Amtrak Service Manual

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just released under the Freedom of Information Act: the Amtrak Service Standards Manual

Amtrak Service Standards Manual for Train Service and On-Board Service Employees, Version 6, 2011 - PDF 6.5 MB

http://tinyurl.com/44fbbvp

cool.gif

being a virtual modeler, I was looking at this and was wondering, the technical information about Amtrak's equiptment (namely drawings of their cars & engines) is this Amtrak's stuff & obtainable under FOIA, or owned by the other companies & not avialable?

peter

I have never heard a conductor actively promoting upgrade sales on any of my trips:

s) Promoting Available On-Board Sleeping Car Accommodations – Conductors and Assistant Conductors should promote and sell Sleeping Car accommodation upgrades when space is available on the manifest. Make the “Availability of Sleeping Car Accommodations Announcement” in Chapter 10 “On-Board Announcements & Signage.” Notify the Train Attendants working in coaches that there is Sleeping Car space available and solicit their help in identifying passengers who might be interested in upgrading their accommodations. This also applies to passengers in a roomette who may want to upgrade to a bedroom. Sleeping Car sales requests should be made by contacting the Reservations Support Desk. Do not call any other number or make reservations through any other method. If space is available, handle the upgrade as a standard on-board sale. Refer to section P “Using COTS for Upgrades” in Chapter 8 “Train Service Accounting Procedures” or the Conductor’s Memorandum Tariff – “Guidelines for Selling Tickets On Board” for further guidance in handling the ticketing process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea there was a Amtrak "Sleeper Non-Berth Policy." If i read it correctly, 4 adult passenger can be booked in a Bedroom, and all of them will receive meals. Likewise, 5 Adults for a Family bedroom. Again, this is for "non-berth" service. Fascinating! ha.

I am somewhat surprised that this information can be obtained under the "FOIA". As a fan, I agree that it is fascinating reading. But on the other hand, if Amtrak were not government owned, and this was a private business, such information would most likely be considered 'highly proprietary', and not for the information of the public.

So I have somewhat mixed feelings about it being made public.

I am somewhat surprised that this information can be obtained under the "FOIA". As a fan, I agree that it is fascinating reading. But on the other hand, if Amtrak were not government owned, and this was a private business, such information would most likely be considered 'highly proprietary', and not for the information of the public.

This isn’t secret information. Operating handbooks and procedures are commonly made public, even in private industry. It would not be hard to get similar documentation for an airline. I’m sure it was a hassle to get this info, but not because the government was reluctant to release it. The hassle was waiting the time it takes for everything to be approved for release.

OBS and operating crews are not overjoyed by this being easily available now, as it holds them to higher scrutiny from passengers who are now “in the know” as to what they are supposed to do, but even then the appeal of this info is to such a small audience that it won’t make much difference.

I do caution people about taking this info and using it to argue with crewmembers when they experience something that is not done “by the book”. You will not endear yourself to Amtrak staff by doing that, and a Conductor will not tolerate too much questioning of his procedures and judgment. He/she does have the power to put you off the train if you are causing a problem to him/her or the crew. You have a right to call “foul” if you know something isn’t being done properly, but don’t get carried away.

I'm a little surprised the guide was released in it's entirety... I would think they'd have an interest in keeping some of the security information confidential.

There are other documents on the Government Attic website available below. They were all provided by AMTRAK through proper legal channels. Interestingly, AMTRAK at first said there was no Service Standards Manual.

Reports produced for Congress by Amtrak not posted on the Amtrak public internet, 2005-2009 - [PDF 1.3 MB - 13-Dec-2010]

http://www.governmentattic.org/4docs/AMTRAK-CongRpts_2005-2009l.pdf

Closing reports for twenty one Amtrak Office of the Inspector General (OIG) investigations, 2008-2009 [PDF 2.2 MB - 23-Aug-2010]

http://www.governmentattic.org/3docs/AMTRAK-CloseMemosIG_2008-2009.pdf

List of AMTRAK Office of Inspector General (OIG) investigations closed October 1, 2008 - December 21, 2009 [PDF 842 KB - 26-Apr-2010]

http://www.governmentattic.org/3docs/ClosedAMTRAK-OIG-Invs_2008-2009.pdf

Master Index of National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK) Mechanical Bulletins, 2003 - 2009 [PDF 622 KB - 09-Sept-2009]

http://www.governmentattic.org/2docs/AmtrakMechBulletins_2003-2009.pdf

National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK) Environmental Management System Manual, Revised: March 2004 [PDF 566 KB - 20-Sep-2008]

http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/AMTRAK_EMS_Manual_Rev2004.pdf

