut Ridge in the middle of the night is like, whether it is completely safe or you would likely dissapear without a trace.

Nearest rent a car is Enterprise in Jonesboro. They advertise they will pick you up so call them and see if they will deliver to Walnut Ridge 870-972-0505. I had fun looking all this up, but I still don't know why the Eagle stops there. Given the times the train arrives and all I would go to Little Rock and rent a car from there.
Ah, you were looking while I was looking. Seems we found much the same things.

As to why the stop: Must be that there is enough pasenger loading to justify keeping it. It si after all fairly close to Jonesboro, which is noth quite a bit larger and a college town.

Back in the day of more significant passenger service when the MoPac has several trains and the Frisco was runnign two per day, the major stop was Hoxie because of the Frisco-MoPac interchange. Several of the Mopac trains that stopped at Hoxie blew right through Walnut Ridge.

I've driven through walnut ridge. I would not rely on the rental car agency to pick you up. You are better off going to little rock and getting a rental car there and driving back to Jonesboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back