Coach vs Business on Palmetto 90 SC to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ann

I will be traveling with my husband and two children aged 9 and 10 on the Palmetto 90 roundtrip from charleston, SC to Washington, DC and back. I am guessing that we will all get to sit near each other on the way up since the train originates out of Savannah, GA but I am concerned about doing the same on the way home since the train originiates in NYC. Does anyone think it is worth the extra $180 one way to purchase business class tickets? Does business class seats mean specific assigned seats? I am confused about reserved coach seats vs reserved business. Is there a difference?

Thanks!

No the seats in business class are not assigned.

As for an extra $180 that is up to you. I generally pay around $36 a head more and drink around 4-5 Pepsi's over the trip. Figure they are worth 2.5 each then you are looking that the seat is maybe a couple inches more legroom for around 23.50 for me. I look at it for the extra points. But, It is a hard argument. Generally less crowded in business class and often I end up with a pair of seats to myself.

It is indeed a "Crap Shoot" on your return trip. Convenience and being able to sit together (hopefully in biz class, still no guarantee) vs. riding coach. With Amtrak's Regionals being very crowded, that is a very, very IFFY choice.

Damned if you do (pay for Biz Class, and still have to sit apart) and damned if you don't, (don't pay biz class, and THINK that if you would have, you probably would have had a better chance to sit together)

Other than looking up ridership figures for specif trains (dunno how) personally I'd elect NOT to pay the difference, and ask the conductor or Train Attendant upon boarding if they could help you find seats together...

AC,

How do you manage more than one free drink per trip? I thought it was just one per?

Never knew there was a limit.

On the last trip from WAS to RMT on the Palmetto for Natl Train Day I had 5 pepsi's just by asking when I was thirsty. On the Carolinian frm RMT to CLT the same trip I had 2 again just by asking.

I never knew there was a limit and the car attendant never said anything nor informed me that there was a beverage limit in Business class.

Where does it state a single Pepsi limit on a trip?

AC,

How do you manage more than one free drink per trip? I thought it was just one per?
The general rule is one per person. But LSA's don't really care. Just as long as you show your ticket stub that says Business Cl. All the LSA's concern is really is getting rid of the soda's. They are given a decent amount of cans. So they want to get rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back