Chicago Union Station parking garage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I will be taking the California Zephyr on my vacation to and from Emeryville in late September. I was wondering if any member could give me any insight on long term parking at the Union Station parking garage in Chicago? (security, availability, costs etc...) I live in Northwest Indiana and I was considering the convenience of having transportation handy upon my arrival back to Chicago. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is a parking garage located just south of Union station which has an underground connection to the station. It cost 22 dollars a day to park there. You can use a credit card to pay. You can enter from Canal or Clinton.

I have parked there numerous times without a problem. However, on one occasion, my car was broken into and my aftermarket Ipod car radio was stolen as well as a GPS. The dashboard was damaged too. I know I left things in sight because I was traveling with others, and was distracted. I suspect I also left the car unlocked. Two things that would make the car an easy target, The garage people, needless to say were not concerned.

So if you park there, put valuables in the trunk, and make sure you lock it. You will probably be ok.

Chicago traffic is very unpredictable. Allow plenty of time. I would advise trying to arrive by noon or earlier. If traffic is really backed up on the Dan Ryan, you can get off at 22nd street or Canalport and make your way to the station on surface streets. If you are interested in doing this, check out a map before you go.

Consider riding the train from SouthBend or skipping driving in Chicago totally, Traffic is really bad and Parking is Exspensive and as has been mentiioned not all that safe! You might even want to consider riding Commuter Rail into Chicago if there is a stop with Parking close to where you live! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back