San Antonio to San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spouse and myself want to take train trip from San Antonio to San Francisco, with following possible stops:

Los Angeles (2 days?)

San Luis Obispo or Paso Robles for wine tours

Oakland or S.F. Stations?

possible tour of Yosemite

return trip - S.F. to San Antonio.

Want a direct westward route to L.A. - S.F. with scenic stops along way

should we use a rail pass? (8 segment?)

what about sleeping cars for long haul?

will appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks!
cool.gif

Spouse and myself want to take train trip from San Antonio to San Francisco, with following possible stops:

Los Angeles (2 days?)

Thanks!
cool.gif

I would recommend to consider sleeping cars at least for overnight portions of your trip. If you book well in advance they might be quite cheap and don´t forget all meals are included in the sleeper fare. The sleeper fare is always for 2 person !

see here a virtual walk-thru of a typical Superliner train

http://www.kaemena360.com/home/amtrak-superliner.html

FYI

I happened on this site if you want to avoid renting a car to get to Yosemite.

http://www.yarts.com/

Great Site,

I'm planning a Yosemite trip also & some one on AU refered me to this site!!! I've done a bit of searching for hotels without car rental & am currently thinking the Cedar Lodge in El Portal may be the way to go! If you should know of something better, please let me know!!!

Have Fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Los Angeles (2 days?)

**San Diego or Santa Barbara might be Better!**

** Why not go to Napa/Sonoma when you get to the Bay Area for your Vineyard/Winery Tours??**

**Emeryville is where you catch the AmBus across the Bay to SF**

**see above posts**

** California Zephyr #6 to Galesburg/Van to Sprinfield,ILL/Texas Eagle#21 to San Antonio**

** Coast Starlight#14 LA-Oakland orEmeryvilleor Martinez only way to go**

Compare against Low Bucket Rail Fare if taking Sleepers(Worth it for this trip!!)**

**Definitely, see above**!!

**Read the Trip Reports/Info on this sight/tons of good info here**

Thanks!
cool.gif

I happened on this site if you want to avoid renting a car to get to Yosemite.
http://www.yarts.com/
Or you could just book on Amtrak via Merced.
If you want to go to Yosemite, you'll want to do it either on your way to San Francisco or way back to Los Angeles. Taking the train will require going through the Central Valley.

Personally, I would suggest taking the Coast Starlight north, and visit Yosemite on your way back.

Los Angeles (2 days?)

Thanks!
cool.gif
That's a lot of trains and connections. Looks like outbound San Antonio to St. Louis on the Texas Eagle; St. Louis-Kansas City on the Missouri River Runner, then Kansas City to LA on the Southwest Chief. Then, northbound to the Bay Area on the Coast Starlight (where you may make stops along the way). From the Bay Area you would take the California Zephyr to Galesburg, IL, then bus to Springfield, IL and catch the Texas Eagle to San Antonio. If I were you I would be looking at sleepers on the long stetches. I think I got the routing correct. :blink:

Should be some beautiful territory along the way.

I will let others speak to the utility of rail passes. I believe you can upgrade off of rail passes to sleepers, both in advance or on board. Advance makes more sense as sleepers can sell out.

Re visiting Yosemite, I believe it is a false economy to stay outside the Yosemite Valley. Check out the National Parks website for accommodation within the valley, ranges from expensive to camping. You get the most from your dollar staying right there, the valley floor is flat and you can walk most places, or there are free electric buses (hop-on, hop-off). As the Lodge (our mid-range choice)was supposedly booked out when we wanted to visit a few years ago, I did a little sleuthing and found it had been block booked by a tour company. So we booked with them, it was just a bus ride from San Fran, however many nights we wanted, and the bus back to San Fran. There are also other tours leaving from the Valley to places not reachable without a car or on foot.

Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back