Auto Train Bedroom Layouts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MAB-Passenger

We are avid Amtrak users and generally take a few trips each year. Our favorite is the auto train and we will be leaving on it again in less than 2 weeks. The question I have relates to the deluxe sleeper compartments...is there a way to determine which directio the couch will be facing? We are in E going Southbound and J going Northbound.

The following website does show the internals of the sleeper compartments but not for the auto train.

http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Thank you.

The diagrams you reference are the same cars used on AutoTrain. In fact the deluxe sleeper shown is only used on the AutoTrain. In the 'old days' bedrooms were generally on the right hand side as you look forward. One exception was a train called the 20th Century Limited. The bedrooms were on the left so the passengers could see the the Hudson river in the evening on the westbound trip. But on most Amtrak trains today it is mostly pot luck. Perhaps they are more consistent on AutoTrain, but don't know for sure.

When I rode the AT roundtrip last year, I think that all the bedrooms, including those in the deluxe sleepers, were facing east in both directions. I don't believe they wye the passenger cars at either end, so car orientations should be fairly consistent.

Anyone with a better memory or more recent report, please correct me.

just what is the AUTO TRAIN? :help:
It's a train that runs between Lorton, VA (just south of DC) to Sanford, FL (just northeast of Orlando) that allows one to bring along one's car/SUV for the ride. You board around 3PM and wake up the next morning at the other station. There are no intermediate passenger stops, it's an express run essentially.

If you're interested, you can learn more by reading this Hints & Tips over at On Track On Line.

We've taken five trips on the Autotrain. Leaving Lorton and heading South we have always had a bedroom on the right side of the Superliner delux sleeper. Leaving Sanford, I recall the bedroom being on the left side (same side only heading North). It should still be this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back