wifi on california zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anthony

Has anyone used a t-mobile hot spot or verizon hot spot to get internet access while on the california zephyr travelling from San Fran to Chicago? If so, what is the best service and how effective was it?

Thank you. Your responses will help me know if working on the internet for my job is reliable while on the train.

They work in most areas, but there are plenty of high mountains and tunnels where you will drop.

Forget about 4G in most areas, and Verizon's 3G is slow especially with multiple devices.

Last summer I used verizon prepaid broadband on my netbook when I traveled on the California Zephyr from CHI to SAC. It worked pretty well in most places. The worst coverage I had during the cross country (and back) trip was on the Capitol Limited in PA and Western Maryland IIRC.

Moderator note: reply is to a topic inactive for 16 months:

Here is a summary of where I had internet access via AT&T on the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. I started tracking it from eastern Iowa border. I did have good success through much of Illinois.

Border of Iowa to omaha almost nothing

80 miles North East of Denver good

Denver to about 25 west good

Spotty from 25 west of Denver to winter park

Winter park to Granby almost nothing

Granby to 10 miles outside Glenwood springs nothing

Glenwood springs to Rifle good

Rifle to Grand Junction service real good until abrupt stop 20 East of Clifton.

Service resumed 5 miles easy of Palisade. Good to 20 miles west of Grand Junction

From the i70 and route 6 intersection service is very good until 30 mikes west of Green Valley, UT

Good 20 mikes from Price, UT

Winnemuca, NV to just NE of Fallon, NV good

Abeam Fallon to Reno good

Reno to Trukee, CA good

Trukee to 50 miles from Colfax good

Service again from Dutch flats to Colfax low signal but there

Colfax to Sacramento. Spotty until Applegate then solid and good to Sacramento

Sacramento to Bay Area - Good Coverage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back