Roomette vs Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We had a roomette last year for a 1 night trip. But for a 2 week trip, I'm thinking we might need a bedroom. I know they are larger. What are the toilet, shower, sink like? Thanks again for your help.

We have had bedrooms and roomettes. I prefer the roomette because I like the big shower on the superliner and the bigger restrooms. The bedroom facilities were too tight for me. Yhe bed room layout is great compared to a roomette. I guess both have good and bad features. For the money/points difference I'll stck with a roomette.

We have had bedrooms and roomettes. I prefer the roomette because I like the big shower on the superliner and the bigger restrooms. The bedroom facilities were too tight for me. He bed room layout is great compared to a roomette. I guess both have good and bad features. For the money/points difference I'll stck with a roomette.

Even though you have a bedroom on a superliner there isn't any reason you can't use the big shower downstairs. Many who have the bedrooms do that so as not to get the in room commode area all wet.

I'm guessing the bedroom is a lot more money? Or is it not much more?
You guessed correctly. Often a bedroom is double or even triple the cost of a roomette. Occasionally bedrooms have been priced slightly less than a roomette on the exact same train but this has become less and less common over time.

I prefer the roomette if I'm traveling alone, and not because of the price. I find the orientation of the bed in the roomette better for sleeping.

I think it's a matter of money than anything, atleast for me, when deciding bedroom vs. roomette. First off, if I am using Amtrak Guest Rewards... I will usually always go with the bedroom and make sure I am getting atleast 3 nights out of a 2-zone reward to make it feel like it's worth it. The other factor is the length of the trip. In October, I'm going to speak at my old college in Arkansas and will get on the train in CHI at 8pm and get off in Memphis at 6am... not worth it in my book for a bedroom... so I'll do the roomette. But, if I am doing a cross-country jaunt CHI-PDX-LAX or CHI-SAS-LAX and have the points, by far, the bedroom. For me, the best perk of the bedroom is the private bathroom and not having to get dressed and stumble down the hallway in the middle of the night to pee. :) :giggle:

I'm guessing the bedroom is a lot more money?

Or is it not much more?
Aloha

Way back When, I took the Sunset Limited from Orlando to LAX the price was only a hundred higher so I tried it. Was traveling by myself. I found the shower/commode uncomfortably small. I never used the Shower, and only the toilet once. While I am oversize and need to loose weight I don't need to loose anything from my shoulders. I also did not like sleeping crosswise in the car for 3 0r 4 nights. I forget exactly, but each time the train slowed I almost rolled out of the bed.

For me, the best perk of the bedroom is the private bathroom and not having to get dressed and stumble down the hallway in the middle of the night to pee. :) :giggle:
I don't bother to get dressed!
ohmy.gif
And other times, I just open the window!
mosking.gif

For me, the best perk of the bedroom is the private bathroom and not having to get dressed and stumble down the hallway in the middle of the night to pee. :) :giggle:
ohmy.gif
And other times, I just open the window!
mosking.gif
You can do that in the penthouse :rolleyes: but for those of us that have to use bedrooms and roomettes :eek:hboy: your advise will get us in deep doo-doo! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a roomette last year for a 1 night trip. But for a 2 week trip, I'm thinking we might need a bedroom. I know they are larger. What are the toilet, shower, sink like? Thanks again for your help.
Now that the resident Comedians in AU have done their stuff, Ill attempt to answer your questions in a serious and professional manner! It depends! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As was said, Bedrooms can be VERY Pricey (come to think of it so can Roomettes lately! :help: ), using AGR Points that doesnt matter, but if paying (the _traveler faints! :excl: )for your tickets the Roomette, especially on Viewliners, is the way to go IMO! Im with the posters who prefer to sleep parallel to the direction of the Train. Also the toliet/shower combo, as was said, is small (similar to an airline toliet or the Train toliets)and the shower gets the toliet wet! The sink is outside next to the door in Superliner bedrooms which is OK except in Room A which is smaller and most of us dont prefer!

If you can snag a Low Bucket Bedroom (say on the Empire Builder in Winter from SEA-CHI for say $465 it's worth it, when it costs $1400 its not!!) go for it, otherwise the Roomette is the best deal for two since all the other ammenities are the same for 1/3 to 1/2 the price!! ^_^

Bedroom or Roomette - that is the question... In 3 weeks my son and I are doing a scenic RT to Chicago from Virginia. Crescent to NY, and LSL to Chicago - in a Roomette (27 hours - less 2 hr chg in NYC). On the return I opted fro a Bedroom (AGR award each way), but it seems extravagant to spend the extra 10,000 points for a one night, 2 zone award. However - here is my thoughts.... the return is on the Cardinal, and considering there really aren't too many options to hang out on the train (no full size diner, no SSL, etc..) I thought that the BR would give us some nice space - plus I really like the bathroom in the room (with a door).

The clincher was - we are just doing this trip - mainly to enjoy the scenery on the Cardinal in late August - and so I was thinking that the BR will insure that we sleep well the night before the big day of scenery in WV and VA. And it will allow us to be able to see out of either side of the train. There is a nice sized hallway window located across from the BR door - as I recall, the person on the couch can see out both sides, and even move in to the hallway from time to time to see a particular sight on that side of the train.

If there were a sightseer lounge - I would not have spent the extra 10,000. But as it is - there is still a Roomette available on our train, if I wanted to downgrade and save 10,000. It's a tough call - but 2 guys in a Viewliner Roomette is crowded for sleeping.

I do have a lot of points (around 250,000 after this trip is complete - which was 20,000 out + 30,000 back). So I figure - splurge on the BR on the way home in the Cardinal.

Thanks for the Yes votes. I think the trip will be more pleasant with the BR one way. Plus - it may be my last trip until February or so, we may as well splurge.

ohmy.gif
And other times, I just open the window! :giggle:
Speaking of windows :) Do the windows open?
No.
Yes. Only once you get them opened, they are hard to close. Something about an axe hole in them that makes it difficult. :giggle:

ohmy.gif
No.
Yes. Only once you get them opened, they are hard to close. Something about an axe hole in them that makes it difficult. :giggle:
So THAT'S what the SCA meant when I heard him complaining about the axe hole in the other bedroom!

ohmy.gif
No.
Ha Ha! Good to know!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back