Roomette vs Bedroom - beds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Now I know that the "bed" in the roomette is pretty dang small, but what about the size of the bed in the actual bedroom? Also, do you think that the roomette bed would be able to hold two adults are a little on the small side (300 lbs max together) or would we be better off in paying for the extra size with the bedroom? My girlfriend and I are planning on heading from GRR to TUS in January when she goes back to school and I finally get to go to school (since I wasn't able to right now) and I'm not sure if the extra points/money is worth it.

Now I know that the "bed" in the roomette is pretty dang small, but what about the size of the bed in the actual bedroom? Also, do you think that the roomette bed would be able to hold two adults are a little on the small side (300 lbs max together) or would we be better off in paying for the extra size with the bedroom? My girlfriend and I are planning on heading from GRR to TUS in January when she goes back to school and I finally get to go to school (since I wasn't able to right now) and I'm not sure if the extra points/money is worth it.
The lower bed of a roomette I would NOT consider small at all! I am a 6'6" guy and it is long and quite wide. The upper bed is another story as it is at least a bit more narrow.

See my Superliner Virtual Tour for almost real views of a roomette during day and night.

http://www.kaemena360.net/360/Amtrak/ you can use the fold down menu on the lower right side for the direct access to the roomette. :giggle:

I would suggest the bedroom over the roomette for two people, if you can afford it.

If you girlfriend is like my wife, definately the bedroom!!

I don't think the lower bed in a roomette would accommodate two people, simply not wide enough.

We had a roomette on our first overnight trip, and from now on, we get a bedroom.

The roomette we had was on a Viewliner and I have not taken a roomette (for 2 people) on a

Superliner, although I think the dimensions are similar. When the beds are down, it is very

difficult to move around.

Have a fun trip!!

If you expect to sleep together a roomette is out but two in a lower bunk in a bedroom will still be very very tight and uncomfortable for most. Although it may not be the most romantic set up, using both bunks is the only way to get ample room to sleep. You can "mix it up" plenty before you go to sleep. Trains have small sleeping quarters. Even a bedroom is smaller than what you might find on a small RV camper but comfortable with one in a bunk.

My boyfriend and I are about 300 pounds together, and there's no way we could share the bottom bunk of a roomette. We tried it once, and it's possible if both people sleep spooning, but with all of the normal flipping/thrashing that occurs when people sleep, we ended up annoying each other.

To give you an idea, a twin mattress is 39" wide, and the bottom bunk in the roomette is 28" wide.

I've heard of people sharing the bottom bunk by putting their heads at opposite ends so that the bulkiest parts of their bodies were separate. (i.e. you'd have each other's feet near your head/chest) It's not very romantic, but at least you'd be sharing a bed if that's important to you.

I'd say spring for the bedroom. You'll be more comfortable overall, and the "double bed" is 40" wide, one inch wider than a twin. If you can share a twin-size bed, you'd probably be okay sharing the bed in the bedroom.

CAVEAT: The bed in the bedroom runs perpendicular to the tracks, so you might have more issues staying in bed (since neither of you will have much "rock-n-roll" space). In the roomette, the beds are parallel with the tracks, so you get some rocking, but you won't be clinging to the mattress every time the train stops or slows. ;)

You do realize that there are two beds in a roomette, right. There is an upper and lower bunk. The upper bunk in a superliner is sometimes referred to as the coffin because it is so tight w no window. Two could "snuggle" in the lowered bunk and then use the upper bunk when you get done "snuggling"

I think it really depends on your comfort level. Of course in my younger years I was used to sharing a twin bed with gentleman - that is what the dorms came with in college - but now I am much too old to share a twin sized bed with my husband. Heck, we joke that our queen at home is too small and we want to upgrade to a king!

But I don't think two people can comfortably sleep in the lower bunk of a roomette. I think two people who can deal with sharing a twin bed will be fine in the lower bunk of a bedroom.

Thanks all for the posts. Yes I did know that there is two bunks in the roomette but I wasn't entirely sure of the size of the bunk, I just knew it was very narrow. We're both college students so sharing a twin size bed is nothing new (seems colleges nowadays are cheap lol)

Sharing a bed isn't that important to me, but I figured if it could be done then the upper bearth of yhe roomette wouldn't need to be setup at all. But it does sound like the bedroom would be a better choice overall.

@Sorchs so you're saying I should be on the edge of the bed so that when the train slows/stops, I can be the one to fall instead of her I'm a heavy sleeper...She's not so much...in fact I could sleep in coach if I needed to (slept all through the night these past two times) but since we'll be on the train for three days, she wants the room for the included meals and ability to shower

@Sorcha so you're saying I should be on the edge of the bed so that when the train slows/stops, I can be the one to fall instead of her I'm a heavy sleeper...She's not so much...in fact I could sleep in coach if I needed to (slept all through the night these past two times) but since we'll be on the train for three days, she wants the room for the included meals and ability to shower
If you want to be chivalrous, you could do that. ;) The train rocks and rolls no matter which way you sleep; I just know it's a little easier to deal with when parallel with the tracks.

If the bed ends up being too tight, you still have the option of putting that top bunk down without sacrificing head space in the bedroom (unlike the roomette, where you'd lose a lot of head space), so that's another plus.

Also, howdy neighbor. :-D I live in Kalamazoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sorcha so you're saying I should be on the edge of the bed so that when the train slows/stops, I can be the one to fall instead of her I'm a heavy sleeper...She's not so much...in fact I could sleep in coach if I needed to (slept all through the night these past two times) but since we'll be on the train for three days, she wants the room for the included meals and ability to shower
If you want to be chivalrous, you could do that. ;) The train rocks and rolls no matter which way you sleep; I just know it's a little easier to deal with when parallel with the tracks.

If the bed ends up being too tight, you still have the option of putting that top bunk down without sacrificing head space in the bedroom (unlike the roomette, where you'd lose a lot of head space), so that's another plus.

Also, howdy neighbor. :-D I live in Kalamazoo.

Well I did suggest that 1) to be chivalrous, and 2) because I'd rather sleep on the outside of the bed, so if I do need to get up in the middle of the night I don't wake her. I think the plan right now is in January when she comes up here to visit and then we both go down to Arizona (me for school, her because it's where she lives lol) then we'll probably take the roomettes (and pay cash), and on our trip from TUS to SEA we'll probably do bedrooms (with AGR points!)

Also hellooo! I actually live about a half hour west of Grand Rapids, and a half hour east of Muskegon. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back