Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Chicago Dog

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,167 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

The HI will hold your bags for you after checkout, not sure of any charge, it used to be free, until time to head for Union Station. Since you're already in the area the places I mentioned should be of interest! The desk people @ the Hostel are very good @ recommending places to see, things to do in Chicago so sounds like you're all set! Have a nice trip and let us know how it goes!

Edited by jimhudson, 03 November 2014 - 05:08 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#82 Grayewolf

Grayewolf

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Will do. I catch the EB here Monday evening and get to Chi-Town Wednesday ... some time. Emailed the HI Chi about the traisn delays etc and am assured my booking is good no matter what time the EB pulls in. Of course with all the freight delays staying overnight was my only option so I need to kill time Thursday until it's time to catch the cardinal down to Charlottesville then the crescent to Atlanta.

event.png

#83 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

Twin Anchors in Old Town is a noted, but in some ways underknown, rib place and tavern worth a visit. It's about a block and a half from the Sedgewick L stop, just down the block from the 72 North Ave bus, and the 37 stops at the corner by the door.

Second City is nearby, also.

#84 Orie

Orie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Foreign Policy, Photography, Hockey

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Someone mentioned it but I just wanted to second Portillo's. 

Amtrak Routes Ridden: Northeast Regional (13), Acela Express (9), Capitol Limited (4), Palmetto (2), Lakeshore Limited (2), City of New Orleans (1), Crescent (1), Adirondack (1), Maple Leaf (1) = 12,299 miles

Upcoming Planned Routes: Vermonter, Cardinal

Non Amtrak Routes Ridden: Frecciarosa HSR - Italy (8), Via Corridor (1)

#85 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,406 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Skokie last time just in case anybody wanted to know. It was a decent hotel.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#86 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

The Wieners Circle at 2622 N. Clark St. has quite a reputation!

#87 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

I've certainly read about Hot Doug's and seen them featured on cable TV shows.  They're mostly known for their exotic meats, the foie gras topped dog, and their fries cooked in duck fat.

The owner closed Hot Doug's down, in October 2014. :( Two of the cooks that worked at Hot Doug's opened Hot G Dog, and I'd recommend going there if you visit Chicago, and miss Hot Doug's. A lot of the menu items are still on the menu, at Hot G Dog. It's on Clark Street, just north of Saint Boniface Cemetery and Lawrence Ave.

Another option(if you don't mind that it's super expensive to get a bleacher seat at Wrigley Field, so you'll probably be fine opting for the former) is to sit in  the bleachers during a Cubs game, and eat at the stand Doug Sohn set up there. Just don't try to sneak into the bleachers if you have a ticket to a different part of Wrigley, since unlike other stadiums(i.e. Sox Park/Comiskey/refuse to say naming rights name, where it's easy to sneak into that part of the stadium from other parts of the lower deck) they do very strictly check who is entering into the bleacher part of the stadium. :( The menu is supposedly tiny, and nowhere near the number of food options you can order at Hot G Dog.

if your at union station

near by on clark street is royal pawn shop

hardcore pawn chicago on tru-tv a fun place to visit between trains

I remember that show, and for whatever reason I always thought the pawn shop that was in the Detroit area(which they had more episodes of) seemed more interesting of those 2 shops. Maybe I'll check Royal Pawn Shop out someday once, just to say I visited.

And for the poster who was asking about 24/7 diners near Chicago Union Station, the White Palace Grill at Roosevelt and Canal is probably the closest one to there. It's an easy Uber/Lyft ride south from CUS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users