Quantcast

wifi on california zephyr

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Has anyone used a t-mobile hot spot or verizon hot spot to get internet access while on the california zephyr travelling from San Fran to Chicago? If so, what is the best service and how effective was it?

Thank you. Your responses will help me know if working on the internet for my job is reliable while on the train.

#2 ALC Rail Writer

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

They work in most areas, but there are plenty of high mountains and tunnels where you will drop.

Forget about 4G in most areas, and Verizon's 3G is slow especially with multiple devices.

Amtrak Routes Travelled: Capitol Limited (x12s), Northeast Regional (x10), Pennsylvanian (x10), Empire Builder (x6), Cascades (x4), Empire Service (2), Acela Express (3), New Haven Shuttle (2), Vermonter (1), Lake Shore Limited (x3), Lincoln Service (3), Coast Starlight (x2), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Corridor(1), Southwest Chief (1), Missouri River Runner (1), Downeaster (2), Crescent (2)
Amtrak Rail Miles: 34,568

My most recent Amtrak trip report!

All Aboard Ohio - Advocacy group for intercity travel in Ohio

#3 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

Last summer I used verizon prepaid broadband on my netbook when I traveled on the California Zephyr from CHI to SAC. It worked pretty well in most places. The worst coverage I had during the cross country (and back) trip was on the Capitol Limited in PA and Western Maryland IIRC.

Amtrak miles: 125,527; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle (CHI-STL), Missouri River Runner, Acela Express (FC), Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service.   VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean (eastbound/westbound).

#4 Guest_Mike Shiflett_*

Guest_Mike Shiflett_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Moderator note: reply is to a topic inactive for 16 months:

Here is a summary of where I had internet access via AT&T on the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. I started tracking it from eastern Iowa border. I did have good success through much of Illinois.

Border of Iowa to omaha almost nothing
80 miles North East of Denver good
Denver to about 25 west good
Spotty from 25 west of Denver to winter park
Winter park to Granby almost nothing
Granby to 10 miles outside Glenwood springs nothing
Glenwood springs to Rifle good
Rifle to Grand Junction service real good until abrupt stop 20 East of Clifton.
Service resumed 5 miles easy of Palisade. Good to 20 miles west of Grand Junction
From the i70 and route 6 intersection service is very good until 30 mikes west of Green Valley, UT
Good 20 mikes from Price, UT
Winnemuca, NV to just NE of Fallon, NV good
Abeam Fallon to Reno good
Reno to Trukee, CA good
Trukee to 50 miles from Colfax good
Service again from Dutch flats to Colfax low signal but there
Colfax to Sacramento. Spotty until Applegate then solid and good to Sacramento
Sacramento to Bay Area - Good Coverage

Edited by PRR 60, 03 September 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users