Kind of train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee01

I forgot again what kind of a train the Cardinal is? I know one on wheels. haha I mean superliner or what?

Guest_Gingee01 said:
I forgot again what kind of a train the Cardinal is?  I know one on wheels.  haha  I mean superliner or what?
It's a single level train, which makes it a combination of Amfleet coaches & a cafe, along with a Viewliner sleeper.

It's not a Superliner train.

Okay then I guess I shouldn't click on a certain type of picture and figure out that is what we will be sitting in?

If you're riding Coach, then you'll be in an Amfleet car. So if you can find a picture of an Amfleet coach, that should do it.

I did find a picture and I don't see how the suitcase space is very big but then again it is hard to see it in the picture.

Here's a photo of the inside of an Amfleet II coach. My thanks to Viewliner who actually took this photo and placed it on his website. You can find more photos at his site, located here.

abr25023interior.jpg

Thanks. I will check it out. I may have seen it before but it will refresh my memory if I have seen it.

There might be a little bit of luggage space at the end of the car (technically in the reserved "disabled" space, but usually that empty area can be used for luggage storage). I can't remember offhand whether or not Amfleet IIs have luggage racks at the ends of the cars or not.

Gingee,

My wife and I will be boarding the Cardinal this afternoon (3:50 p.m.- Charlotteville to Chicago). We will be in the sleeper, but my sister-in-law is accompanying us as far as Prince WV and has a reserved coach ticket. I am hoping to see the inside of a Amfleet II car in person. While the pictures on the web are good, there is nothing like the real thing.

I will try to arrange for my sister-in-law to ride in the bedroom with us. She has never seen the inside of a sleeper car. Maybe the crew will allow her to board the car with us rather than make her go to the coach.

As of right now it is running a minute late heading to Philadelphia from NY.

If it keeps on schedule we should make Chicago in plenty of time to board the Empire Builder for Portland.

When do you plan to take the Cardinal and between what points?

Gingee,

What is deceiving in the photo is that the ceilings at the ends of the Amfleet car are recessed several inches than in the center of the car. Therefore, it makes the overhead luggage space look smaller. As within Amtrak requirements, a bag no larger than 28 x 22 x 14 should fit in the overhead. For more on Amtrak baggage guidelines click here.

rmadisonwi said:
There might be a little bit of luggage space at the end of the car (technically in the reserved "disabled" space, but usually that empty area can be used for luggage storage). I can't remember offhand whether or not Amfleet IIs have luggage racks at the ends of the cars or not.
Yes they do Mr. Madison in the Concept 2000 ones. Note I have been in one on the International.

To Southern - we leave on a bus from Peoria, IL to Indy this Thursday night. Should arrive Indy around ll:30 or l2:30 p.m. (will have to check my ticket). Then we go on the train to NYC arriving around ll:30 p.m. Friday night.

I have hoping there are seats either in the very beginning of the coach or the end but I bet everyone else will want the same thing.

By the way, does anyone know if those trains are usually cold or warm? Trying to decide what to wear.

Why do you hope to get those seats? My personal preference is something in the middle of the car.......away from the bathrooms, if you get my drift. :lol:

Agreed. Plus you also get more hot or cold air, depending on the weather outside, when you're near the end of the car. Everytime the door opens, you get a blast of the outside air.

I was thinking that in the beginning of the coach there might be more leg room and in the back more room to recline your seat?

The first row might have more leg room, but they have no table trays.

Back row won't recline any further than any other row. The chairs don't permit it.

If at all possible dont get the first rom of seats in amfleet II's. There is no window view at all, and you lack a tray table.

Good idea on the first seat.

I was trying to think of leg room - not a tray table.

Any idea where the outlets are located?

Guest_Gingee01 said:
Any idea where the outlets are located?
If you're lucky, every seat. If not, then there are two per car, hidden away off to the side about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way back from either end. It's hard to say, and it depends on whether the car has been refurbished recently or not.

Back