AMTRAK Ink, A Monthly Newspaper for and by Amtrak Employees, Feb 2001–Sep 2006 [PDF 24.1 MB - 15-May-2008]

http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/Amtrak-Ink_2001-2006.pdf

AMTRAK Special Employee Advisories, January 2004 – April 2008 [PDF 1 MB - 15-May-2008]

http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/AMTRAK_Special_Employee_Advisories_2004-08.pdf

AMTRAK Government Rates (ARROW Index for Government Rates) Nov 2007 [PDF 420 KB - 12-Jan-2008]

http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/AMTRAK-Govt%20Rates_ArrowIndex_Nov2007.pdf

FOIA Logs for National Railroad Passenger Corporation for FY 2005–2007 [PDF 5.9 MB - 10-Mar-2008]

http://www.governmentattic.org/docs/FOIA_Logs_AMTRAK_FY2005-07.pdf

==

Are there any other manuals or handbooks that would be worth requesting?

What do you think?

I'll agree with most of the points in the last two posts. I will point out that airlines, and other private companies often have "confidentiality agreements" with their employees forbidding the disclosure of Company proprietary information such as operating procedures and other 'trade secrets', with the understanding that violation could result in termination of employment and other remedies deemed suitable.

Good golly...if a conductor did all he was assigned to do the train may never leave the station. On the other hand 99.9% of conductors, and especially OBS would flunk a rules examiner's ride before they left the station !!!

I'm a little surprised the guide was released in it's entirety... I would think they'd have an interest in keeping some of the security information confidential.
I'm also surprised that they did not black out some of the information. Such as the phone numbers in chapter 13. Some of those are public numbers, but others are dispatch, division & OBS desks, managers, crew bases, the Administrative Assistant for the legal department. Yes, someone could probably find many of these numbers with a search, but it puts all of these phone numbers in one place which might lead to crank or angry phone calls that should be handled by the public help number.

The material in the security and law enforcement sections is mostly general and obvious. There are presumably route and station specific security documents that would not be shared with the public. Still surprising that they did not just redact the security section by reflex.

I'll agree with most of the points in the last two posts. I will point out that airlines, and other private companies often have "confidentiality agreements" with their employees forbidding the disclosure of Company proprietary information such as operating procedures and other 'trade secrets', with the understanding that violation could result in termination of employment and other remedies deemed suitable.
Sure, there is information in any organization that is sensitive and confidential. But, that information is not usually published in standard operating procedure handbooks, which is what this document is. Now, things such as security bulletins or Amtrak Police directives would be detrimental if released publicly, but still would qualify for release once sensitive information has been redacted.

Most confidentiality agreements in airlines are done for employees who work in Marketing, Supply, Operations, Finance, etc. The cabin/flight crews are not exposed to confidential or sensitive corporate information in most circumstances. In fact, almost all of their operating procedures have been dictated to them already by the Feds, which is not sensitive or confidential by any means. The proprietary info is in the “back of the house” operations, not the public-facing operations.

I've been looking for this for a LONG time!

Have a look at PDF page 635 (print 10-9): the announcement conversion chart!

This isn’t secret information. Operating handbooks and procedures are commonly made public, even in private industry. It would not be hard to get similar documentation for an airline. I’m sure it was a hassle to get this info, but not because the government was reluctant to release it. The hassle was waiting the time it takes for everything to be approved for release.

OBS and operating crews are not overjoyed by this being easily available now, as it holds them to higher scrutiny from passengers who are now “in the know” as to what they are supposed to do, but even then the appeal of this info is to such a small audience that it won’t make much difference.

