Typical consist for City of New Orleans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, what is the typical non-peak consist for the City of New Orleans?

The CofNO is a train that always seems to have changing consists, i.e, sometimes I've seen one or two engines, sometimes no baggage car, sometimes no lounge, sometimes sleepers on the end, sometimes on the front.

So what is standard consist these days?

Thanks

Hello, what is the typical non-peak consist for the City of New Orleans?

The CofNO is a train that always seems to have changing consists, i.e, sometimes I've seen one or two engines, sometimes no baggage car, sometimes no lounge, sometimes sleepers on the end, sometimes on the front.

So what is standard consist these days?

Thanks

P42

Dorm/Sleeper (5809/5909)

Diner (CCC)

Lounge —— replaced with a second CCC if the lounge is bad-ordered or otherwise unavailable

Coach/Baggage

Coach

Coach

Sleeper (5800/5900)

Oh, so if I'm in the 5800 sleeper, I have to walk through three coaches and the lounge to get food?

I hate that.

Why can't they put that last sleeper next to the trans. sleeper (5809)?

CONO CONSIST: I agree that the diner should be next to the sleeper. This was in fact the case when I rode in April, but earlier this month I had to walk through 3 coaches and the lounge to get to the diner. This was an interesting experience on rough track! The CONO shares equipment with the Eagle, so consists and arrangements thereof may vary.

Why can't they put that last sleeper next to the trans. sleeper (5809)?
The City's equipment is interlined with the Texas Eagle. The sleeper is at the rear so it and one coach can be taken off the Eagle consist at San Antonio and sent through to Los Angeles without having to switch the sleeper out of the middle of the consist. When the equipment goes through Chicago and on to New Orleans, the sleeper stays on the rear.

P42

Dorm/Sleeper (5809/5909)

Diner (CCC)

Lounge —— replaced with a second CCC if the lounge is bad-ordered or otherwise unavailable

Coach/Baggage

Coach

Coach

Sleeper (5800/5900)
When the train is set up this way, does the sleeping car attendant for the 09 sleeper work anywhere else on the train? Not a lot of effort involved in managing just the revenue space in the trans-dorm.

P42

Dorm/Sleeper (5809/5909)

Diner (CCC)

Coach/Baggage

Coach

Coach

Sleeper (5800/5900)
When the train is set up this way, does the sleeping car attendant for the 09 sleeper work anywhere else on the train? Not a lot of effort involved in managing just the revenue space in the trans-dorm.
Most likely that attendant also works one of the coaches. Alternatively they could also be the attendant for the 5800 car.

That's a long walk from 5800 to 5809. I'd hope that a single attendant doesn't have to work both cars. Does the call button even work across cars, much less across 3 coaches, a lounge, and CCC?

Yes, it is a long walk. But there have been cases of attendants being tasked to do that on other trains. I believe that Amtrak quickly gave up on that idea, but again I can't rule out that it does happen.

And no, the call buttons do not ring in adjacent cars, much less across several coaches. They only ring in that specific car.

Just rode the CONO from Chi to Jackson last Saturday. I was in the trans/dorm and was looked after by the attendant from the first coach.(sleeper on rear) Yes, this meant she was back and forth through the lounge and CCC. With a large tour group on board, she didn't appear until we were 30 min out of CUS. A bad set-up, in stark contrast to two excellent sleeper experiences I had this summer: JXN-RNO and LAX-JXN

Yes, it is a long walk. But there have been cases of attendants being tasked to do that on other trains. I believe that Amtrak quickly gave up on that idea, but again I can't rule out that it does happen.

And no, the call buttons do not ring in adjacent cars, much less across several coaches. They only ring in that specific car.
Alan, the call buttons on Superliner I & II's can be sent to the next car forward or rearward.

I might be a minority here; but I would trade the walk to the diner for a good nights sleep any time. With only one engine and no baggage car, that had to be the noisiest ride when the sleeper was right behind the transdorm.

I might be a minority here; but I would trade the walk to the diner for a good nights sleep any time. With only one engine and no baggage car, that had to be the noisiest ride when the sleeper was right behind the transdorm.
I agree; however, the best arrangement I have experienced was when they had the CONO arranged as follows from the head end: transition sleeper (dorm), coach baggage, coach, coach, lounge, diner (CCC), sleeper.

That sounds like the most sensible consist to me from a crew and pax satisfaction point of view...except that those in the transition car really get the short end of the stick. Access to just half the car, right behind the engine, long walk to diner. The consist reported reduces the diner walk for these pax. Putting the coaches behind the transition car might result in a less harried attendant.

