85 replies to this topic

#41 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Just wanted to update that I have still not been able to find a hotel, and time is running out ever so quickly! No offence, but this has become a nightmare!

Some suggestions have already been given in this thread. What's wrong with them -- sold out? More expensive than the posters thought? Too far away?

#42 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Just wanted to update that I have still not been able to find a hotel, and time is running out ever so quickly! No offence, but this has become a nightmare!

Some suggestions have already been given in this thread. What's wrong with them -- sold out? More expensive than the posters thought? Too far away?

In fact, all of them were more exoensive than the poster thought. too far away is not a problem, but the nightmare is bacause all the poster underestimated the price by up to 40%.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#43 Ispolkom

Ispolkom

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

In fact, all of them were more exoensive than the poster thought. too far away is not a problem, but the nightmare is bacause all the poster underestimated the price by up to 40%.

Not knowing the dates makes it difficult to make suggestions. When I personally looked at rates at the Comfort Inn in Aurora on dates I was interested in, I generally found rates under $100.

#44 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Not knowing the dates makes it difficult to make suggestions. When I personally looked at rates at the Comfort Inn in Aurora on dates I was interested in, I generally found rates under $100.

Yeah, for my dates that is now $120.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS

#45 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Elgin stations are not convenient to hotels and I don't know if there are taxis there. Elgin has gone a bit downhill.

If distance is no problem, the Metra goes to Woodstock, which has a small hotel a block from the Metra station. Again, not sure of the price, but there are other hotels which the waiting taxis can take you to.

However, the Metra station for some of the trains is about 3 blocks from Union Station in Chicago. Don't know if you were aware of this.
Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf   74,291 Amtrak miles.  Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

#46 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Elgin stations are not convenient to hotels and I don't know if there are taxis there. Elgin has gone a bit downhill.

If distance is no problem, the Metra goes to Woodstock, which has a small hotel a block from the Metra station. Again, not sure of the price, but there are other hotels which the waiting taxis can take you to.

However, the Metra station for some of the trains is about 3 blocks from Union Station in Chicago. Don't know if you were aware of this.

Yeah, I know that. You're talking about the Ogilvie Center, formally North Western Terminal, unless I am mistaken again.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#47 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, I know that. You're talking about the Ogilvie Center, formally North Western Terminal, unless I am mistaken again.

You are mistaken. Ogilvie Station is formerly North Western Station. Formally, it is either Ogilvie Transportation Center, or Citigroup Center, depending on which part of the building you're referring to.
Posted Image

#48 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

You are mistaken. Ogilvie Station is formerly North Western Station. Formally, it is either Ogilvie Transportation Center, or Citigroup Center, depending on which part of the building you're referring to.

Oh, come on, man. I'm just a guy trying to find a hotel.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#49 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Argh! I meessed up, big time! I booked a hotel on Pricelne by naming my own price but I ended up in a really bad hotel with poor reviews! But I cannot cancel!

edit: not poor location

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 24 June 2012 - 01:45 PM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#50 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Argh! I meessed up, big time! I booked a hotel on Pricelne by naming my own price but I ended up in a really poor location with poor reviews! But I cannot cancel!

What hotel?

I've never had a problem with Priceline, but I'm always careful to select the area where I want the hotel to be, and pick a minimum star level. Then there are websites out there that can help you figure out what hotels you are likely to get based on the star level and location (no guarantees, but they tend to go with the same set of hotels regularly).

#51 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Argh! I meessed up, big time! I booked a hotel on Pricelne by naming my own price but I ended up in a really poor location with poor reviews! But I cannot cancel!

What hotel?

I've never had a problem with Priceline, but I'm always careful to select the area where I want the hotel to be, and pick a minimum star level. Then there are websites out there that can help you figure out what hotels you are likely to get based on the star level and location (no guarantees, but they tend to go with the same set of hotels regularly).

