#1 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Trains, Ships, Wildlife, Gardening

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

One of our favorite stopovers from the Southwest Chief is Santa Fe, New Mexico. The station stop is Lamy- there is a van which meets the train to bring people to Santa Fe. We like to stay one or two nights, near town, and walk to the Plaza with its restaurants,shops, Indian Market,nearby museums, art galleries, and old buildings. When we get the van from the Lamy station, we make plans with the driver for the trip back. It is convenient and enjoyable to visit this old city full of color, ancient art, and activity.

Train Trips: Acela Express, California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (2x), Coast Starlight (4x), Desert Wind, Lake Shore Limited (6x), Northeast Regional (many times), Pacific Surfliner (2x), Silver Meteor (7x), Southwest Chief (4x), Cardinal.

#2 bobnabq

bobnabq

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

One of our favorite stopovers from the Southwest Chief is Santa Fe, New Mexico. The station stop is Lamy- there is a van which meets the train to bring people to Santa Fe. We like to stay one or two nights, near town, and walk to the Plaza with its restaurants,shops, Indian Market,nearby museums, art galleries, and old buildings. When we get the van from the Lamy station, we make plans with the driver for the trip back. It is convenient and enjoyable to visit this old city full of color, ancient art, and activity.

May I ask, which hotel you stay at? I live in Albuquerque and would enjoy a few days in Santa Fe.
"You never know when you get up in the morning what the day will bring."

#3 NETrainfan

NETrainfan

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Trains, Ships, Wildlife, Gardening

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

We stayed at the Alexander's Inn. Nice B&B.

Train Trips: Acela Express, California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (2x), Coast Starlight (4x), Desert Wind, Lake Shore Limited (6x), Northeast Regional (many times), Pacific Surfliner (2x), Silver Meteor (7x), Southwest Chief (4x), Cardinal.

#4 ehbowen

ehbowen

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

I have visited Santa Fe overnight on three occasions, and each time I stayed at La Fonda. Yes, it's one of the most expensive hotels in town, but I love its Fred Harvey heritage and its location right on the Plaza. The first two times I stayed there happened to be the kickoff to Fiesta week (the burning of Zozobra) and rates were high but I got a bit of a discount from the online hotel booking sites. The last time I passed through (this past June, in conjunction with a ride on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR), I couldn't find any online rates that were within my budget. So I picked up the phone, called the hotel directly, asked for a manager, and told him the honest truth: I had plans to come to Santa Fe, I had stayed at his hotel twice before and would love to stay there again, but I hadn't been able to find any rates which fit my budget. Was there something that he could do for me, or did I need to look elsewhere? I was quoted a rate that I was well pleased with, and for a premium room at that.
Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users