Earthquake on the East Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking the same thing (hope no damage to rails or trains). It was centered NW of Richmond, VA. I felt it here in DE.

5.9 on the Richter scale, Epicenter 87 miles south of Washington DC near Mineral VA., very shallow, only 3.7 miles deep. Damage likely to be more in Richmond and Charlottseville and area in between.

Buildings evacuated in Washington DC including the Pentagon, and they are not people in until buildings are inspected. We felt it in NJ for almost a minute. It was quite an amazing jolt. Some buildings in New York were evacuated. My friends in Kent State in Ohio felt it.

no reports yet on specific damage.

At about the same time there was a 5.3 earthquake with epicenter near Trinidad CO.

Last edited by a moderator:
we felt it here in the Shenandoah Valley. My daughter lives in Fairfax and said she felt it strong enough that she went and stood in her doorway. We didn't feel it that strongly here even though we would be closer to the alleged epicenter. Interesting.

It took us a "while" to realize what we were feeling...then we went looking for each other saying "was that an earthquake?".

I felt it in Northern New Jersey. I was sitting at my desk,

and clearly felt the quake. Ran downstairs to check on my dog -

he was fine.

I felt it in Northern New Jersey. I was sitting at my desk,

and clearly felt the quake. Ran downstairs to check on my dog -

he was fine.
Did you check on the dog BEFORE you checked on your wife??? :lol:

5.9 on the Richter scale, Epicenter 87 miles south of Washington DC near Mineral VA., very shallow, only 3.7 miles deep. Damage likely to be more in Richmond and Charlottseville and area in between.

Buildings evacuated in Washington DC including the Pentagon, and they are not people in until buildings are inspected. We felt it in NJ for almost a minute. It was quite an amazing jolt. Some buildings in New York were evacuated. My friends in Kent State in Ohio felt it.

no reports yet on specific damage.

At about the same time there was a 5.3 earthquake with epicenter near Trinidad CO.
USGS update now has the quake at a depth of 1 km (0.6 mi.). Update of the update: depth now estimated at 0.1 km - very shallow!

It was a pretty decent jolt here in South Jersey. Local rail transit line - PATCO - shut down pending inspections.

Amtrak is reporting on FB that there will be delays due to slow orders. Apparently some airports are going to be closed for a short while.

Nice and quiet down here in Texas. ^_^

Although oddly enough I have a friend traveling up to New York first thing tomorrow morning.

She's planning to use the commuter rail systems so hopefully things will be getting back to normal soon.

Waiting on a train that was coming form VA to CT Train # 176 due to arrive at 5:06 - Amtrax rail system states its still on time but when I called someone on the train they said that they were stopped somewhere in Philly

Amtrak's posting on thier FB page:

"Amtrak Train Service along Northeast Corridor Operating at

Reduced Speed due to Reported Earthquake"

FB users COMMENT: ( WARNING, I laughed VERY LOUDLY)

Richardson Bonnie What's their excuse the other 364 days of the year? LOL! j/k

Amtrak's posting on thier FB page:

"Amtrak Train Service along Northeast Corridor Operating at

Reduced Speed due to Reported Earthquake"

FB users COMMENT: ( WARNING, I laughed VERY LOUDLY)

Richardson Bonnie What's their excuse the other 364 days of the year? LOL! j/k
I just read that and LOL'ed myself, especially in light of the lousy service along the NEC all year.

BTW, I didn't feel a thing in urban Central NJ, but the constant aural assault of rumbling trucks and construction projects makes one less sensitive to things like earthquakes.

WMATA is operating at 15 mph for the rest of the day (actually, until further notice).
ohmy.gif

Tweet from @AmtrakNEC - Amtrak crews inspecting infrastructure after earthquake. Residual delays BAL to WAS continue. Thank you for patience.

We're leaving on the Card in the morning and heading to CVS, there we're to take the bus to Richmond where we have a mid-19th century hotel (probably not earthquake safe) for 3 nights. This could turn very interesting. And here I thought the biggest thing I had to worry about was Irene flooding. :eek:hboy:

I called Amtrak and inquired and the Card is expected to run on schedule (probably cause it hasn't left CHI yet). :rolleyes: Trains in and out of Richmond are running on reduced speed, but are running, so... And my hotel was not damaged. Apparently very little damage done. The following is from the Richmond Times Dispatch http://www2.timesdis...oas-ar-1256961/

Ya know, this was supposed to happen when I did my last trip on the Coast Starlight, NOT when I'm going to Richmond. :help: Wow, Amtrak, seems to be an unexpected adventure, most of the time!

>At about the same time there was a 5.3 earthquake with epicenter near Trinidad CO.

Was there another one today? Last night one hit near Trinidad, CO "Trinidad, Colo.; Raton, N.M.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and La Junta, Colo." were the hardest hit. Sounds like that covers the SWC AND the CZ. Seems like God really has it in for Amtrak this year. :giggle: Wonder how the SWC and the CZ have been affected? Can't make the Zephyr too much later...

>At about the same time there was a 5.3 earthquake with epicenter near Trinidad CO.

Was there another one today? Last night one hit near Trinidad, CO "Trinidad, Colo.; Raton, N.M.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and La Junta, Colo." were the hardest hit. Sounds like that covers the SWC AND the CZ. Seems like God really has it in for Amtrak this year. :giggle: Wonder how the SWC and the CZ have been affected? Can't make the Zephyr too much later...
Apparently they're having aftershocks in CO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back