Just finished our trip on the CONO #58 last week and the current consist is:

Genesis Loco

Dorm Sleeper

Regular Sleeper 5800

Regular Diner

Lounge Car

Coach

Coach

Coach/Baggage Combine

It was nice to have the diner just a few steps away from our Bedroom B Sleeper Room. :giggle:

I was on #59 and #58 this past week from CHI - NOL

I'm not well versed in sleeper or engine types but our consist on both trains was

Engine

Sleeper

Sleeper

CCC Diner

Lounge car that looked like a CCC to me

Coach

Coach

Coach

Nice railfan window on the last coach if you were so inclined.

NO Sightseer Lounge on either train - bah!

Surprised one of the new Conductors too - who announced its location.

When I laughed and mentioned it to him, he said 'What? That's the best part of the train.'

Not a fan of the lounge car at all but, it's better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup.

Now to shamelessly plug my thread. If you're interested in what the line numbers (ex. "5800") are for all the cars, check out the consists/line numbers thread in the FAQ section.

Yup.

Now to shamelessly plug my thread. If you're interested in what the line numbers (ex. "5800") are for all the cars, check out the consists/line numbers thread in the FAQ section.
Plus, the consists shown in Post 1 of that thread are the most recent versions for each train - no need to search through replies to find the latest info.

Thanks to Donctor for all his hard work!

Consists / Line Numbers Topic

Yup.

Plus, the consists shown in Post 1 of that thread are the most recent versions for each train - no need to search through replies to find the latest info.

Wow! Thanks for the information.

I had no idea.

I will definitely use that thread for every trip.

I'm still kind of mixed up....

I saw a Sightseer lounge in a consist when we arrived in NOL (was hoping that would be my return train)

I read your disclaimer but....

Are you saying that right now, both the TE and CONO will/do not have SSLs?

I plan on taking the TE in the next month or so and I'm curious.

Looks like I'm good to go with a SSL on the CZ wednesday.... maybe

Yup.

I had no idea.

I saw a Sightseer lounge in a consist when we arrived in NOL (was hoping that would be my return train)

JoanieB,

The CONO/TE still has a sightseer lounge in the consist. The only reason it would not is if the SSL was removed for maintenance purposes.

The current consist for the CONO is as follows:

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Sleeper

CCC

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Bag

Coach

Coach

This consist is in effect from October-May.

From June-September, the consist will be:

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Coach

Coach-Bag

Sightseer Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

This consist information is from one of the conductors aboard the CONO.

Yup.

I had no idea.

JoanieB,

The CONO/TE still has a sightseer lounge in the consist. The only reason it would not is if the SSL was removed for maintenance purposes.

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Sleeper

CCC

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Bag

Coach

Coach

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Coach

Coach-Bag

Sightseer Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

Ah, thanks... that makes sense especially considering the fact that the new Conductor that entered the train through the last coach car was surprised at the fact that there was no SSL.

I appreciate your time answering my question, it helps make my train time so much more fun!
smile.gif

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Sleeper

CCC

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Bag

Coach

Coach

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Coach

Coach-Bag

Sightseer Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

A conductor would not have any information about future consist changes. The "June-September" consist was tried several weeks ago, and didn't work out for various reasons. There's no operational reason that the City of New Orleans would have a seasonal consist rearrangement (it's not like the single-level trains that get switched around so that the Lake Shore can get its cars cycled to Florida during the winter).

It's possible the consist may get rearranged again in the near future, but it wouldn't be for any seasonal adjustments.

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Sleeper

CCC

Sightseer Lounge

Coach-Bag

Coach

Coach

P40/P42

Trans-Dorm

Coach

Coach-Bag

Sightseer Lounge

CCC

Coach

Sleeper

A conductor would not have any information about future consist changes. The "June-September" consist was tried several weeks ago, and didn't work out for various reasons. There's no operational reason that the City of New Orleans would have a seasonal consist rearrangement (it's not like the single-level trains that get switched around so that the Lake Shore can get its cars cycled to Florida during the winter).

It's possible the consist may get rearranged again in the near future, but it wouldn't be for any seasonal adjustments.
I know it was tried several weeks ago. I live 30 miles from the route and go to school (SELU) two blocks from the Hammond train station. This train's consist is set by the team in San Antonio responsible for switching the through cars from the TE to the SL. The conductor was not the only one that I have head this from. I have also spoken to Amtrak's trainmaster down in New Orleans about it. He said that the test a few weeks ago was to see if it could work, especially for ease of switching in San Antonio during the summer months. According to the trainmaster and the conductor, the CONO will switch back to the other consist with the sleeper on the rear in June.

Just rode the Eagles yesterday and my friends in the Crew confirm that the Eagles will return to the Sleeper on the Rear Consist, but they say it will happen when the new schedule starts for the Sunset/Eagle on May 7th., not in June and that it is done strictly for Switching Reasons in SAS, not Seasonal!? This should apply to the CONO also! :unsure:

BTW-The last few days the Eagles have run with a CCC inplace of a Sightseer Lounge, the crews told me that one was bad ordered in CHI and another is in for Inspection/Maintence etc.

I always find a CCC a poor subsitute for a "Real" Lounge! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back