Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Washington, D.C

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 flying_babyb

flying_babyb

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:travel, teaching, frugal living, pets

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

is there a mall in the friendship heights station or near it? my little sis swears thats  where we were

#42 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

is there a mall in the friendship heights station or near it? my little sis swears thats  where we were

Check out the reviews here.  I see a mention of a shopping center, Mazza Gallerie

#43 flying_babyb

flying_babyb

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:35 AM

ok quick stupid queston: every year on vacation we do some sort of diy thing for a souviner. We painted pottery, made build a bears, built sand castles, made braclets and sea shell jewerly.

The kids are now teens (16, 15) and we want to do something like this in dc. Any suggestions? So there not girly girls, are into music and nightmare before Christmas and funko

Also the 16 year old would like to know how likey she is to find a single stall bathroom. She dresses and acts male, and dosn't like using the ladies room.

#44 flying_babyb

flying_babyb

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

so were going to be staying in silver springs. I know that dc only has a build a bear open at game time. I need to know if we can take the dc metro to a build a bear in another city. We are totally willing to walk or take a taxi from the last metro stop if nessacary

#45 tp49

tp49

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:09 AM

There is no Build A Bear easily accessible solely by Metro rail. There is no location in DC proper but there is one in Westfield Montgomery (accessible by bus from Medical Center Red Line station) in Bethesda, Maryland. There is another location in Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, Virginia but you'd have to cab it from Vienna station on the Orange Line.

Of the two options I'd probably go to Bethesda check out the mall websites for directions (I think there's a bus from Grosvenor Red Line station which is more time on the bus but a shorter train ride from Silver Spring.)

Edited by tp49, 22 February 2016 - 04:10 AM.

#46 flying_babyb

flying_babyb

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

random question again:

Where is there a ikea I can get to by metro or bus? I need a new set of klas kids plates! On that note: will my dc metro pass work for the busses there?

#47 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,164 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

Best shot of that is College Park. You can take the Green line to Greenbelt, and probably catch a bus from there. If not, it's a really short cab ride.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#48 flying_babyb

flying_babyb

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

Best shot of that is College Park. You can take the Green line to Greenbelt, and probably catch a bus from there. If not, it's a really short cab ride.

how long of a walk would it be from the greenbelt stop? I like to torture the teens (and well I like scenery)

#49 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

how long of a walk would it be from the greenbelt stop? I like to torture the teens (and well I like scenery)

30+ minutes

https://www.google.c...2d39.020775!3e2

#50 Hal

Hal

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

The main scenery is the eight to ten lane Capital Beltway. You would have to walk thru a major, heavily trafficked interchange with Route 1 that has multiple on and off ramps of lanes merging.

#51 Rheavon

Rheavon

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Life, Train Museums, Enjoying Life

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

Does anyone have recommendations (or not-so-recommendations) for on/off tours that stop at the station?  I have about an 8 hour layover and I predict my legs will be screaming after four days at a fitness convention in Orlando, so the on/off tours seem like a good idea.

~Rheavon~

Upcoming Routes: Silver Meteor (ORL-WAS), Capitol Limited (WAS-CHI), Texas Eagle (CHI-STL, STL-AUS)

Past Routes: Northeast Regional (PVD-NYP), Texas Eagle (AUS-STL x3, STL-AUS x3)

#52 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

Can't help with the on/off tours, but I can recommend the DC Circulator bus service, which has routes starting in front of the station, and one from the bus garage at the rear of the station. You can buy a $1 ticket each time you get on, so although there will be no commentary (which some see as a blessing... :D) you can create a self guided tour quite cheaply. If you can't face walking, you can ride the bus route from end to end.

I think there is an all day pass available also, but can't quite remember, it has been a few years.

https://www.tripsavv...tor-bus-1040435

Ed.

#53 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

Does anyone have recommendations (or not-so-recommendations) for on/off tours that stop at the station?  I have about an 8 hour layover and I predict my legs will be screaming after four days at a fitness convention in Orlando, so the on/off tours seem like a good idea.

My wife and I used the Hop On Hop Off service a couple of years ago. She was 5 months into a new hip, used a walker and that worked better for us than trying to use the city bus service considering her mobility situation.

We did use the Metro (subway) to get from our hotel to spots where we could catch the Hop On Hop Off and continue from where we ended the day before. The cost will be more than if you used the DC Circulator (which I did consider) but that is something you will need to evaluate.

Enjoy the visit.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#54 Rheavon

Rheavon

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Life, Train Museums, Enjoying Life

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Hi,

Can't help with the on/off tours, but I can recommend the DC Circulator bus service, which has routes starting in front of the station, and one from the bus garage at the rear of the station. You can buy a $1 ticket each time you get on, so although there will be no commentary (which some see as a blessing... :D) you can create a self guided tour quite cheaply. If you can't face walking, you can ride the bus route from end to end.

I think there is an all day pass available also, but can't quite remember, it has been a few years.

https://www.tripsavv...tor-bus-1040435

Ed.

It looks like they have a section on their website to check up on when the next bus will be at the next stop.  This is definitely promising- especially for the rate (cheaper than a single ride on our local buses)!  I don't need commentary- I just really wanted to make sure that I pay my respects at the Vietnam Memorial and maybe run around a museum or two.  Thank you!

~Rheavon~

Upcoming Routes: Silver Meteor (ORL-WAS), Capitol Limited (WAS-CHI), Texas Eagle (CHI-STL, STL-AUS)

Past Routes: Northeast Regional (PVD-NYP), Texas Eagle (AUS-STL x3, STL-AUS x3)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users