Oh, well. I guess it is just my own fault. I chose a three-star minimum for $80, but I still got a poor hotel. I guess the location is not too bad, so that is OK. Just that the hotel is reported to "stink" by reviewers.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#52 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I've had great experiences with Priceline and Hotwire for Chicago, including the basic (but perfectly functional) Club Quarters and the storied Palmer House, where we passed by a certain former president as we were entering. No joke. If it's good enough for him I would imagine it's good enough for us. I always go for the Loop area and Magnificent Mile areas and I have never been disappointed thus far.

What hotel? I've never had a problem with Priceline, but I'm always careful to select the area where I want the hotel to be, and pick a minimum star level. Then there are websites out there that can help you figure out what hotels you are likely to get based on the star level and location (no guarantees, but they tend to go with the same set of hotels regularly).

Oh, well. I guess it is just my own fault. I chose a three-star minimum for $80, but I still got a poor hotel. I guess the location is not too bad, so that is OK. Just that the hotel is reported to "stink" by reviewers.

It's difficult to take what you say seriously without knowing which hotel you're actually talking about. This thread is full of bumbling half-attempts to explain what you want or when you plan to be there.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#53 John Bredin

John Bredin

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Let me guess. Based on thinking it's a bad hotel in a bad location, then conceding that the location isn't bad, I'd guess the Congress Hotel on South Michigan Avenue. Am I right?

#54 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Let me guess. Based on thinking it's a bad hotel in a bad location, then conceding that the location isn't bad, I'd guess the Congress Hotel on South Michigan Avenue. Am I right?

No. :rolleyes:

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#55 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the help! No turning back now!

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT

#56 June the Coach Rider

June the Coach Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Disabled, so interests are mainly watching sports or traveling by train.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I too am looking for somewhere safe to stay in chicago. I am going to try and catch a Cubs game at Wrigley field whilst I am in town next May. Is there a safe neighborhood between the two or where would you suggest I stay.

#57 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,829 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I too am looking for somewhere safe to stay in chicago. I am going to try and catch a Cubs game at Wrigley field whilst I am in town next May. Is there a safe neighborhood between the two or where would you suggest I stay.

Wrigley is in a safe area. You could also stay in Lincoln Park, which is just south of Wrigleyville/Lakeview.

What is your price range? When we go to Wrigley, we always stay at the Heart O'Chicago motel, which is in a neighborhood called "Andersonville". It has free parking, free Wi-Fi, and free breakfast, and it's on the Clark #22 bus line, which goes directly to Wrigley Field. The rooms aren't fancy, but they're the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in. It looks like an old motel from the 1950s. They even use a ledger instead of a computer. :)

If you're willing to pay a bit more, I've had excellent luck with Hotwire. We've stayed in a few 4-5 star hotels in the Loop for around $125-175/night. Our most recent stay was at Hotel Sax, which we adored. Normally, it's $360/night, but we got it for $149/night through Hotwire. Posted Image

Edited by Sorcha, 21 October 2012 - 04:30 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#58 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Alright! Passing through in three weeks. We did Deep Dish last February on our way through then, and its time to mix things up! Don't have much interest in Chicago Dogs, but Hot Italian Beef Sandwiches are a different story! Where, oh where, is the best shop dishing these bad-boys up at within walking distance of CUS? :)

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x6); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#59 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hot Italian beef sandwiches? I don't think I ever associated Chicago with that.

I'm actually all about Chicago style Deep Dish, although I've never found anywhere outside of Chicago that can seem to get it right.

And I also like the Chicago style dogs, although I think they could still use some more research in the not too distant future. ;)

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#60 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hot Italian beef sandwiches? I don't think I ever associated Chicago with that.

You can blame the Food Network to making my mouth water with regard to Hot Italian Beef Sandwiches. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about them!

And I also like the Chicago style dogs, although I think they could still use some more research in the not too distant future.

I know... Not FROM Chicago, but there is a fancy hot dog place not far from my house that has a pretty darn tasty 'Chicago-style' hot dog. But there really are no places serving Hot Beef Sandwiches close to the ones I'm hankering for. :ph34r:

Also, since we're going round-trip, we'll be traversing Chicago twice in the span of a week. Might have to do Hot Beef one way, and Hot Dog the other? Unless the Deep Dish fever is caught! :help: :giggle:

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x6); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x3); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)

VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users