Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Pittsburgh PA

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

It's sad there haven't been any posts in this thread in 6 years, since I was thinking I might do a Pittsburgh Amtrak trip very soon. It's interesting the original post didn't mention(as I'd been doing research on Pittsburgh, for whenever I finally do this trip soon) that there's an Andy Warhol museum, and ditto with one for Roberto Clemente.

Just posting here, since maybe for all I know it'd revive interest in this forgotten thread?  :) Who knows, though I cross fingers that it would help get this thread some needed life.

You must have been inspired by them doing the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt live from here, last Thursday.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#22 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

It's sad there haven't been any posts in this thread in 6 years, since I was thinking I might do a Pittsburgh Amtrak trip very soon. It's interesting the original post didn't mention(as I'd been doing research on Pittsburgh, for whenever I finally do this trip soon) that there's an Andy Warhol museum, and ditto with one for Roberto Clemente.

Just posting here, since maybe for all I know it'd revive interest in this forgotten thread?  :) Who knows, though I cross fingers that it would help get this thread some needed life.

I would recommend:

PNC Park - best MLB stadium in the country, even if it's not always home to the best team!

University of Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning - tallest academic building in the United States.  Incredible Gothic architecture, and they have Nationality Rooms for over 30 countries which are open to visitors.

East Carson Street - For about 20 blocks this South Side neighborhood is full of bars and restaurants - just don't try to have a beer at every one!

All interesting suggestions, particularly the last 2. I was already thinking about a PNC Park visit(either game or stadium tour), btw. Other neighborhoods I should consider visiting as well? And I know there are at least 2 operational incline railroads, to neighborhoods on top of a hill. Maybe the neighborhoods of Oakland, Squirrel Hill, and around Carnegie Mellon University would be possibilities to visit, as well. 

#23 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

You must have been inspired by them doing the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt live from here, last Thursday.... ;)

Actually, I did NOT see that Lester Holt segment whatsoever. As it is, I hardly ever catch the nightly news at 5:30pm central time, like I used to years ago. A video clip link to whatever you're talking about where Lester was filming in Pittsburgh, please? Or at least describe what Lester was filming about, for that news in Pittsburgh. Thanks.

#24 bms

bms

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

I would recommend:

PNC Park - best MLB stadium in the country, even if it's not always home to the best team!

University of Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning - tallest academic building in the United States.  Incredible Gothic architecture, and they have Nationality Rooms for over 30 countries which are open to visitors.

East Carson Street - For about 20 blocks this South Side neighborhood is full of bars and restaurants - just don't try to have a beer at every one!

All interesting suggestions, particularly the last 2. I was already thinking about a PNC Park visit(either game or stadium tour), btw. Other neighborhoods I should consider visiting as well? And I know there are at least 2 operational incline railroads, to neighborhoods on top of a hill. Maybe the neighborhoods of Oakland, Squirrel Hill, and around Carnegie Mellon University would be possibilities to visit, as well. 

There are some interesting business districts in the East End including those along Liberty Ave. in Bloomfield and Butler St. in Lawrenceville (both working class but transitioning to hipster), and Walnut St. in Shadyside and Murray Ave/Forbes Ave. in Squirrel Hill (more upscale).  The Duquesne Incline takes you up to Mount Washington, which has a great view of the downtown.

Also interesting are the city-maintained stairs, which exist throughout the city and especially in the South Side Slopes.  They are officially city-maintained streets, built for residents who once walked down the stairs to steel mills along the river.  Many people had to walk up hundreds of steps to get home after working a 12-hour day in the mill!  https://www.discover...th-side-slopes/

Edited by bms, 16 May 2018 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users