• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,677 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

Damn Davy, I was gonna dog you for replying to an ancient thread, but this "Find" of yours has me planning a trip to NYC!

#22 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,342 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

Regarding #50, one must stay on the train past Brooklyn Bridge to see the City Hall station. If you get off at Brooklyn Bridge when your #6 train arrives there, then you won't see City Hall. The train runs through City Hall Station as it runs around the loop to arrive back at the Brooklyn Bridge station now headed back uptown.

I've been in the old station, taking a tour of it several years ago back when tours will still allowed. The group boarded a #6 at Brooklyn Bridge and the crew stopped the train for us at City Hall and opened 1 door to let us all out. After the tour, the next #6 coming through was ordered to stop & pick us up.

At one time several years ago the NYC Transit Museum had plans to reopen the station as a museum extension as it were. There were elaborate plans to fix things up, install a small store and exhibits along with a lexan barrier at the platform edge. The barrier was both for safety as well as to diminish the noise from the passing trains, which tends to be quite loud thanks to squealing flanges on the very sharp curve that comprises the loop.

Sadly that grand plan got shot down by Mayor Giuliani during his phase where he felt that members of the public should never be allowed to get near City Hall, the building and the park. The station sits below them.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#23 The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:The Rails, US History, The Great Outdoors, Good Food

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Regarding #50, one must stay on the train past Brooklyn Bridge to see the City Hall station. If you get off at Brooklyn Bridge when your #6 train arrives there, then you won't see City Hall. The train runs through City Hall Station as it runs around the loop to arrive back at the Brooklyn Bridge station now headed back uptown.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

:hi:  :hi:  :hi: :hi:  :hi:  

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound of the border train.

#24 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Bumping so it's in my list.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#25 Trainmans daughter

Trainmans daughter

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:58 PM

At the risk of making people mad at me for hijacking this thread (has nothing to do with interlocking, whatever that is), I'd like some help planning my trip to NYC next June. My granddaughter and I are going to have an epic trip which will include 1 1/2 days in the city before proceeding to DC for a few more days.

We will arrive on the LSL at about 6:30 pm, check into our hotel which we already have reservations for, and head off to see the lights of Times Square. We will have the next day and a half to explore the city. Besides the Empire State Building (which is a priority to her), what are some sights you think a 14 year old girl and her grandma might want to see?

Also, help me with public transportation. Bus, subway, light rail, ferry boats?

Keep in mind that we are on a very tight budget. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

Definitely buy Passes for the Subway!

Suggested activities/sites ya'll might enjoy:

1)Staten Island Ferry( Free)/ lunch and Minor League Baseball Gamewith a view of Manhattan
2)Coney Island/ Hot Dog @ Nathans
3)Walk in Central Park with visit to the Zoo
4)Ellis Island
5)Various Museums ( many) all over town
6)Walk on the High Line
7)Grand Central Terminal
8)Window Shopping on Fifth Avenue
9)United Nations
10)City Tour on Double Decker Bus
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'd just buy a "pay-as-you-go" card for the subway, unless you're planning on being on it all day for the 2.5 days you're there (it takes 12-13 subway trips to make the week pass worth it.)

I'll second the Staten Island Ferry suggestion. The UN is cool, but you may prefer some other destination with that time. I also went to Rockaway Beach. Much of the beach area is under construction, but we were able to access it at Beach & 73rd without issue, and it felt like I was truly at the ocean there. I also really enjoyed the New York Transit Museum, but it's definitely geared a lot towards people who are interested in transit.

Free Tours By Foot also offers a lot of tours that are on a pay-what-you-wish system, which is handy when you're on a budget. I'd definitely recommend doing one or two of their tours.

#28 Trainmans daughter

Trainmans daughter

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Jim and Jeb. Those are some great ideas. The public transportation kind of confuses me, so any help with that is appreciated. I'm looking into buying fare cards preloaded with the amount I think we'll be needing. We might end up taking the bus more than the subway so we can get a better feel for where we are. Or is that a bad idea?

#29 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

Patti: I'll let others that are more current on the bus situation in the Apple speak to that, but traffic can be really bad in Manhattan ( and at the Bridges and Tunnels) so allow for extra time when traveling.Buses are an excellent way to sight see for reasonable prices in Manhattan!

