25 replies to this topic

#21 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Never heard of it... I've heard of the Market Frankfort EL and the Subway Surface Trolleys. But never "the market street trolley subway"

That's not how anyone in Philadelphia would refer to it, but that's a good general description of it -- a subway under Market Street through which trolleys travel.

As a Philadelphian trust me.. That's what it is. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#22 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:19 AM

Never heard of it... I've heard of the Market Frankfort EL and the Subway Surface Trolleys. But never "the market street trolley subway"

That's not how anyone in Philadelphia would refer to it, but that's a good general description of it -- a subway under Market Street through which trolleys travel.

As a Philadelphian trust me.. That's what it is. 

Sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes. I was writing from memory and got the name wrong. No offence intended.

#23 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the incredible information from all y'all (that's all youse guys for those of you North of DC).

I was quite confused for a minute or two - the map for #15 shows two Girard stations, but I think I figured it all out. I think it may be enjoyable to take the #10 from 30th St to Lancaster then the #15, cross the river, go to Girard station, then take the MFL back to 8th & Market. From there, walk the touristy stuff from there to Macy's to City Hall, then hop back on to the MFL to 30th.

Do any of the suburban trolley lines (101, 102) carry any interesting sight seeing?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#24 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

VentureForth--just a couple of other tips:

If you get off at 8th and Market, to get to the historic district, walk two blocks to 6th and Market. Walking down 6th street, you will be walking along the historic area. Also, City Hall does timed tours and a security check if you want to go to the top, and the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are federal, so they do a security check also. If you are pressed for time, it might be best to choose just one of the three. (I would suggest Independence Hall--you can pretty much see the Philly skyline from Amtrak, and if you walk down 6th Street, you can see the Liberty Bell through the glass at the end of its building.)

If you are coming into 30th Street on Amtrak, the Travelers Aid booth can give you a nice map of the city. I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the trolleys (just SEPTA and the buses), but the Independence Pass suggested elsewhere is wonderful and could help save time. (You could take it back along Market Street to City Hall, for example, and save the time that walk would take.) Also, if you end up in Market East station for any reason, remember that it is now called Jefferson Station.

Finally, one more suggestion: come back again and stay longer! Philly is a nice day trip from where I live, and I never get tired of it!

#25 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

VentureForth--just a couple of other tips:

If you get off at 8th and Market, to get to the historic district, walk two blocks to 6th and Market. Walking down 6th street, you will be walking along the historic area. Also, City Hall does timed tours and a security check if you want to go to the top, and the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are federal, so they do a security check also. If you are pressed for time, it might be best to choose just one of the three. (I would suggest Independence Hall--you can pretty much see the Philly skyline from Amtrak, and if you walk down 6th Street, you can see the Liberty Bell through the glass at the end of its building.)

If you are coming into 30th Street on Amtrak, the Travelers Aid booth can give you a nice map of the city. I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the trolleys (just SEPTA and the buses), but the Independence Pass suggested elsewhere is wonderful and could help save time. (You could take it back along Market Street to City Hall, for example, and save the time that walk would take.) Also, if you end up in Market East station for any reason, remember that it is now called Jefferson Station.

Finally, one more suggestion: come back again and stay longer! Philly is a nice day trip from where I live, and I never get tired of it!

If one gets off the El at 5th and market their at Independence Hall etc. Less of a walk. I'm not a fan of that Travelers Aid.. Their is sometimes an elderly gentleman who wants nothing to do with anyone. Also they point to the sign that states where the restrooms are. That "Jefferson Station" thing is a marketing ploy.. It's always Market East to anyone. Who wants to call it Jefferson after the Hospital? 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#26 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Update on seeing the Liberty Bell from the outside: I was in Philly today and walked down 6th Street to the end of the building it's in, but they now have a guard posted there, with everyone exiting, and it's not possible to get a look at the bell. However, if you walk around that end to the other side of the building, they have set it up so you can see the bell from the outside, with buttons to push on the wall for a description in various languages. It says this is for visitors who are there when the building is closed, but of course you can look inside at any time, and a lot of people were doing just that today.

Of course, it may have always been set up this way and I just remembered it differently, but this is the latest setup as of today.

I also found a lovely set of small garden spaces with benches that run from Market Street up 5th Street, parallel to the building with the bell--it seemed to be a favorite with local people and the tourists who had found it--a good space to sit in if it's hot and you want shade and to just rest from being a tourist for a few minutes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users