Hotel Close to OKC Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonys96

Conductor
When I take the Heartland Flyer to OKC for work, there is someone who picks me up, this time I am looking to go visit OKC for a weekend, and wonder if anyone has hotel recommendations around the station. Train arrives late and leaves early, so within walking distance to station (or one that has shuttle) would be good.

Thanks!

Yes, several within easy walking distance. OKC Renaissance Hotel is 1 block northwest of the station, at Sheridan & Broadway. OKC Sheraton is directly across Broadway from the Renaissance (it was a Westin when I stayed there a number of years ago, IIRC). I haven't been back to OKC in about 8 years, however I see on Google Maps that a Marriott Courtyard has been built a block south of the station, Gaylord & Reno Ave, next to the arena; there's a Residence Inn several blocks east on Reno, in Bricktown near the Ballpark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I have looked at all of these, and for some reason the Friday night I arrive, 8/26/11, is all booked up at every one of these! (Must be something going on...), so I was wondering if there were any others around that may not be national brands. There is a Choice Hotels brand (Quality, I think) that shows to be about a mile and a half away. That may have to do.....

Anyone know about local transport in the area, like shuttles, buses, taxis, etc.

You have to be careful of what is available in OKC, there are lot of shady hotels in the bad part of town that have changed their name to include "Bricktown". These are usually 1-2 miles away from the real Bricktown and you don't want to stay there. A few examples are the Quality Inn Bricktown, Americas Best Value Inn Bricktown, & Econo Lodge And Suites Bricktown.

For what Bricktown has to offer, the hotels are extremely over priced and charge outrageous fees for parking. Unfortunately they are your only choice if you want walking distance to the station and Bricktown itself. If you are going to spend $150+ a night, I would recommend the Skirvin Hilton. It is not inside Bricktown and 1/4 mile away from the train station. It is one of the only remaining historic hotels in the city and was recently purchased and renovated by Hilton after being vacant for many years. If you are willing to cab it 3-4 miles, I can recommend some much cheaper hotels (under $100 a night).

Since you are vacationing, I would also recommend checking out some of the districts away from Bricktown that have a lot to offer.

http://www.thepaseo.com/ - Lots of art shops and good restaurants

http://www.plazadistrict.org/ - boutiques, flea markets, coffee shop, Irish pub, live theater

http://www.stockyardscity.org/ - western theme, cows

http://www.overholsermansion.org/ - the first suburban house built in the city, really neat to tour. Also a great neighborhood to walk around, one of the few with sidewalks and it has amazing 1910s - 1920s architecture.

There are home baseball games all that weekend, so it will be busy down there, but I doubt that is the reason for the hotel sellout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent!

Looked at Plaza district's site but it did not include a map of where it is. What area of town is it in?

I called a collegue and he said that since I was traveling alone (without the ladyfriend) that he would go to the "Bricktown Conference Center" which he said was NOT in Bricktown (as you alluded to) but did have a shuttle that was very reliable, and they would pick me up at Amtrak and return me there for free. Room runs about 75 bucks.

He said it was in a seedy area, and was a remodeled old roadside motel, hence not taking the little woman there, but for just me there would be no problems. And I would not have to spring for extra costs for transportation, unless I wanted to...like to the plaza district, which sounds great!...and the overholser deal sounds fascinating, will do that on Saturday morning!

Got any comments on this place as somewhere just to rest my head at night?

Saturday evening looking at maybe the river sunset cruise, or a movie at the bricktown harkins theater......ever been to either of these?

Thanks! It is great to have someone from OKC to give me pointers! All we ever do for work is get picked up and driven out to airport, holed up at the Candlewood by the airport and driven to wherever we are meeting that trip. Never get to see the town at all, looking forward to this weekend getaway. Got a new short book to read on the train, and ready to unlax a bit.

Thanks again for the tips, love to browse flea markets, so plaza district looks like a go. Any other tips will be appreciated.

Yeah that hotel is right around where a bunch of the "Bricktown" hotels are. It is basically a truck stop and there aren't the best crowds that hang around, but if you are on your own I am sure it will be fine. There is a Waffle House down there and the Greyhound bus station is moving to that intersection because they didn't want "those people" downtown anymore. Very cool they have a free shuttle!

As to the Plaza District, it isn't very big, so don't plan on being able to spend more than a couple hours there before you see it all. It is basically the 1700 block of NW 16th ST, 2 miles from the Amtrak station, 5 miles from that hotel.

The Harkins theater in Bricktown is just a plain old movie theater built a few years ago, nothing special about it. There is a place called Red Pin bowling right next to it, interesting bar / bowling atmosphere. There was a great Jazz club that just got shut down for tax evasion, but if you like live music, Jazmo's Bourbon Street Cafe and the Biting Sow should have some.

