Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Via Rail Offering 50% Discount, again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

Looks like Via is trying to fill seats again........

VIA on Sale for 50%.....

#2 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

*winces and doesn't want to ask*

Does this cover The Canadian?

Edit: And yes, I do think they are desperate:
http://www.viarail.c...ncouver-toronto

At those prices, I am sorely tempted to do some sort of scramble.

Edited by Anderson, 17 June 2011 - 01:37 AM.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#3 TN Tin Man

TN Tin Man

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

I've been watching the Express Deals since March to see what is available for the Canadian and how far in advance the fairs are posted.

One problem with the current 50% sale is that VIA stopped offering the Express Deals. A VAN - TOR cabin for one in July was $500 and change as an Express Deal. Now they are over $1000 on the 50% sale.

I guess I have to hope no sale pops up during the time frame I'm planning my Canadian trip.

Edited by WY Tin Man, 18 June 2011 - 12:51 PM.

"What good is the law without the TIN MEN enforcing it" (Finally Retired)

Empire Builder x7, Coast Starlight x6, California Zephyr x6, Pioneer x2, Desert Wind x2, Southwest Chief x2, Pere Marquette, Blue Water, Cascades, Surfliner.

#4 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

One problem with the current 50% sale is that VIA stopped offering the Express Deals. A VAN - TOR cabin for one in July was $500 and change as an Express Deal. Now they are over $1000 on the 50% sale.

A little ironic that they scuttle the best deals of all during the "big sale" isn't it?

Here's a listing of the various ticket rates I've seen on the VIA Canadian in recent queries.

$2300 - Vancouver to Toronto - Sleeper Cabin for One Standard Rate
$1200 - Vancouver to Toronto - Sleeper Cabin for One 50% Off Sale Rate
$0575 - Vancouver to Toronto - Sleeper Cabin for One 75% Off Express Deal

The benefit of the 50% off sale is that you can pick from a lot more days to ride and in the case of sleepers you can still get your money back (minus $100 fee) if you have to cancel ahead of time. The Express deals are much cheaper than any other rate but are only available for very specific dates and cannot be refunded under any circumstances. However, there is virtually no reason to ever pay the standard rate. Even if you have to change plans and repurchase an Express Deal ticket three times you're still saving substantial money over one standard rate purchase.

#5 Guest_train person_*

Guest_train person_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

*winces and doesn't want to ask*

Does this cover The Canadian?

Edit: And yes, I do think they are desperate:
http://www.viarail.c...ncouver-toronto

At those prices, I am sorely tempted to do some sort of scramble.

Go and do it, sell your granny and cat into slavery, go rob and a bank, but go and have a trip on The Canadian.....

Went Vancouver to Toronto in May, quite outstanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users