Retired RR Privileges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
Does anyone know what the rules are regarding these? I ran into the (never remarried, AFAIK) spouse of a (deceased) former C&O/Chessie employee today at my office...she's one of the older ladies working there, running the tool room. From what I gathered, her husband was a C&O employee for at least ten years on A-Day, and possibly longer, so I'd like to be able to tell her what privileges she has on Amtrak (if any). Also, since I know that the rules refer to one's "home road", how does that work now that almost all of the RR's on A-day have merged with others, and a lot of trains ran (and run) over multiple lines?

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding these? I ran into the (never remarried, AFAIK) spouse of a (deceased) former C&O/Chessie employee today at my office...she's one of the older ladies working there, running the tool room. From what I gathered, her husband was a C&O employee for at least ten years on A-Day, and possibly longer, so I'd like to be able to tell her what privileges she has on Amtrak (if any). Also, since I know that the rules refer to one's "home road", how does that work now that almost all of the RR's on A-day have merged with others, and a lot of trains ran (and run) over multiple lines?
I'm no authority on passes but do have one. It does give me and my wife the right to 12 free rides on my home road and 50% off any other road but not until 24 hours before train departure. My best suggestion is to have her call Amtrak HQ as HIPPA laws will stone wall your efforts. Bear in mind that for some reason Amtrak has records of what exact RR an employee worked for on May 1st, 1971.

I don't know how the rules on pass travel apply currently, but the way it used to be was as had8ley described. In the case of mergers, acquisitions, etc., the 'home road' was what portion if any, of the actual route the train you ride covered that was part of your former employee at the beginning of Amtrak. In cases where the train uses other roads for a portion, the fares are pro-rated.

So for example, if you had worked for the Santa Fe, and originally had 'home road' privileges on the Chief all the way from CHI to LAX, you now had to pay a portion of the route from CHI to GBB, as that was originally the BN. The fact that the BN and ATSF merged later doesn't matter.

In another scenario, a former Penn Central employee could travel from Washington to Chicago via Harrisburg free. When the Capitol Limited started running WAS-PGH-CHI, he now would have to pay WAS to PGH (over former B&O). Those that didn't care about the extra time, would detour WAS-PHL-PGH-CHI to save a few dollars.

In other words, it doesn't matter who currently owns the tracks you ride over. It only matters who owned it at the time of A-Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
To former RR employees, the pass privileges they enjoyed on Amtrak could improve or worsen, depending on who they worked for as Amtrak added and subtracted routes over the years. Penn Central employees had a pretty good network of home road routes. BN was probably next. Then perhaps SP, and ATSF, and SCL. Union Pacific at first only had Denver to Ogden, and then only tri-weekly. Later, when the Pioneer and Desert Wind started, that improved to LAX and PDX. Now what do they have?

B&O at first had nothing. Then WAS to Parkersburg, later on to Cincinnati. Then the Capitol started, giving them WAS to PGH. Later, the Broadway was rerouted onto them from PGH to CHI. At that time it was frustrating for PC and B&O employees wanting a free ride from WAS via PGH to CHI. The Capitol ran WAS to PGH on B&O then on to CHI on PC. The Broadway ran PHL to PGH on PC then PGH to CHI on B&O. So both employees would have to pay a portion of the thru train unless they transfered at PGH.

I don't recall who might have been able to do a same day transfer back then, to save a few dollars.

From Denver to Portland, a BN employee would have to pay all the way on the Pioneer. So some would take the time and travel via CHI and only have to pay CHI to MSP on the MILW.

Of course, Amtrak employees had the best deal, as they could go all over free. And no limit, back then. In the good old days, they could ride in the NEC and not even have to get tickets for unreserved trains. They only had to write their own form, tear it off a pad, and hand it to Conductor, along with displaying their pass.

Honestly Don't know the Current Policy for Ex-RRers or all the details for Current Amtrak Employees but know lots of OBS that Live in Cities other than their Base and Commute via Amtrak Without Paying a Fare! Is this Professional Courtesy or What? Also have seen RRers be Given Rooms in the TransDorm by Conductors and Didn't seem like any Paperwork or $$$ was Involved??? Anyone else have anything on this??? :help:

There's always a certain amount of deals that are made based on professional courtesy/handshake policy. If the space isn't being used, what's the harm in another employee using it, even if they're not "on the clock"? Similar things happen in the hotel/restaurant business all the time with comp rooms and comp meals...

In the case of OBS employees doing long-distance commuting....that is perfectly legit. If they are given the use of non-sold rooms, gratis, that is probably not quite legit, but just a case of 'professional courtesy, as mentioned. Employees booking rooms generally must pay one half the regular rate for the accommodation charge. In that case, meals would be included.

As far as former RR employees goes...doubtful they would be given the free use of a room, but not saying it never happens, especially if the Conductor knows them personally. But he'd be taking a chance of jeopardizing his job if caught by an auditor of some kind...

Honestly Don't know the Current Policy for Ex-RRers or all the details for Current Amtrak Employees but know lots of OBS that Live in Cities other than their Base and Commute via Amtrak Without Paying a Fare! Is this Professional Courtesy or What? Also have seen RRers be Given Rooms in the TransDorm by Conductors and Didn't seem like any Paperwork or $$$ was Involved??? Anyone else have anything on this??? :help:
Yes, it happens more than one thinks it might Jim. One trip I was watching a pack of kids running back and forth from the Crescent sleeper to the diner all day long from Atlanta to NOL. Took note of what bedroom that kept coming out of and checked the computer the next day. The room had been sold to Atlanta but unsold any further. Turns out daddy was the chef in the diner. I've been guilty of taking a few unsolicited rooms from Conductors I know but the word is out that there are more 'spotters" now than ever. I try to have my room bought well before boarding. :cool:

Thanks a bunch. Obviously, I'll be suggesting that she check with Amtrak just to be sure of things, but I figured there were some standard rules that could be figured out without the need to get into extreme detail. To make sure I understand this, though...for these purposes, when did C&O and B&O actually "merge"? B&O has the CL stuff as far as PGH, obviously, but is it considered one and the same with the C&O for these purposes (which would add in, at least, the Northeast Regional as far as RVR, and a good chunk of the Cardinal), or are they considered to have been separate at the time? I ask because of the...well, strange mess that the Chessie merger process was.

Thanks a bunch. Obviously, I'll be suggesting that she check with Amtrak just to be sure of things, but I figured there were some standard rules that could be figured out without the need to get into extreme detail. To make sure I understand this, though...for these purposes, when did C&O and B&O actually "merge"? B&O has the CL stuff as far as PGH, obviously, but is it considered one and the same with the C&O for these purposes (which would add in, at least, the Northeast Regional as far as RVR, and a good chunk of the Cardinal), or are they considered to have been separate at the time? I ask because of the...well, strange mess that the Chessie merger process was.
That's a good question. In thinking back, I believe that they were both shown as C&O on their Rail Travel Privilege Cards. So they were considered as 'merged' prior to the Amtrak start-up. Agreed, best check with Amtrak to be sure....

*** NOTE THAT THAT THIS THREAD IS ONE AND ONE HALF YEARS OLD ***

My question is My 4/29/66 seniorty date got me a pass with L-R-R, now my daughter is grown

and the pass is L-R-X. Can this be up dated again to LLX ? (CB&Q)

Then Both X employee and spouse could make 12 free trips a year.

Are any retirees out there off the CB&Q Junior to me with better priviledges?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back