If your a drinker, be aware that all domestic beers (bud, coors, miller, and every other brand/variation they sell) sold in the entire state are 3.2% instead of the normal 5%. So best to stick with micro-brews and imports if you don't like watered down tasting beers. Always good to double check with the server though, as I have been amazed at what brands will make a 3.2% version (Heineken, Corona, even Sam Adams). Also any advertised happy hour special will always be 3.2% beer, state law.

I have not been on a river cruise, but plan to do so when we have some family visit.

Almost forgot to mention Midtown (Walker & NW 10th ST). Great group of independent restaurants / bars, it is walking distance from Bricktown if your feeling up for one (1.3 miles and the Overholser Mansion is just a few blocks north of there on NW 15th).

Our favorite breakfast there is Cafe Do Brazil, on Sat & Sun from 10-2 they do brunch. Everything is under $10 and is really good, they make their own re-fried black beans and there are $2 Mimosas and $3 bloody marys. http://www.cafedobrazilokc.com/

For lunch or dinner there is a great modern Italian place, they don't have a freezer or a microwave, everything is fresh. Never been disappointed. http://www.stellaokc.com

Feel free to keep asking questions, I have only been here a little over a year but have done a lot of exploring in the city.

In the stockyards, I recommend Cattlemen's Cafe for the best steak. When your lady friend is with you, you all should definitely stay at the Skirvin. It's a great old lady, remodeled and comfortable, with original Deco features. Oklahoma City Art Museum is definitely worth a visit for the permanent installation of Dale Chihuly glass. Have fun!

Looks like I may have to go at a later date, maybe Labor Day weekend...

The reason everything is booked up (Courtyard, Skirvin, Renisance, etc.) is that there is some kind of statewide teacher's convention in town that weekend. They say 7 or 8 thousand are supposed to attend.

I will likely hold off till later, maybe then the lady friend can go too.

Thanks for the info! I may be asking again closer to that date.

OK, got set for doing the little jaunt to OKC over labor day weekend. If anyone has some good things to do/see that weekend, please let us know.

Thanks!

Hello folks

I am a recently graduated international student, fairly new to Texas, licing in DFW area since just over a month. I am planning to take the Heartland Flyer from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City one day and back the next day. Can someone suggest a couple of cheap but safe hotels to stay in the vicinity of OKC Amtrak station? Basically I just want a place to rest for the night, no frills. I checked some big name hotels around OKC station but they are all over $150 a night even for single occupancy and I don't wish to spend that much just for a few hours of night stay. I don't mind cabbing a short distance from the station if cabs are easily available at the station at the time the train arrives at night and the roundtrip cab fare justifies the hotel rates.

Also, I am flexible with the choice of days to do this trip, anyone doing it anytime this month or next? I would be glad to have some like-minded company!

Hello folks

I am a recently graduated international student, fairly new to Texas, licing in DFW area since just over a month. I am planning to take the Heartland Flyer from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City one day and back the next day. Can someone suggest a couple of cheap but safe hotels to stay in the vicinity of OKC Amtrak station? Basically I just want a place to rest for the night, no frills. I checked some big name hotels around OKC station but they are all over $150 a night even for single occupancy and I don't wish to spend that much just for a few hours of night stay. I don't mind cabbing a short distance from the station if cabs are easily available at the station at the time the train arrives at night and the roundtrip cab fare justifies the hotel rates.

Also, I am flexible with the choice of days to do this trip, anyone doing it anytime this month or next? I would be glad to have some like-minded company!
Unfortunately there are no decent basic hotels in that area of OKC-all the hotels in the Bricktown area near the station are over priced clip joints. If you go south of there along I-35, there is a plethora of Hot Pillow Joints that were at one time decent motels but now you wouldn't want to throw a dead cat in them :)

If you don't mind a bit longer of a cab ride head west on I-40 to the Meridian exit area and there some decent places there, including Motel 6 and I believe a Days Inn and La Quinta.

Hello folks

Look at post #5 in this thread. Bricktown conference center is a possibility for a single traveler (and now I hear it is not terribly bad for couples) that has a free shuttle bus to and from Amtrak station and the Bricktown area. Trip Advisor rates it fairly well for the past few months, before that not so good. Rates as low as 59 bucks.

My lady friend and I are going on Labor Day weekend.

Hopefully that Bricktown Conference Center has improved because at least as of a few years ago it had a reputation that tied in seamlessly with the 2 big truck stops across from it :eek:

Hopefully that Bricktown Conference Center has improved because at least as of a few years ago it had a reputation that tied in seamlessly with the 2 big truck stops across from it :eek:
That is what I had been told, too. OK for a single guy, not so hot for couples. But reading TripAdvisor, it seems to have cleaned up it's act, who knows?

We are going to the Renissance (sp?), they have a weekend special at 97 a night, if you ise AMEX card, and are in Marriott Rewards program....not terribly expensive.

Look at post #5 in this thread. Bricktown conference center is a possibility for a single traveler (and now I hear it is not terribly bad for couples) that has a free shuttle bus to and from Amtrak station and the Bricktown area. Trip Advisor rates it fairly well for the past few months, before that not so good. Rates as low as 59 bucks.

