Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Longest Commuter Rail Trip?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,944 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

Well there are 2 ways to look at it. I think Penn Station To Montauk is the longest single seat ride on a commuter railroad.

There is no one seat ride from Penn Station to Montauk. You have to change in Jamaica or Babylon.

#22 johnny.menhennet

johnny.menhennet

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:taekwondo, geography, current events, speech and debate, TRAINS

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

I think I once posted a similar question: What is the longest trip one can take by train in the U.S. without using Amtrak?

I think I confined the trip to the Lower 48.

Well there are 2 ways to look at it. I think Penn Station To Montauk is the longest single seat ride on a commuter railroad. I understand although its not convenient one could go from LA to San Diego by taking Metrolink from LA to Oceanside then transfer to a Coaster train from Oceanside to San Diego although from what I've heard the schedules don't exactly work out. Once in San Diego you can catch the light rail right from the station and ride the blue line right to the Mexican border.

EDIT I guess if you really wanted the full experince you could start in Oxnard and ride the Ventura county line into LA Union station. That would be a quite a long ride.

the mileage from OXN to SAN is 205

From San Diego take the Coaster to Oceanside. From Oceanside take the Metrolink OC Line to LA Union Station, then take Ventura County Line, OR from Oceanside take the Orange County Inland Empire line to San Bernardino.

I think the longest single seat ride in SoCal is the end-to-end L.A. Union Station to Lancaster, often put on the schedule at over 2 1/2 hours.

Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (100000000000), Southwest Chief (5), California Zephyr (1), Coast Starlight (6), Capitol Corridor (1), Empire Builder (2), Acela Express (1), LSL (1), NE Regional (2)
Non-Amtrak: NCTD Coaster (at least 20), Metrolink (4), SD Trolley (at least 20), LACMTA Red Line (at least 50), Seattle Streetcar (1), Chicago 'L' (probably 13), NYC Subway (probably 15), WMATA Mass Transit (probably 20), LIRR (1), Las Vegas Monorail (at least 12), MBTA Mass Transit (16), NJ Transit commuter rail (3), I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now

upcoming Amtrak: Pacific Surfliner (10000000000 more)
upcoming non-Amtrak: Coaster, Red Line/Expo Line in LA, NJ Transit (5-10)

Pretty good for a 16 year old :)

#23 Shawn Ryu

Shawn Ryu

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Interests:trains baseball hockey

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:47 AM

Metrolink line to and from Oceanside sucks because of the schedule which is severely limited. I think thats because of Amtrak Pacific Surfliner which serves most stations on the route., and pretty much all the stations on the Ventura County Line.

#24 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

The Port Jervis line is 95 miles.

#25 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

What a wonderful thread! I had been wondering the same thing, just in case Amtrak tanks completely at some point and only commuter rail is left. I had figured out the New London to Newark, DE, part, but not much else. Thank you all--I hope there are more posts with other connections we haven't thought of yet.

I suppose the most difficult part for the east coast would be trying to get from VIrginia down to Florida--don't see much there.

By the way, for connectivity, could we make an exception to commuter rail only and include ferries if they are the only way to get from one commuter rail to another?

#26 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

Once the Hartford Line opens, that will be 43 miles longer than the Shore Line East to New London. Therefore, the longest trip by passenger rail not using Amtrak will soon be Newark, DE to Springfield, MA at about 297 miles. In the Midwest, the longest is Harvard, IL to South Bend, IN, which is about 154 miles.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#27 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,944 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

Once the Hartford Line opens, that will be 43 miles longer than the Shore Line East to New London. Therefore, the longest trip by passenger rail not using Amtrak will soon be Newark, DE to Springfield, MA at about 297 miles. In the Midwest, the longest is Harvard, IL to South Bend, IN, which is about 154 miles.

It will involve a bit of a Subway ride or walk across New York City however.

#28 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

Pretty much the same for Chicago too.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#29 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Yes, that is why I said passenger rail and not commuter rail. In New York one could take the Shuttle or 7 to Times Square and transfer to the 1,2,3,A,C, or E. In Chicago, it would be a direct ride on the Green Line although a short walk would be required on each end.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#30 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Yes, that is why I said passenger rail and not commuter rail. In New York one could take the Shuttle or 7 to Times Square and transfer to the 1,2,3,A,C, or E. In Chicago, it would be a direct ride on the Green Line although a short walk would be required on each end.

A bit less direct than it used to be though... (stations combined eliminating no street crossing to Randolph Street - though I can't remember if you had to exit to the west side of Wabash anyways south/east bound)

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#31 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Randolph/Wabash allowed crossing the street on the mezzanine level.

Posted Image

#32 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

Randolph/Wabash allowed crossing the street on the mezzanine level.

Thanks,  I rarely ever used it and couldn't remember.

#33 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

Another long commuter rail trip not mentioned on this thread would be ACE from Stockton to Santa Clara (83 miles), then Caltrain from Santa Clara to San Francisco (44 miles) for a respectable 127 miles.

In San Francisco you could connect to MUNI/BART to add some additional mileage, though the farthest points of the BART system would practically send you in a loop back towards where you came from, so that probably wouldn't count.

#34 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

One train trip on the NM RailRunner between Santa Fe and Belen, NM is about 95 miles. $10 for adults and $5 for seniors! Free for disabled vets.

#35 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

One train trip on the NM RailRunner between Santa Fe and Belen, NM is about 95 miles. $10 for adults and $5 for seniors! Free for disabled vets.

Done that! Esp. with beep beep noise when the doors are closing. You'll gain nearly 1,890 feet from Albuquerque to Santa Fe.
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#36 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

The Cannonball does NYP to Montauk which is close to 120 miles in just over 90 minutes. It goes out Friday and back Sunday, summer season only. Half the time of the normal connecting train schedule. They take seat reservations for 3 cars at a premium price 9 reg cars. Very popular

#37 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,944 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

The Cannonball does NYP to Montauk which is close to 120 miles in just over 90 minutes. It goes out Friday and back Sunday, summer season only. Half the time of the normal connecting train schedule. They take seat reservations for 3 cars at a premium price 9 reg cars. Very popular

Are you sure that it is not 150 minutes instead of 90 mins? I think LIRR may be astounded to learn that they operate a train at a start to stop average speed that is the same as their maximum allowed speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
  • Seaboard92 likes this

#38 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:41 PM

The longest line in the Boston area is the Fitchburg line. 

#39 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

From the LIRR bulletin.

Cannonball East

The Cannonball East departs Penn Station on Fridays at 4:06 p.m. from Penn Station - May 27th through September 2nd and travels non-stop to Westhampton in 95 minutes, also stopping at Southampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton and Montauk. For the July 4th holiday weekend, the Cannonball East departs on Friday July 1. Hamptons Reserve seating is $49.25 one-way. The remaining cars are filled on a first come, first-served basis priced at the regular one-way peak fare of $28.25

Even if I shave the trip to 100 miles to WestHampton in 95, that is pretty fast for LIRR. Wouldn't bet on it being on time too often.....It is unique in that it doesn't stop in any of the places like Woodside or Jamaica or Hicksville.....

Edited by PVD, 15 April 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#40 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Done that! Esp. with beep beep noise when the doors are closing. You'll gain nearly 1,890 feet from Albuquerque to Santa Fe.

Despite several trips to Albuquerque over the years, I have yet to do this. It's still on my bucket list. :)

I've been to Santa Fe a couple of times (beautiful town), but we drove.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users