14 replies to this topic

#1 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Seems like a nice place for folks in the Northeast to take advantage of the shuttles to rack up a few more AGR points, so is it a decent place to spend a couple of hours? Are there things to see or places to eat within walking distance of the station?
41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Never been there by train, except to pass thru on the LSL, so I don't know the area around the station. A better place (and less for the same amount of points) is Hartford, CT. It's right downtown.

Even better places (and even less costs) are Meriden or IIRC Wallingsford, CT. The later has a pizza place within a block!Posted Image (Be aware that these stations are un-staffed on the weekends, so you must call and say you'll pick them up elsewhere - otherwise they will mail the tickets to you!)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#3 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

IIRC, basketball was invented by the YMCA in Springfield. Don't know if they have a museum or not. My favorite non-Amtrak stop is Wilbraham, home of Friendly's Ice cream.

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,423 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

IIRC, basketball was invented by the YMCA in Springfield. Don't know if they have a museum or not. My favorite non-Amtrak stop is Wilbraham, home of Friendly's Ice cream.

Stephen:(Jay) The Basketball Hall of Fame is in Springfield! (I haven't been yet but it's on the Bucket List!) Google up Springfield, I'm sure there's lots of info out there! Ive only been through on the Train also but next time I'm in New England I'll check it out! (if I get a free Hotel @ chez traveler east! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

The Basketball Hall of Fame is indeed in Springfield. It is located on the west side of downtown along I-91. AFAIK, the train station is on the east side of Springfield. I don't know how far or easy it is to get to.
Take it easy .......

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

Also FYI - the Basketball Hall of Fame offers a AAA discount, too!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

#7 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,677 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

The Basketball Hall of Fame is indeed in Springfield. It is located on the west side of downtown along I-91. AFAIK, the train station is on the east side of Springfield. I don't know how far or easy it is to get to.

Cab, not close. You ARE right downtown, so there are plenty of dining choices, etc.

#8 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:38 PM

I went up there on Saturday afternoon for a couple hours. It was an interesting place to spend a couple of hours. I walked to the Dr. Seuss sculpture garden. There were a few museums one could check out if they had more time. On the way back I came across a bakery with some hot fresh bread that made for a pleasant surprise. I think next time I'll check out Hartford, CT.
41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

Dr. Suess was from Springfield. Mark Twain was from Hartford, but I don't think his house and museum is easily accessible from the station.Posted Image
Take it easy .......

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,423 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

I went up there on Saturday afternoon for a couple hours. It was an interesting place to spend a couple of hours. I walked to the Dr. Seuss sculpture garden. There were a few museums one could check out if they had more time. On the way back I came across a bakery with some hot fresh bread that made for a pleasant surprise. I think next time I'll check out Hartford, CT.

Doesnt sound like the town was overun with hot babes Stephen! :lol: Dont think Hartford is either, there's lots of Insurance offcies there! ^_^ Since your so close to NYC why not day trips into the city,or even Philly, there's plenty to do there even if youve been a million times! :cool:

Edited by jimhudson, 27 July 2011 - 01:11 PM.

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Because by going to Springfield and/or Hartford you do an across the platform transfer to the shuttle (train) at NHV. It has a separate train number, thus another 100 points!Posted Image By going to NYP, you earn 200 points RT, while SPG or HFD earns 400 points RT!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

#12 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

Because by going to Springfield and/or Hartford you do an across the platform transfer to the shuttle (train) at NHV. It has a separate train number, thus another 100 points!Posted Image By going to NYP, you earn 200 points RT, while SPG or HFD earns 400 points RT!Posted Image

And so sayeth the AGR Guru! Youre right Dave, just not much to do, sort of like going to Taylor on a Points run! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#13 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

I would second the suggestion for Wallingford. I have some family that lives there and it is a very cute little downtown with some restaurants. The train station is downtown and they have a farmer's market there on Saturdays during the summer. The station IS unstaffed and with no QT, so make sure you get your return ticket from your origination point. You can also walk up the hill to the campus of Choate Rosemary Hall, a quintessential New England boarding school. It is a pretty campus with some buildings designed by IM Pei.

#14 benjibear

benjibear

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

I would like to go to Springfield during the Big E but have never really looked into accomodations and how easy it would be to get between the train station, a hotel, and the Big E.

#15 Dangerous Johnny O'D

Dangerous Johnny O'D

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

If you are going up that way, both Wallingford ct and Berlin CT have pleasant downtown with diners, and pizza parlors and small parks. Nothing spectacular, but nonetheless pleasant

I have always enjoyed that as you head out of New Haven towards Vermont, you feel the pull of the north, of the cool air, the blue sky, and a landscape where birch and and hemlock trees become more numerous.. It is not the beauty of California or Colorado, but on its own terms it is lovely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users