Chicago Museum of Science & Industry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I hadn't been to the Museum of S & I in Chicago for probably 25 years. I remember as a kid going and standing for what seemed like hours to watch the model trains. I had heard they re-did it some years ago and updated it. If you like model trains and haven't seen this one, it is worth the trip. It depicts the Empire Builder Route between Chicago and Seattle. The display fills an entire wing on the first floor. I attach a few pictures to give you a taste of what it is all about.

forum01.jpg

The above was taken from the mezzanine and is only a small part of the entire display.

The following are some closer views of our favorite railroad.

forum02.jpg

forum03.jpg

forum04.jpg

Tom

Thank you MrFSS

I enjoyed the pictures, and did not know the place existed. I plan on going up their next fall I will make it one of my places to visit. I`m sure my grandson will enjoy it.

444 Marlin

I forgot to add, what all scales do they have? The pictures you were showing, are they 0 gage?

thanks

444 Marlin

This is truely a great museum. I have been there before. The Zypher is a beautiful locomtive. I am waiting for them to get the Submarine back on display before I go again. The layout looks wonderful. Don't they have a large Santa Fe layout there also?

Don't they have a large Santa Fe layout there also?
The old "O" guage layout that was there for years was replaced by this new "HO" setup. If you don't mind some family pictures, all my Museum pictures are here.

They show some more of the layout and the Burlington train they have that has been fully restored.

Tom

That complete route of the EB etc is beyond fantastic. I did not know there was anything that realistic in the model world.

It would be a worth a trip to CHI just to see it.

May I assume, after going to all that trouble, that the equipment is completely accurate, number of coaches, sleepers, etc.

May I assume, after going to all that trouble, that the equipment is completely accurate, number of coaches, sleepers, etc.
Pretty accurate, Bill. I was with a group of friends and didn't have the time I wanted to photo more. It is worth the trip to see it if you are in Chicago. There is a Metra train that stops a few blocks from the place, too.

The Zephyr is neat. It even "moves" as if it were moving down the track at 100 mph.

As you can see from my pictures earlier in this topic, there is a photo of the front part of the Builder.

Tom

Nice pictures - I'll have to make a point of going to the museum when I visit Chicago.

deimos said:
Nice pictures - I'll have to make a point of going to the museum when I visit Chicago.
Aloha

Hope I don'n make enemy's but anyone, with time in Chicago that doesn't visit that museum is a fool!

I first went there in 1976 and then in 2001, What a great place I hope I get back there again.

Another Museum, I would recomend as strogly, is the Ben Franklyn Museum in Philadelphia. The Lightning exibit from 40 years ago is still in my Mind. Then theres the Huge Steam engine you get to run (about 10 feet), What a place!

GG-1

I understand your point:) I have only been to Chicago once before and then only for less than a day. I'm planning to visit again later this month and have been trying to figure out a schedule of things I can do in the few days that I am there. In any event - the museum is definitely on my schedule now!

I did checkout the Ben Franklin Institute when I visited Philadelphia last year. In fact, the Titanic exhibit was there at the time. For refernce, the BFI is a relatively short walk from 30th Street Station.

I don't know where the Titanic exhibit is at this time, but I highly recommend seeing it.

Deimos

I remember the train exhibit as a child. I'll be returning to Chicago in April and the Museum is on the top of my list. We never went down into the coal mine due to the size of the lines. This time I am going. It's been over 50 years.

I would not say that it is entirely accurante. The triple track main line through the mountains did not look to realistic to me. But other parts were ptretty good. Seattle was cool, as well as Chicgo.

Back