I do caution people about taking this info and using it to argue with crewmembers when they experience something that is not done “by the book”. You will not endear yourself to Amtrak staff by doing that, and a Conductor will not tolerate too much questioning of his procedures and judgment. He/she does have the power to put you off the train if you are causing a problem to him/her or the crew. You have a right to call “foul” if you know something isn’t being done properly, but don’t get carried away.
George B makes a good point about not flogging the crew members with the rule book. Policy manuals are not static documents and change over time. All the crew member has to say is the policy has changed, truth or not.

Also, I don't know if this is what it's supposed to mean, but are attendants and other OBS personnel supposed to carry ALL that stuff with them every day to work? Much of it is Amtrak-supplied, but it looks like the employee must bring it every day and it looks to be several bag's worth:

Interesting items:

LSA's: Menus, checks, ice scoops, corkscrews, thermometers, calculator, knife, signs, Amtrak ads (aren't all these supposed to be kept the diner/lounge?)

Chef: Cooking equipment (tongs, spatulas, knives, ladles, oven mitts) (again, shouldn't these be kept in the kitchen?)

Coach/sleeping car attendants: Mops, electric sweepers, cleaning pads, brooms, de-icer, signs, step box (shouldn't this be in the crew reporting location?)

Sure, there is information in any organization that is sensitive and confidential. But, that information is not usually published in standard operating procedure handbooks, which is what this document is. Now, things such as security bulletins or Amtrak Police directives would be detrimental if released publicly, but still would qualify for release once sensitive information has been redacted.

Most confidentiality agreements in airlines are done for employees who work in Marketing, Supply, Operations, Finance, etc. The cabin/flight crews are not exposed to confidential or sensitive corporate information in most circumstances. In fact, almost all of their operating procedures have been dictated to them already by the Feds, which is not sensitive or confidential by any means. The proprietary info is in the “back of the house” operations, not the public-facing operations.
The airline that I worked for required ALL employees in all departments to periodically sign a confidentiality and business ethics agreement. I was in passenger services, and our company which was in intense and fierce competition with other carriers considered things that outsiders might consider mundane, to be confidential.

Any procedure that we had developed was after long and careful analysis, and if it resulted in even a slight advantage over the way others did things, was a 'trade secret'. We had a very well developed computer reservations system and other computer systems that were considered trade secrets as well. And that definitely included operations manuals issued to employees...

The airline that I worked for required ALL employees in all departments to periodically sign a confidentiality and business ethics agreement. I was in passenger services, and our company which was in intense and fierce competition with other carriers considered things that outsiders might consider mundane, to be confidential.

Any procedure that we had developed was after long and careful analysis, and if it resulted in even a slight advantage over the way others did things, was a 'trade secret'. We had a very well developed computer reservations system and other computer systems that were considered trade secrets as well. And that definitely included operations manuals issued to employees...
That's the difference between working in private industry and in a government corporation covered by the FOIA.

I agree. But, very little that goes on inside the cabin is considered confidential information. The comment that all employees are now required to sign confidentiality agreements I guess doesn’t surprise me, as I see how flight crews can be routinely exposed to “trade secrets” doing ground work . A reservation system, route planning, fare structure, maintenance schedules, supply control and distribution, and other resource management procedures are proprietary, but how the flight crew operates the aircraft, or how the cabin crew attends to their responsibilities are not confidential. I can get a flight manual for every aircraft an airline operates, and each airline does write their own flight manuals. Aircraft operating procedures have to be on file with the FAA.

To tie this all in and keep it on topic, it is the same with Amtrak. Many of the things in that handbook are based upon Federal or State regulations. Things that are not defined by regulations still can’t really be trade secrets, or proprietary information in a government operation. Public records is an area where I have quite a few years of experience, and there isn’t much that you can keep from the public if a reasonable request is made for the information. In most cases, as with requests from the media, the government is obliged to demonstrate why release of information would compromise an investigation, interfere with due process in criminal justice operations, bring unnecessary harm to someone, or compromise national security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back