10 replies to this topic

#1 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Orlando is one of the two Amtrak stops (Kissimmee is the other stop) that serve tourists going to Disney World.

The Orlando station is located a couple of miles south of downtown near Orlando Regional Medical Center. The area around the station is fairly industrial, but there are a few places to eat across the street. There is usually a hot dog vendor right outside the station and there are vending machines inside the station.

The station is airconditioned (a necessity in Florida) and is fairly comfortable. I have never been there and not been able to find a seat. Since a lot of the passengers travel with children, the noise level is usually pretty high and it can be a bit chaotic.

There are bus stops in front of the train station. To get to downtown Orlando, one should take the bus that stops across the street from the station. It runs once an hour. The final stop on that northbound route is the bus terminal. One can transfer to another bus to get to Disney, Sea World and surrounding hotels (or many other places in the area).

There are usually plenty of taxis and vans at the station. There is also a Hertz counter inside the station, but I believe arrangements must be made in advance for rental cars. There is an Enterprise agency in downtown Orlando on East Colonial Drive (walking distance from my condo) that is open Monday through Friday. I have heard that they will pick passengers up at the train station and drive them to the downtown office to pick up the cars.

Four trains come through Orlando daily, the southbound Silver Star (91) before noon, the southbound Silver Meteor (97) a little after noon; the nortbound Silver Meteor (98) around 1:45pm; and the northbound Silver Star (92) around 7pm. If the trains are running on time, sleeping car passengers will get lunch on 97 and 98 and dinner on 92.

I am pretty sure most people know about the tourist attactions in Orlando: Disney World, Sea World, Universal Studios, Wet and Wild, Kennedy Space Center (an hour away). Legoland is expected to open later this year in Winter Haven, the former location of Cypress Gardens. There are a slew of outlet malls in Orlando also. :(

There is a zoo in Sanford (home of the southern terminus of the Auto Train). There is a science museum and an art museum in Orlando and there are museums in Winter Park.

There are plenty of state parks around Orlando. Also, there are other activities in the general area: riding on an airboat; skydiving in DeLand; St. Johns River Boat Cruise; Daytona Beach; Silver Springs near Ocala

Amtrak miles: 199,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean.

#2 had8ley

had8ley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts
  • Interests:"There's nothin' nicer than "dinner In the diner." After 30 plus years of pulling cabooses and pax trains around it's time for someone else to pull me around...

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Penny~ aren't there Thruway connections behind the depot in Orlando? I might hjave been hung over but I was pretty sure I was in Orlando...

#3 AC4400

AC4400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Train watching, Train riding

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'd sit in the Orlando station and watch the passing CSX and Florida Central Railroad freight trains!

Southwest Chief (3), Empire Builder (7/8), Coast Starlight (11/14), Silver Star (91/92), Silver Meteor (97/98), Northeast Regional (143/176), Cascades (500/501/504/506/507/508/509/510/513/516/517), San Joaquins (703)
1468, 4419, 4429, 4449, 4471, 4496, 6427/8, 6437/8, 6451, 6453/4, 6461/2, 6464, 6465, C2013, C2226, D8, D11, K102, N205, N212, T2, T15, T76, T103/4, T109/10, T231/2, T281, T511, T518, Y509, Y584, Z21

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,305 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Penny~ aren't there Thruway connections behind the depot in Orlando? I might hjave been hung over but I was pretty sure I was in Orlando...

Might have been??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Were you actually in Florida Jay??? ^_^

(Isnt that where you do the bustitution to St. Petersburg??)

Edited by jimhudson, 03 August 2011 - 10:11 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 AlanB

AlanB

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,334 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

Only Thruway connection that I know about was a bus run by Coach USA for a few years that would take people from ORL over to the various Disney & I-Drive hotels. I think that lasted maybe 4 or 5 years and was discontinued at least 3 or 4 years ago. It loaded in front of the station.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#6 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Might have been??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Were you actually in Florida Jay??? ^_^

(Isnt that where you do the bustitution to St. Petersburg??)

Yes, Lakeland, Tampa, St Pete, Bradenton, Sarasota, Port Charlotte & Ft Myers.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#7 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Jay, you might have been hung over, but you actually may have seen thruway buses. :wacko:

There are thruway busses to the cities mentioned by Rail Freak to connect the Silver Meteor with the west coast of Florida. I would not say that they are behind the depot. I would say that they are located in the northern section of the parking lot.

Alan, now there is a van service that is somehow/somewhat affiliated with Amtrak that will transport passengers to hotels, etc. Unlike the taxi cabs, who have to wait on the street, the vans (I believe it is Florida Van Pool - but do not quote me) are permitted to park and wait for passengers in the Amtrak parking lot (using the spot(s) closest to the station). I took a van the 3 miles to my home once when there was not a lot tourist demand for the vans, and the fare was much less than a taxi cab.

Amtrak miles: 199,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,406 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

I might hjave been hung over

Might have been??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like Jay still is!Posted Image You better check the stock from J&J's Saloon, Jim!Posted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#9 TampAGS

TampAGS

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

The Orlando station is located a couple of miles south of downtown near Orlando Regional Medical Center. The area around the station is fairly industrial, but there are a few places to eat across the street. There is usually a hot dog vendor right outside the station and there are vending machines inside the station.

I recommend the Jazzy Dog Cafe to anyone visiting the Orlando station. It is a great little eatery, located right across the street from the station parking lot. If you are a Silver Meteor passenger connecting to the Thruway Motorcoach, the cafe has nice, big, self-serve fountain drinks that are nice to bring along for the bus ride. :D

Posted Image

You can see the cafe's location in relation to the station in my video "Meteor-lando II" (at around 4:36). I shot the video one day as I was connecting from Thruway to Silver Meteor (as a follow-up to an earlier video I did called "Meteor-lando").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up6tb79qQbE

Edited by TampAGS, 11 November 2011 - 02:41 PM.

- TampAGS

Posted Image

#10 Guest_alok_*

Guest_alok_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hello, first time poster.

Do the buses from the Orlando Station to Disney Hotels allow bags? We're going to be 3 people and 6 bags hence the question

#11 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

Hello, first time poster.

Do the buses from the Orlando Station to Disney Hotels allow bags? We're going to be 3 people and 6 bags hence the question

In order to take a city bus (Lynx bus) from the ORL station to Disney, you would need to first either have to take a bus (or SunRail if a weekday) to Lynx Central Station.  From there, you would take bus 50 to Lake Buena Vista Hotels, Downtown Disney or Magic Kingdom.  There is no specific area for luggage (no racks), but if there is room on the bus and you do not obstruct the aisle, I assume that you would be permitted to carry your luggage on the bus.  When I ride the bus with luggage, I place my backpack on my lap and my roller bag in front of my seat.  is bus 50's schedule.

There is a private van service that transports passengers from the Amtrak station to Disney hotels.

Here is the schedule for bus 50.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users