20 replies to this topic

#1 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

Frugalist (from Sebring) and I (from Orlando) were thinking about having a mini gathering somewhere in Florida. The purpose of this post is to determine the extent of the interest in such an event.

Frugalist suggested that we meet at one of the Giordano's Restaurants in the Orlando area. Neither are located anywhere the Amtrak station, however. To do a day trip by train may be difficult depending on your location in Florida. If coming from North or Central Florida, one can do a round trip (to Kissimmee, Lakeland, Tampa) by taking the morning southbound Star and returning by taking the evening northbound Star.

We were also thinking that since the temperatures are already consistently in the 90's in Central Florida, that Fall/Winter would be a better time of year.

If you are, or might be, interested in attending a Florida mini gathering, please post a response with your preference for location and time of year.

Thanks,

Penny

Amtrak miles: 123,321; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#2 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

I would think that could be fun! I would be coming from STP & would have to overnight for my return, which isnt a problem. The only problem for me is, I dont drive, so somewhere , like KIS, where a short cab ride to a motel, would be best. There may not be a Giordanos there but there are plenty of restaurants.
Let's try it :)

Edited by Rail Freak, 14 May 2011 - 01:10 PM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (5) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (4), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 53,591 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#3 Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, AU, photography, poetry, surfing internet,

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

How about West Palm?
California Zephyr LNK-DEN(RT), DEN-GJT (RT), OMA-CHI(RT) 2/11
Capitol Limited CHI-WAS (RT) 2/11
Silver Meteor WAS-WPB (RT) 2/11
Empire builder FAR-CHI (RT) 3/12
CL CHI-WAS 4/12
SM WAS-WPB 4/12
SM WPB-NYP 4/12
LSL NYP-CHI 4/12
EB CHI-FAR 4/12
EB FAR-CHI 4/13
CL CHI-WAS 4/13
SM WAS-WPB 4/13
SM WPB-NYP 4/13
LSL NYP-CHI 4/13
EB CHI-FAR 4/13
SM WPB-NYP 2/14
LSL NYP-CHI 2/14
EB CHI-FAR 2/14
EB FAR-CHI 2/14
CZ CHI-DEN 2/14

Miles as of Feb 2014......23, 279
Future Plans....Coast Starlight and SW Chief

#4 John-MCPO-USN

John-MCPO-USN

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

Coming from JAX.....fall/winter is better.....John
==========================
John, MCPO, USN
SEP 2011 - JAX-WAS #98, WAS-CHI #51, CHI-SAC #5, SAC-SEA #14, SEA-CHI #8, CHI-WAS #30 and WAS-JAX #97.
2002 to 2007 - To many trips to count up-n-down Eastern Seaboard from BOS/NYC to JAX.
Aug 2001 - Missouri River Runner from Jefferson City to CHI, then LSL to Boston, then Downeaster to Maine, and return.
June 1996 - Coast Starlight from OXN to EUG and return.
July 1995 - #2 Sunset Limited from LAX to JAX (yes, JAX).
July 1993 - Desert Wind from LAX to SLC, then #6 to CHI---during the Floods of 93, detour over CNW with "E" unit on head-end; then #30 to WAS.

#5 Guest_OCL1_*

Guest_OCL1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

How about Winter Park, with several restaurants within two or three blocks, plus the Morse Museum of Tiffany Stained Glass?

#6 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for your responses. There appears to be enough interest to try to arrange something when the weather gets cooler. Frugalist is out of time right now and I will consult with him when he returns. I will suggest posting a poll regarding cities and dates in the next few months.

Amtrak miles: 123,321; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#7 Shanghai

Shanghai

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

I think Winter Park would be a good location.
Penny can get from Orlando to Winter Park without any
turns!! If you go farther, perhaps Kevin, Jis and I
could come to be certain she doesn't make any WRONG TURNS!!
Spirit of St Louis, Broadway Limited, Three Rivers, Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star, Pennsylvanian, Keystone, Silver Meteor, Regional, Acela, Capitol Limited, Hoosier State, Texas Eagle, Maple Leaf, Empire Service, Ethan Allen, Eurostar, TGV, BR, Orient Express, Netherlands Rail, SCNF, DSB, Deutsche Bahn, KCRC, MRT, MTR, California Zephyr, Carolinian, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln Service, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Cascades, Pacific Surfliner, BART, CalTrain, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, Dinky, MBTA, Downeaster, UTA Trax, Heartland Flyer, Hiawatha, Illinois Zehpyr,Carl Sandburg, Piedmont, Vermonter, Metro North

#8 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

If we had a way of finding out about a fall point bonus, we might coordinate the gathering during that time! Anyone tight with Boardman?:lol:

Silver Meteor #97(5) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(4), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (5) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (4), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58 (1) #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (3), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63 San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422, Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 53,591 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#9 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,757 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Frugalist is out of time right now and I will consult with him when he returns.

