Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

OT - Question about Insurance in Canada

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:03 AM

In 2008 I became very sick while in Canada and didn't go to a doctor. Now, knowing more about what happened to me, I know I would have definitely ended up in the hospital. I'm no longer taking the meds that almost killed me, but still worry about the possibility of a medical emergency.

I'm planning another trip into Canada, but I'm on Medicare. What happens if there is a medical problem while I'm there? I know Medicare in only good in the U.S. Will the Canadian hospitals and doctors require immediate payment?

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#2 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Canadian healthcare plans, which vary across each of the provinces, do notcover international visitors. You need to by traveller's health insurance coverage before you leave home, just as you would if you were going overseas. Otherwise you would have to pay for any hosptial or other medical services out of your own resources.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

In 2008 I became very sick while in Canada and didn't go to a doctor. Now, knowing more about what happened to me, I know I would have definitely ended up in the hospital. I'm no longer taking the meds that almost killed me, but still worry about the possibility of a medical emergency.

I'm planning another trip into Canada, but I'm on Medicare. What happens if there is a medical problem while I'm there? I know Medicare in only good in the U.S. Will the Canadian hospitals and doctors require immediate payment?

Betty: The previous Poster gave you good advice! The Michael Moore Movie "Sicko" has a great scene where he interviews his relatives in Windsor when they are crossing over to Detroit and buy Health Insurance for the US because "it's so expensive there!" :help: !!!

Even if you have to pay for any Health Care or Prescriptions there, lots of Insurance Plans Reimburse you when you get home and Healthcare and Medicine is MUCH Cheaper in Canada! Not sure if an overnite stay is worth purchasing Travel Insurance, Detroit is just across the River!

I got hurt once in Toronto, had to go to the Emergency Room, got Prompt! Service, Cheap Prescription, took only a little over an hour, Total Bill was $135 CDN, Blue Cross Reimbursed me 80% when I got home! In Austin it would have been over $1,000!!! :o ) YMMV!

BTW-Ive been told by my Canadian relatives and Americans that had to use the Emergency Rooms in Canada that No-one is turned away for Emergency Care in Canada for lack of Funds, they Bill the US Govt. is my understanding, some kind of Bi-Lateral Treaty between the US and Canada!

Edited by jimhudson, 08 July 2011 - 11:20 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Canadian healthcare plans, which vary across each of the provinces, do notcover international visitors. You need to by traveller's health insurance coverage before you leave home, just as you would if you were going overseas. Otherwise you would have to pay for any hosptial or other medical services out of your own resources.

Aloha

While I was on tour with Ice Capades I came down with pneumonia in Montreal (I think) and the Canadian system took care of me. Now since this was a very long time ago (76) so the rules may have changed.

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#5 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thank you. I'll call State Farm. They insure my house and car, so if they don't sell insurance for the trip, they should be able to steer me somewhere. Yes, one day might not be enough to bother. I'll have to see how much it cost and then think it over.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users