The subways are excellent and easy to use, if you know where you are going! I suggest you Goggle up info and plan your itinerary so you have a rough idea of your options before leaving home!( and try to avoid rush hours whenever you can!)

Cabs are expensive in New York and hard to get even though there seems like there are a million of them! I'd avoid relying on them if you can.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#30 GusTrain

GusTrain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

You guys gave me such great ideas for New Orleans, I would like to solicit your Great Brains for NYC in basically 2 days!
We are staying in Manhattan & on the List are: (of course) the Empire State Building, the One World Observatory, & taking the ferry to Staten Island for a short visit with distant relatives (my understanding is we will pass the Statue of Liberty on the ferry ride)...
Oh! I would also like to try some "authentic" NY pizza!
Please...what else should be on the Must Do & See list? Thanks in advance!

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

Be sure and buy a Pass for the Subway, the only way to roll in the Apple.

And another Free Gem is to walk around Central Park ( the Zoo and the Carriage Rides are Famous but Expensive).

Visit the site of the World Trade Center Disaster and take a ride out to Coney Island in Brooklyn for a Nathan's Hot Dog and a Beer!

There are Great Museums in the City of you like that and last but not least consider walking around in Midtown including Grand Central Terminal,the Main Public Library, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks Cathedral and Park and Fifth Avenues. All Free!

#32 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

Sadly the single day unlimited ride metrocard went the way of the dinosaur a couple years back or so.  If anyone's looking for an unlimited ride option the best you can get is a 7 day metrocard for $31 ($30 for the rides and $1 for the new card.)  Depending on how you use it this could still be a better deal than paying for individual rides ($2.75 cash per ride.)

#33 GusTrain

GusTrain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:12 AM

Thanks! Are the subways safe? I'm scared...

#34 GusTrain

GusTrain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:14 AM

Also just realized I posted this in SE & I should have used NE & there's a thread for NYC there! I'm going to go study it! Thanks again!

#35 John Bredin

John Bredin

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Assuming you're not pulling our collective legs, yes, the subways are generally safe. The routine muggings and rampant graffiti were left behind in the 1980s along with big hair and women's shoulder pads. :giggle:

Speaking of subways, another thing worth seeing is the New York Transit Museum. http://www.nytransitmuseum.org/ While it has a branch and store in must-see Grand Central Terminal, its main location is a former subway station :cool: in downtown Brooklyn.

Another NYC-centric museum not related to trains is the New York Fire Museum in a former lower-Manhattan fire station. http://www.nycfiremuseum.org/

There was an excellent New York Police Museum in a former police station* the last time I was there, but it's closed since.  :(

*I'm noticing a pattern here. :) What makes a better museum for X than a former X station/facility, and the City already owns it. Cheap but effective.

#36 GusTrain

GusTrain

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

That ALL sounds great! Thanks! It's a tough life trying to choose how many fun things you can stuff into a day!

#37 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

I enjoyed the subway museum in downtown Brooklyn mentioned above when I went. If you don't have a context for it then it might not be as interesting. For example, some of those cars were still in use when I appeared on the NYC scene in 1967. Rockefeller Center is mind-blowing just to walk around and see all the public art. Lots of free stuff in Central Park including a garden dedicated to the the work of the Beatles [iiirc in the upper 60s on the West side]! I think Union Square is fun - there's a market there most every day I think [I'm sure you can google it and find out]. And Trader Joe's is nearby. Washington Square and Greenwich Village are fun and always interesting to walk around. 2 days is not very long - and at the same time plenty long enough for NYC which is very tiring. Just walking down the street is overstimulating.

#38 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

The City Museum of New York is pretty cool - less crowded than the other big name museums and has NYC centered exhibits. Also walking up Broadway from the Financial District uptown is pretty cool if you're up for that.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#39 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

I recently had a layover in New York, and stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Suites a half-block from Penn Station (and right across from the Farley Building...).  It was clean and comfortable--the room did not feel overly cramped.  Hot breakfast in the morning was good.  My wife once stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania near Penn Station, and was disappointed.

For dinner, I went to Stella 34 Trattoria at Macy*s Herald Square flagship store, also very near Penn Station.  The food and service was good, and I was able to do a little shopping after dinner.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users