:o :o That can't be good to be out of time. :o

By the way, if you're going to have a mini-gathering, be sure to invite Minnie Mouse to make it an official minnie-gathering.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#10 oldtimer

oldtimer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:If it rolls, flies, or floats I can fix it, certified A&P mechanic, builder and crew chief for late model stock car, I ride a 1977 GoldWing and have worked a lot on vintage aircraft.

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

By the way, if you're going to have a mini-gathering, be sure to invite Minnie Mouse to make it an official minnie-gathering.

And don't forget to drive there in Mickey's favorite car, a MinnieVan!

:giggle: :rolleyes:

#11 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

Oops :wacko: My fingers made a wrong turn - I meant out of town.

#12 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

I'm out of the loop on this "Wrong Turn" thing!?! Can't wait to witness it for myself!!!:giggle:

HAVE FUN

#13 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

I'm out of the loop on this "Wrong Turn" thing!?!

Not to worry, it's merely a dead horse being flogged by folks unable or unwilling to realize that a joke long ago ceased to be funny.
WhoozOn1st
See! Whooz Train Video Asylum "It's Raileriffic!!" Now over 300 Steam, Electric, and Diesel clips!
Enjoy! Whooz Rail SmugShots & Videos New & Improved: New Pics & Vids added daily!
Peruse! Whooz Picasa Memory Lane is a nice drive.

#14 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

I'm out of the loop on this "Wrong Turn" thing!?! Can't wait to witness it for myself!!!:giggle:

We are being very childish about making fun of directional dysfunction. I agree that I am guilty about beating a dead horse of a joke, but it is all in fun. Dick, Kevin, Jis and I can agree and laugh about this topic (where, on the other hand, we are not all on the same page politically and we would not be laughing at the same time :blink: ).

#15 ACVitale

ACVitale

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Family, Aviation and of course trains

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Sounds fun! Count me in.

#16 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:56 AM

Though I'm form VA...I might potentially be interested in an East Coast gathering of this sort. I'll likely have points to burn on sleepers down and back, and I've got friends I can visit with and combine this on.
Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#17 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'm back from a crazy long weekend to Washington DC that culminated in a last-minute AGR booking on the Silver Meteor back to Florida (I made the mistake of flying up there -- what was I thinking?!). TSA Three-Ring-Circus. Crappy weather. Metro track work causing system-wide delays all weekend. Seemed like half the Metro escalators didn't work, etc., etc.

Just about any location from Tampa-Orlando-Daytona, south would work for me. As suggested by many, fall/winter would be preferred. Ideally sometime in the November-to-March timeframe.

I really don't know what to suggest for activities, so I'll go with whatever the group suggests.

Not much more to add at this point. Keep me in the loop.
Lifetime Amtrak Miles: 5,046
Lifetime Non-Amtrak Rail Miles:
Long Island Railroad: 8,327,261 (at least it seemed like that many)

#18 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Frugalist: You mean that half of them were working? That'd be an improvement.
Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)
Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)
Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#19 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

I'm back from a crazy long weekend to Washington DC that culminated in a last-minute AGR booking on the Silver Meteor back to Florida (I made the mistake of flying up there -- what was I thinking?!). TSA Three-Ring-Circus. Crappy weather. Metro track work causing system-wide delays all weekend. Seemed like half the Metro escalators didn't work, etc., etc.

Just about any location from Tampa-Orlando-Daytona, south would work for me. As suggested by many, fall/winter would be preferred. Ideally sometime in the November-to-March timeframe.

I really don't know what to suggest for activities, so I'll go with whatever the group suggests.

Not much more to add at this point. Keep me in the loop.

Welcome back Frugalist. I agree that after November is a better time of year (although today in Orlando we had "Chamber of Commerce" weather - virtually no humidity and barely 80 degrees. I did a points run from WPK to ORL and back and stayed outside during my ORL layover and it was beautiful outside.

#20 frugalist

frugalist

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Frugalist: You mean that half of them were working? That'd be an improvement.

Then we should have counted our blessings. ;)
Lifetime Amtrak Miles: 5,046
Lifetime Non-Amtrak Rail Miles:
Long Island Railroad: 8,327,261 (at least it seemed like that many)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users