Acela first class menus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In preparation for this week's trip on the Acela, I looked at the fc menus. I'll be traveling north bound on 2172 on Monday afternoon. And Southbound on 2159 Tuesday morning. I obtained the upgrade for 2172, and suspect I'll get one for 2159.

I was not to excited about any of the entrees for the evening services. On any of the menus. For Breakfast, I'll find something. I was just surprised that there was not at least one basic entree on each menu, somewhat like cruise ships do. I know that the Acela does not have that much space. But with 4 choices, for example, one could be more middle of the road rather than some exotic yuppie thing.

I'll enjoy the ride no matter what. I just may be making a run to the snack car to supplement "dinner" lol.

I am a picky eater also because I am allergic to garlic. Most "fancy" entrees contain garlic so I was concerned about not being able to find anything to eat when I traveled on the Acela in May. I was pleased that there was one entree that did not contain garlic. It was a salad with sliced steak. I had it without dressing. Since I was traveling from WAS to BOS, I was entitled to 2 meals, lunch and dinner. I had the same meal for both. On the return trip, I had breakfast from the menu and the same salad for lunch. I was prepared with peanut butter an jelly sandwich just in case there was nothing on the menu that I could eat.

Good luck - I hope you find something that you like. If not, you can drink your lunch or go to the snack bar and pick up something plain.

I rode the Acela in fc a couple of years ago, and did not like the offerings then. I ate the nuts, and then the little bites. And then I bought a cheeseburger. The attendant was concerned that I was dissatisfied. He even wished that I had told him before buying the cheeseburger. I wasn't sure what he could do. I really did not think it was his responsibility to please me if I did not like any of the entrees. But I appreciated his genuine concern.

And thanks for inserting the link, I did not know how.

Suggestion for breakfast.. If they have the smores pancake on the menu get that!!!! :D SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! :D Had it on 2158 out of PHL on the 28th of June and man was it killer! My boss tried to make it but it didn't compare! :p The lagsana on the menu wasn't bad. It's the vegatarian selcetion and it's great! Second time I've had it! That was my lunch.

Don't forget about Clubacela at WAS,PHL,NYP, and BOS. At BOS ask for a red cap. If not you're stuck waiting in line! :eek: Last time I was in CA BOS I was boarding 2255 and went to the bathroom. The red caps came up and asked. My girlfriend didn't know about that rule. So we had to wait an extra 10 minutes! -_- But we were first as the CA attendant said head down and say that I said you could board. The gate was blocked by a station worker and a Rent a Cop who were very polite and understanding and told us next time to get a red cap in a nice way. :)

You could always tell them to stop at KIN and give your meal to me!
mosking.gif

You could always tell them to stop at KIN and give your meal to me! :giggle:
you could always set it up like a mail drop :rolleyes: heck if they can catch a jet on a ship you would think you could catch a meal. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :help: :help: :help:

Aloha

Suggestion for breakfast.. If they have the smores pancake on the menu get that!!!! :D SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!
Man, you can't argue about taste. I had the smores pancake and it reminded me of all the worst features of airline breakfasts (and, yes, I'm old enough to remember them). I'll reserve judgment until I have a lunch or dinner on Acela First Class, but as it is, I would say that the best thing about an Acela breakfast is the bloody Mary.

I agree with you (original poster) about the First Class menu choices for Acela's lunch and dinner options... The last time I rode, I liked the breakfast options, but didn't care much for the lunch or dinner. In fact, I passed on the First Class meal and went in the cafe car and just got one of the pizzas. I got questioned about why I did that from both of the attendants -- but heck -- pizza sounded better than everything on there to me.

Next week, I have a 7 day trip planned... mainly doing daytrips out of NYC. I am doing 4 trips on the Corridor... but knew I could really only afford to do 2 on Acela (and the other 2 would have to be on Regionals). I decided to go Acela First Class on the 2 morning sections just to have their breakfast.

Never had the Smores thing, but the Apple Pancake and Blueberry Pancake I had on Acela last year was EXCELLENT.

Steve,

I'm not sure which menu cycle they're currently using, but as other's have noted if they have the Lasagna it is very good. I've also had the Cannelloni and the stuffed flounder, which IMHO are also very good. Don't know if you like fish though. Finally I've had the Italian sausage selection too, which wasn't half bad. Note, except for the flounder, all are vegitarian selections. The baby back ribs also looked very good, but I haven't tried that one.

Those are the only ones that I know about.

Steve,

I'm not sure which menu cycle they're currently using, but as other's have noted if they have the Lasagna it is very good. I've also had the Cannelloni and the stuffed flounder, which IMHO are also very good. Don't know if you like fish though. Finally I've had the Italian sausage selection too, which wasn't half bad. Note, except for the flounder, all are vegitarian selections.

Italian sausage is a vegetarian selection?

I had the ribs - they were good but I thought the portion was small. The tandoori chicken ceaser salad is excellent. I have also enjoyed the lasagna on the acela. I don't think the FC food is "yuppie" at all and have been pretty happy with it. I have been bummed that I haven't seen the cheese plate for a while as the small plates - that was pretty good.

I once had a very good cheddar scone for breakfast on acela but it was accompanied by a gross oily sauce. Very strange combination. It was supposed to be a mustard dipping sauce but seemed to have separated.

The salad with sliced steak is the best thing on the lunch/dinner menu right now, IMHO. And the tiramisu is good, too! The crab cakes (small bites) are good, but not much food there. Ask for seconds if FC is empty enough, and you'll probably get it.

You could always tell them to stop at KIN and give your meal to me! :giggle:
you could always set it up like a mail drop :rolleyes: heck if they can catch a jet on a ship you would think you could catch a meal. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :help: :help: :help:

Aloha
I'll be standing on the platform with the mail bag hook (from the old RPO days)!
laugh.gif
Those trains didn't stop either.
mosking.gif

Steve,

I'm not sure which menu cycle they're currently using, but as other's have noted if they have the Lasagna it is very good. I've also had the Cannelloni and the stuffed flounder, which IMHO are also very good. Don't know if you like fish though. Finally I've had the Italian sausage selection too, which wasn't half bad. Note, except for the flounder, all are vegitarian selections.

Italian sausage is a vegetarian selection?
Yup, it's a vegetarian sausage. I think it's made with soy, but I'm not sure.

The Acela first class menu sounds very appealing to me -- but I can understand why it might not attract the steak-and-potatoes, burgers-and-fries folks. Still, it's smart of Amtrak to market this cuisine to the sophisticated business-suit crowd that rides Acela First.

Sometimes the vegetarian items can be pretty good. On the western trains I now prefer the Veggieburger (chipotle, corn and black bean patty) to the Amburger for lunch in the dining car. I wish the bun were of better quality, though. It's enormous and the calories are empty.

My big dislike is the dinner salad -- usually a few meager shreds of iceberg lettuce and one lousy plum tomato, and sometimes a couple of croutons. If they could add another variety of lettuce plus a cucumber slice and a spoonful of shredded carrots that would be an improvement. But I admit I don't know how busy the chef and his assistant are in the diners these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back