25 replies to this topic

#1 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Philadelphia has plenty to offer! We offer Independence Hall, The Constitution Center, The First Post Office (which is still functional today!), Reading Terminal Market which is a place that offers plenty of food and treats and some Amish food to (Certain days of the week though)!, The fire museum is something to see too. The Penn Museum in University City is one of the better things to see in University City. If your looking for night life then IMO head to the Fairmont section of the city always good bars there and the cabs are frequent there. Also in Fairmont at 22nd and Fairmont is The Eastern State Penitentiary. If you visit during Halloween time they have ghost tours! 30th Street Station where you arrive by Amtrak is one of Amtrak's better stations! A decent food court and you can listen to the boarding announcer's call out trains while you wait. Overall Visit Philly! If you want a decent adventure and have money to spare on a rental car head to the Jersey Shore! Ocean City is my favorite place to hang! Wildwood has rides! Cape May has nice restaurants! The ride to the shore can be about an hour to an hour and a half and does have tolls! Overall there's plenty to do in Philly!
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#2 jb64

jb64

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Basset Rescue, Hiking in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park, baseball, and lots of other things.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

took my daughter to the zoo many years ago by city bus from Society Hill. It was easy and the zoo was great. Also took the water taxi across to Camden NJ to the aquarium and had a great time there too. Of course this was many years ago, I hope they are still nice destinations. Ate at Bookbinders, too, which I believe has since closed.

#3 stlouielady

stlouielady

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

I spent a couple of days in Philadelphia in late February/early March, and the aquarium indeed was still there, although limited hours in the 'winter season'. Most of the tourist places close by 5 until the first of March, so that may factor into visits there. I did the numerous tourist things, and I spent the money on a shuttle tour of the city (unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shuttle company); they have a booth in the Independendence Visitors Center. The tour is a hop on/hop off type deal, and makes something like 20-25 stops around the city, even out to see the 'rocky' statue! I'm sure someone will be able to provide the name of the shuttle company before I'm able to find it upstairs myself. If not, once I get it, I'll add it to the post.
Michele

#4 GG-1

GG-1

Engineer

• Honored Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts
  • Interests:PRR GG1 and riding the rails to "see the USA in your Chev".....Train

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Aloha

Macy's, former Wanamaker store has an increadable pipe organ in it's great hall that is played on a regular bases. This was used in the film

Mannequin

GG-1, Aloha, Mahalo = Thanks
http://gg-1.smugmug.com/'>Picture Galleries

Posted Image

#5 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

The pipe organ in Macy's is outstanding. My Mom could stand in Macy's for a whole day listening to it. :giggle: There is an Eagle in that Great Hall and there is a Phrase "Meet me at the Eagle" that used to be tossed around. Also should be noted that during Christmas time there is a light show that can been seen I believe every hour on the hour that lasts about 20 minutes that is great! I see it every year! Well worth it! Make a trip to Macy's at City Hall!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#6 Moses

Moses

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Computers

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

Just recently took a trip to Philadelphia and took SEPTA and NJ Transit back to New York Penn Station. For 17.00 one way It was not that bad.

Inside SEPTA Train - Posted Image
inside SEPTA TRAIN by squirrel83, on Flickr

I clocked the NJT train speed - Posted Image
NJ Transit Train SPeed Screenshot by squirrel83, on Flickr

Philadelphia Amtrak Station Photo -

Posted Image
Spirit of Transportation by squirrel83, on Flickr

Posted Image
Philadelphia Amtrak Information by squirrel83, on Flickr

Here is a link to some photos Philadelphia Flickr Album

Edited by Moses, 14 September 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

For 17.00 one way It was not that bad.

I would still ride Amtrak low bucket at $36. It's just the level of comfort and I would receive AGR points for it. It's just my preference.

Went through your Flickr stream.. How much of that did you walk?? :help: :ohboy:

Edited by Acela150, 15 September 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#8 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

I'm fixin' to take my fam to PHL in March. Will try to make the requisite Independence Hall, City Hall, Liberty Bell, Macy's visit. If time permits, I would like to take a scenic, safe and fun PCC streetcar ride. We'll be coming in around 10 AM and leaving around 7 PM so we'll be pressed for time. Any suggestions?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#9 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

Buy a Septa FAMILY independence pass. Unlimited rides. The PCC's run on the Route 15. Best way there from PHL is the "El" to Girard and hop on the 15. The "El" will also take you to 5th and Market which is where you can get off and see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, etc. 15th is for City Hall. 

#10 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:16 AM

For the transit oriented, Philly also has much to offer. The Market Street trolley subway is one of the oldest of its kind in the world.

It has four tracks with the the trolleys running on the outer tracks and serving all stops, whereas the inner tracks are used by express trains of the Market Frankford line.

The trolley lines fan out in the west and serve different destinations. I have't managed to do all those routes yet and plan to come back in the future.

Of course the number 15 streetcar with its refurbished PCCs along Girard is also worth doing.

Some of the neighborhoods served looked a bit dodgy to me so I didn't tgake any risks and stuck to the trolleys, but other areas were quite pleasant and I walked around a bit and took photos.

#11 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

For the transit oriented, Philly also has much to offer. The Market Street trolley subway is one of the oldest of its kind in the world.

It has four tracks with the the trolleys running on the outer tracks and serving all stops, whereas the inner tracks are used by express trains of the Market Frankford line.

The trolley lines fan out in the west and serve different destinations. I have't managed to do all those routes yet and plan to come back in the future.

Of course the number 15 streetcar with its refurbished PCCs along Girard is also worth doing.

Some of the neighborhoods served looked a bit dodgy to me so I didn't tgake any risks and stuck to the trolleys, but other areas were quite pleasant and I walked around a bit and took photos.

080517.65.jpg

080517.30.jpg

080517.42.jpg

080517.51.jpg

080517.53.jpg

#12 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

The Market Street trolley subway 

Never heard of it... I've heard of the Market Frankfort EL and the Subway Surface Trolleys. But never "the market street trolley subway" 

#13 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Never heard of it... I've heard of the Market Frankfort EL and the Subway Surface Trolleys. But never "the market street trolley subway"

That's not how anyone in Philadelphia would refer to it, but that's a good general description of it -- a subway under Market Street through which trolleys travel.

#14 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,755 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

From the name of a city in Asia Minor mentioned in Revelation in the New Testament. The name of the city meant "brotherly love" from Greekφιλεω (phileo) "to love" and αδελφος (adelphos) "brother". It is also the name of a city in the United States.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#15 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Go in July 2016 and you can experience the Democratic Party presidential convention.

#16 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,755 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

Go in July 2016 and you can experience the Democratic Party presidential convention.

I live south of Philly and am already wondering where I can go to escape all the hoopla in 2016.

2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

#17 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

Come On Down!!!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#18 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,755 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

Come On Down!!!!!

In July?  No way!!!!  :lol:

#19 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,223 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

Cleveland is having the Repubs the week before the Dems Philly Fest so you might want to avoid both the last two weeks of July!

I rememember what a mess it was in 2004 in NYC when the Repub Convention was held @ MSG/NYP!!!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#20 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,223 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

Come On Down!!!!!

In July?  No way!!!!  :lol:

Go North to New England or Canada in July and August! Pretty nice up there then!😉

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users