Thanks for your replies. It seems the Bricktown conference center would work out to be the best option for me since they apparently also provide a shuttle to and from the Amtrak station. Now leaving the accommodation part aside, can someone provide me with some train info, such as these-

* What is the maximum speed the Heartland Flyer does and usually in which section?

* Is the entire route from Fort Worth to Oklahoma a single line or double line?

* I believe the train has two different types of Superliner cars (normal coach and coach with cafe), which one is more fun to ride in? Or are both types exactly identical in terms of seats, window size etc?

* What are the scenic, and interesting from a rail-fan point of view, things to look out for?

* Anything interesting to try out from the cafe?

Sorry if some of these questions sound naive, this is going to be my first trip on an Amtrak outside of Northeast Regionals a couple of times.

Also those of you travelling on Labor Day weekend, if you see a rather young south Asian guy clicking away photos, do stop by to say Hi!

Thanks for your replies. It seems the Bricktown conference center would work out to be the best option for me since they apparently also provide a shuttle to and from the Amtrak station. Now leaving the accommodation part aside, can someone provide me with some train info, such as these-

* What is the maximum speed the Heartland Flyer does and usually in which section?

* I believe the train has two different types of Superliner cars (normal coach and coach with cafe), which one is more fun to ride in? Or are both types exactly identical in terms of seats, window size etc?

* What are the scenic, and interesting from a rail-fan point of view, things to look out for?

Sorry if some of these questions sound naive, this is going to be my first trip on an Amtrak outside of Northeast Regionals a couple of times.

Also those of you travelling on Labor Day weekend, if you see a rather young south Asian guy clicking away photos, do stop by to say Hi!
I'll be pudgy fella travelling with short mexican lady......(she talks a lot)

While she's a little train, the Heartland Flyer is a rather good train. There is no difference in the seating in the regular Coaches versus the Snack Coach since the Snack Lounge is downstairs where the Lower Level seating normally would be. There are a couple bench type seats there but it is much more comfortable to take your goodies back to the chair. You will see prices in the Snack Lounge are lower than regular Amtrak prices and that is because of the State subsidies. Northbound, I always get a Cheeseburger and Beer just after leaving Ardmore, and in the morning, grab a Breakfast Sandwich and Mt. Dew right after leaving Norman.

Most of the line is single track and BNSF Dispatch does a great job of keeping the Flyer on time. The most scenic portion is about 15 miles north of Ardmore where you cross the Arbuckle Mountains (yes we have mountains in the Sooner Nation)and here you will want to be on the west side of the train.

The Crew is GREAT, serving up very friendly service and doing their best to make everyone relaxed and comfortable.

More often than not, one of the 2 engines (she's a push-pull train) will be P32 #500 which is the Bio-Diesel test platform. And she'll probably still be hauling 4 Coaches on Labor Day weekend and return to the normal 3 Coach consist the following week.

Are you still going? If so, we will see you tomorrow!

Had a great trip! Flyer left FTW on time, but was 30 min. late to Gainesville, due to slow orders. Stayed 30 min late the rest of the trip, arriving 30 min. late.

Downtown OKC was nice, the Myriad Gardens were gorgeous, and the memorial to the Murrah Bidg. is sobering. Bricktown is OK, caught a good blues band at one place for a couple of hours.

Return trip departed almost full, and on time. Picked up a few folks along the way, and conductor said the 3 pax getting on at Gainesville made the train a full ride. Was on time to Ardmore, but, again due to slow orders, were almost an hour late to FW today.

All in all, a great trip, speaking with many other pax, found that maybe 75% were on first Amtrak ride, getting away for the long weekend.

Got pix of Ardmore station (a smoke break stop) and OKC station (inside the ceiing is beautiful and there are some really good murals on the walls. Would post them if I knew how.

The train was as described above, except there was a dining car that was not being used, save for the crew to do paperwork. The Cafe Car attendant said she used that car as the cafe car for a while when the cafe car was being repaired, and the diner car would be going back to Chicago this week. One other thing, this being a push-pull train, the seating is split, half facing forward, half facing backward, just FYI.

Dining Car on the Flyer? I may just have to wander to the Norman station tonight (Monday) for a look.
Absolutely!

We had three coaches, and there was an unused dining car. Northbound, there was: Engine, coach, diner, coach, coach, engine. Reversed for southbound. of course.

The cafe car attendant said she used it for two or three weeks!

Check it out!

Got pix of Ardmore station (a smoke break stop) and OKC station (inside the ceiing is beautiful and there are some really good murals on the walls. Would post them if I knew how.
Aloha Tony

If you go to this thread there are instruction on how to post pictures. There several different hosting sites and the process varies a little with each site.

The Diner was gone when the northbound Flyer came through Norman tonight-the Conductor said they cut if off this afternoon and shoved it on the Eagle to Chicago. According to the Volunteer at the station, it was a CCC and had been on for about a week and a half.

Back