Florida Mini Gathering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Frugalist (from Sebring) and I (from Orlando) were thinking about having a mini gathering somewhere in Florida. The purpose of this post is to determine the extent of the interest in such an event.

Frugalist suggested that we meet at one of the Giordano's Restaurants in the Orlando area. Neither are located anywhere the Amtrak station, however. To do a day trip by train may be difficult depending on your location in Florida. If coming from North or Central Florida, one can do a round trip (to Kissimmee, Lakeland, Tampa) by taking the morning southbound Star and returning by taking the evening northbound Star.

We were also thinking that since the temperatures are already consistently in the 90's in Central Florida, that Fall/Winter would be a better time of year.

If you are, or might be, interested in attending a Florida mini gathering, please post a response with your preference for location and time of year.

Thanks,

Penny

I would think that could be fun! I would be coming from STP & would have to overnight for my return, which isnt a problem. The only problem for me is, I dont drive, so somewhere , like KIS, where a short cab ride to a motel, would be best. There may not be a Giordanos there but there are plenty of restaurants.

Let's try it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Winter Park, with several restaurants within two or three blocks, plus the Morse Museum of Tiffany Stained Glass?

Thanks for your responses. There appears to be enough interest to try to arrange something when the weather gets cooler. Frugalist is out of time right now and I will consult with him when he returns. I will suggest posting a poll regarding cities and dates in the next few months.

I think Winter Park would be a good location.

Penny can get from Orlando to Winter Park without any

turns!! If you go farther, perhaps Kevin, Jis and I

could come to be certain she doesn't make any WRONG TURNS!!

If we had a way of finding out about a fall point bonus, we might coordinate the gathering during that time! Anyone tight with Boardman? :lol:

Frugalist is out of time right now and I will consult with him when he returns.
:eek: :eek: That can't be good to be out of time. :eek:

By the way, if you're going to have a mini-gathering, be sure to invite Minnie Mouse to make it an official minnie-gathering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frugalist is out of time right now and I will consult with him when he returns.
:eek: :eek: That can't be good to be out of time. :eek:

By the way, if you're going to have a mini-gathering, be sure to invite Minnie Mouse to make it an official minnie-gathering.
Oops :wacko: My fingers made a wrong turn - I meant out of town.

I'm out of the loop on this "Wrong Turn" thing!?! Can't wait to witness it for myself!!! :giggle:
We are being very childish about making fun of directional dysfunction. I agree that I am guilty about beating a dead horse of a joke, but it is all in fun. Dick, Kevin, Jis and I can agree and laugh about this topic (where, on the other hand, we are not all on the same page politically and we would not be laughing at the same time :blink: ).

Though I'm form VA...I might potentially be interested in an East Coast gathering of this sort. I'll likely have points to burn on sleepers down and back, and I've got friends I can visit with and combine this on.

I'm back from a crazy long weekend to Washington DC that culminated in a last-minute AGR booking on the Silver Meteor back to Florida (I made the mistake of flying up there -- what was I thinking?!). TSA Three-Ring-Circus. Crappy weather. Metro track work causing system-wide delays all weekend. Seemed like half the Metro escalators didn't work, etc., etc.

Just about any location from Tampa-Orlando-Daytona, south would work for me. As suggested by many, fall/winter would be preferred. Ideally sometime in the November-to-March timeframe.

I really don't know what to suggest for activities, so I'll go with whatever the group suggests.

Not much more to add at this point. Keep me in the loop.

I'm back from a crazy long weekend to Washington DC that culminated in a last-minute AGR booking on the Silver Meteor back to Florida (I made the mistake of flying up there -- what was I thinking?!). TSA Three-Ring-Circus. Crappy weather. Metro track work causing system-wide delays all weekend. Seemed like half the Metro escalators didn't work, etc., etc.

Just about any location from Tampa-Orlando-Daytona, south would work for me. As suggested by many, fall/winter would be preferred. Ideally sometime in the November-to-March timeframe.

I really don't know what to suggest for activities, so I'll go with whatever the group suggests.

Not much more to add at this point. Keep me in the loop.

Welcome back Frugalist. I agree that after November is a better time of year (although today in Orlando we had "Chamber of Commerce" weather - virtually no humidity and barely 80 degrees. I did a points run from WPK to ORL and back and stayed outside during my ORL layover and it was beautiful outside.

Welcome back Frugalist. I agree that after November is a better time of year (although today in Orlando we had "Chamber of Commerce" weather - virtually no humidity and barely 80 degrees. I did a points run from WPK to ORL and back and stayed outside during my ORL layover and it was beautiful outside.
Thank you pennyk. I waved to you as we went through Orlando Monday. I knew you were out there somewhere. ;)

Yes, today's weather is rather exceptional for mid-May. If only it could last all summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back