• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,302 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

The HI will hold your bags for you after checkout, not sure of any charge, it used to be free, until time to head for Union Station. Since you're already in the area the places I mentioned should be of interest! The desk people @ the Hostel are very good @ recommending places to see, things to do in Chicago so sounds like you're all set! Have a nice trip and let us know how it goes!

Edited by jimhudson, 03 November 2014 - 05:08 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#82 Grayewolf

Grayewolf

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Will do. I catch the EB here Monday evening and get to Chi-Town Wednesday ... some time. Emailed the HI Chi about the traisn delays etc and am assured my booking is good no matter what time the EB pulls in. Of course with all the freight delays staying overnight was my only option so I need to kill time Thursday until it's time to catch the cardinal down to Charlottesville then the crescent to Atlanta.

event.png

#83 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

Twin Anchors in Old Town is a noted, but in some ways underknown, rib place and tavern worth a visit. It's about a block and a half from the Sedgewick L stop, just down the block from the 72 North Ave bus, and the 37 stops at the corner by the door.

Second City is nearby, also.

#84 Orie

Orie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Foreign Policy, Photography, Hockey

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Someone mentioned it but I just wanted to second Portillo's. 

Amtrak Routes Ridden: Northeast Regional (13), Acela Express (9), Capitol Limited (4), Palmetto (2), Lakeshore Limited (2), City of New Orleans (1), Crescent (1), Adirondack (1), Maple Leaf (1) = 12,299 miles

Upcoming Planned Routes: Vermonter, Cardinal

Non Amtrak Routes Ridden: Frecciarosa HSR - Italy (8), Via Corridor (1)

#85 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:06 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Skokie last time just in case anybody wanted to know. It was a decent hotel.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#86 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

The Wieners Circle at 2622 N. Clark St. has quite a reputation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users