Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Navy 118

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Navy 118

Navy 118

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Private cars and passenger trains, and the Mighty Marquette Rail!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

Navy Inspection Car 118 is headed to DC in the next few days, keep your eyes pealed!

#2 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Display and touring on NTD? EDIT: Formerly a UP business car, also numbered 118.

Posted Image

Edited by WhoozOn1st, 23 April 2011 - 09:10 PM.

WhoozOn1st

#3 Navy 118

Navy 118

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Private cars and passenger trains, and the Mighty Marquette Rail!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

UP 1214, UP 118, UP 120, Sold into private ownership :)

#4 Guest_sdshelley_*

Guest_sdshelley_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Inspection Car Navy 118 was sitting this morning, 4/26, outside the Amtrak car shops just south of Union Station in Chicago as my Metra commuter run headed inbound. If it ever made it to D.C., it didn't stay long.

#5 WhoozOn1st

WhoozOn1st

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

If it ever made it to D.C., it didn't stay long.

I'm guessing just a layover, and still on its way to the capital. D.C. is not a "one seat ride" from 118's usual home in Michigan. Like any passenger it has to change trains at Chicago.

WhoozOn1st

#6 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

Aloha

I saw Navy 118 also on Monday 4/25 in Chicago on my way to LAUS Train day on May 7 considering how long a trip for this car I might see it again on the way back to Las Angeles. I hope there is a Private Varnish open for my 9 year old Granddaughter Even to see,

I got a picture of the car which I will upload after I get a faster connection.

Edited by GG-1, 27 April 2011 - 07:06 AM.
Aditional thought

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#7 Ashland Train Enthusiast

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Information Technology, Camping, Sailing, Cycling, Meteorology, Fine Dining and Gourmet Cuisine, Cooking, History

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

I saw Navy 118 in all its splendor queued up on the back of the CL that came into DC this afternoon on my way out of the city, so it's in DC now... any bets on whether or not it stays here until NTD?

Riding Amtrak since I was 8 years old

Lifetime Amtrak Miles: 25654

Amtrak Trains Ridden: Acela Express (BC & FC), California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carolinian, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Palmetto, Piedmont, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Vermonter

Other US Trains: New Hope Valley RR, Cass Scenic RR, Strasburg RR, Maine Narrow Gauge RR

International Trains Ridden: Shatabdi Express, Himalayan Queen (narrow gauge)Raniket Express, Agra Fort Intercity, Marudhar Express, Mumbai Mail

Upcoming Trips: NER/Capital Limited/Texas Eagle (RT ASD - SAS) Fall 2017

Current (Suspended) Project: Dinner in the Diner, a site about Amtrak Diner Meals

#8 Guest_RDG T-1_*

Guest_RDG T-1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

Watched them wye this car in Ivy City at lunch today, from the 9th Street bridge. Observation end will now be facing Union Station concourse.

Rick

#9 Guest_Higgins721_*

Guest_Higgins721_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

Just saw 118 heading toward Union Station.

#10 Guest_sophia K_*

Guest_sophia K_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Just saw 118 heading toward Union Station.

I saw this car Tuesday Mmay 3rd, in Pilsen area, being pulled by Amtrak... Is gorgeous

#11 Guest_Dougg_*

Guest_Dougg_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

It's in DC now at Union Station, looks great!

#12 Guest_Joseph Vickstein_*

Guest_Joseph Vickstein_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Just saw it in Williamsburg Virginia headed towards Newport News.

#13 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,663 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:27 AM

Next time someone sees it coming down the Peninsula subdivision, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could shoot me a PM. The timing on this was epically bad (I was headed up to NYP not 18 hours after the last post), but I live close enough to the line here (and not too far from the railyard), so I can probably snap some pictures.

Edited by Anderson, 16 November 2011 - 05:42 AM.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#14 Guest_F. M. Jarrells ABCM RET._*

Guest_F. M. Jarrells ABCM RET._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

I got a grand tour of 118 last night!!! Totally impressed !!! Great job to the owner Retired Navy Chief Tyler Robbins!! Brozo Zulu Shipmate!!

#15 Guest_railwayjohn_*

Guest_railwayjohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Navy 118 is being stored at Fort Eustis, VA, for the winter. It will be parked at the US Army Transportation Museum. It may even make a few more trips to DC and back for military public relations? The car's drumhead is currently displaying US Army Transportation Corp "Spearhead of Logistics" logo.

#16 Amtrk1954

Amtrk1954

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

*** NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS OVER 2 1/2 YEARS OLD ***

Anderson, I am a newbie and just saw your post. It recently left Fort Eustis headed up North. If or when I hear it is returning I will post so you will know and maybe get your picture.

Edited by the_traveler, 29 October 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#17 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,663 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Anderson, I am a newbie and just saw your post. It recently left Fort Eustis headed up North. If or when I hear it is returning I will post so you will know and maybe get your picture.

Thank you very much; I'd be much obliged.  I actually passed it going into Ft. Eustis once (I was accompanying a friend on a shopping trip onto the base), which was really neat to see.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#18 Guest_Jeff Hooten_*

Guest_Jeff Hooten_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

This evening, Monday, October 28th, I saw the train car Inspection Car Navy 118 parked at Boston South Station at approximately 6:00 P.M.  A man (did not get his name) on board invited me into the car and allowed me to photograph the car's interior. All I can say is Wow!

And thank you to whomever it was who invited me to come on board.

#19 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,347 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

It arrived on the rear of #66 that morning. I was on #66, just a few feet in front of it in BC in the next car forward. I saw it as I boarded in WAS the evening before.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#20 Guest_c:\hris_*

Guest_c:\hris_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Its still sitting at south station on track my commuter rail train was on. At first I thought it was part of the train I board home:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users