Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

How strict are the carry on luggage limits?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kidairbag_*

Guest_kidairbag_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone. I'm starting graduate school at Bard College a week from tomorrow. Since I'm going to be spending the summer on campus, I'm going to have two full suitcases as well as a backpack. I'm going to be spending the night with family on Long Island and then the plan is to take LIRR to Penn Station followed by the 63 Maple Lead to Rhinecliff, NY.

I noticed that the Rhinecliff station doesn't offer checked baggage. Do you think I'd be able to get away with two suitcases and a backpack as carry on? I know the official limit is 2 items.

Thanks for your help! :]

#2 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

You should be fine, as backpacks don't count against the two items per passenger carryon limit.
Amtrak Miles and Trains Traveled: 89811-City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Heartland Flyer, Wolverine. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled: 8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#3 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

It's been posted here that the unofficial rule is "If you can carry it on board yourself without interfering with the boarding process, you can carry it on board." I take that to mean if you can wear your backpack, roll one suitcase behind you and carry the other suitcase at the same time while you board, you should be OK. By "two full suitcases," do you mean two really big ones? If so, it might be a bit of a trick, but it still should be possible.
Lifetime Amtrak Miles: 5,046
Lifetime Non-Amtrak Rail Miles:
Long Island Railroad: 8,327,261 (at least it seemed like that many)

#4 Guest_rider_*

Guest_rider_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have almost always boarded the train with a wheeled suitcase, a full sized guitar, a shoulder bag, and a backpack - never got even the slightest glance. I think the idea is, as long as you can carry it all yourself without any struggle or need for staff help, you are fine.

#5 amtkstn

amtkstn

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

On my last trip our Sleeping Car attandent talked about Amtrak tighting up those standards. She told us that many Amtrak persounal were putting in medical claims from lifting two much heavy luggage with back promblems.

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,352 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:04 AM

I myself have never seen the "2 bag limit" strictly enforced. There is plenty of room above your seat in the luggage rack and at the end of the cars.

On my last trip our Sleeping Car attandent talked about Amtrak tighting up those standards. She told us that many Amtrak persounal were putting in medical claims from lifting two much heavy luggage with back promblems.

Why would they be lifting bags anyway?Posted Image On Superliners, you can leave bags in the luggage rack downstairs. On Amfleet trains, most times those that put bags up on the luggage rack are either the passengers themselves, other passengers who assist or a Red Cap. I hardly ever see an Amtrak employee help with bags!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Why would they be lifting bags anyway?Posted Image On Superliners, you can leave bags in the luggage rack downstairs. On Amfleet trains, most times those that put bags up on the luggage rack are either the passengers themselves, other passengers who assist or a Red Cap. I hardly ever see an Amtrak employee help with bags!Posted Image

I would agree that I don't see Amtrak employees lifting bags onboard the train very often, I do see Amtrak employees help with bags when passengers are boarding or detraining. (Think low-level platform and single-level equipment.)

#8 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

It's been posted here that the unofficial rule is "If you can carry it on board yourself without interfering with the boarding process, you can carry it on board."

I take that to include climbing up and down the vestibule stairs (if any), and quickly making it down any isles. It can be rather tight in those areas.

I think the condition of "in one trip" is applicable too. You can't carry some things on-board, get back off, take some more on-board, get back off, and take even more on-board.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,352 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

I think the condition of "in one trip" is applicable too. You can't carry some things on-board, get back off, take some more on-board, get back off, and take even more on-board.

I've done it (as you say) in more then one trip.

I use a walking stick, and before my stop at my destination last week, I put 1 bag in the vestibule and then went back to get my other bag. When the train stopped, I got off carrying my walking stick and the 1 bag. I waited for everyone else to get off, and then I went back aboard to get my other bag from the vestibule! (Actually the Conductor got it for me!Posted Image)

So never say never!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#10 EB_OBS

EB_OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Family, PC games, outdoors, and working for Amtrak.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

It's my opinion that you are hearing more from employees about the carry-on limits being enforced because this "if you can handle it, it's ok" mentally has gotten out of hand. So many passengers are bringing with them 3-5 bags, oversized bags and boxes plus the items that don't count towards the limit that busy trains are just running out of space to stowe it all. It's amazing to me how much some people bring that they can handle themselves but in reality can't. The carry-on limits exist for a reason.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

How strict are they with double a batteries?

#12 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,444 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Double A Batteries?

How many can you carry?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#13 Henry Kisor

Henry Kisor

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Seems to me that some passengers use Amtrak instead of moving vans to transport their households from one place to another.
Author of Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America, now available as Kindle and Nook ebooks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users