45 replies to this topic

#41 steamtrain6868

steamtrain6868

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

If I recall the Aerotrain ended up in commuter service in Chicago....Perhaps the same thing could happen here.

#42 RyanS

RyanS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Could you please provide some concrete citations on how the new technology improves upon the old (specially in the context of rail applications) and how, for example the issue of efficient operation at low rpm (among other things) is handled in the new technology? I am truly curious since I am always a student, but "trust me I am the expert" is not a satisfactory educational methodology.

I'm still anxiously awaited Vokris' return to enlighten us.

If I recall the Aerotrain ended up in commuter service in Chicago....Perhaps the same thing could happen here.

Perhaps you missed Dutch's post. No way do these tools ever haul a pax in revenue service. It just isn't going to happen.

The Turbo liner cars have a much bigger problem, supersteel took out a large air duct and re-designed the HVAC system , it is way under sized and cars have trouble cooling or heating and can only maintain temperatures in moderate days. To correct the problem it would basicly require another total overhaul of cars down to bare shell.
The cars are also not compliant to FRA buff strenght requirements since they were part of a trainset with powercars.
The chance of seeing these trains or cars operate in US are about slim to non-existent.
They are for sale and will be disposed off, even if its via a scrapper.

TrainSig.jpg

#43 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:44 AM

Why would Metra (or any other commuter railroad) want to operate such equipment?

#44 George Harris

George Harris

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Interests:Track, construction, schedules

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Can we quit beating this dead horse and send the carcass to the glue factory?

It is best to regard the turboliners as a grand experiment from which lessons can be, and hopefully were, learned, but things have moved on to the point that the trainset itself is fit for is a trip to a scrapper, with the possible exception of one to a museum.

Remember, nothing is ever a complete failure. It can always be used as an example of how things should not be done.

#45 VT Hokie

VT Hokie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:08 PM

There is at least one Turbo Train set sitting by the fence at the Bear, DE shops. I saw it about 6 weeks ago when I was down there. I think they are for sale.

Just curious, are they viewable from public property? Just wondering if it might be possible to photograph 'em without tresspassing...

(Looking at the aerial view on bing maps, it looks like the end of Corato Court is as close as you can get to 'em...doesn't look too promising)

Edited by VT Hokie, 03 May 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#46 NE933

NE933

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak as an entity; existential subjects like fate, reason, and truth; various sciences; homosexuality; meditation and recovery; psychology and mental illnesses; spirituality and the supernatural.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

I think it's reasonable to ask that we remember the circumstances for when the Turboliners were ordered. Amtrak needed something sleek and modern looking right away, and it also has to work well. Amfleets had not been delivered or thought of at the time, so the best decision was to look at the catalog books of what other countries are using, buy a few of them, and hope all goes well. Indeed, besides the Chicago to St. Louis route schedule, a Turbo, one of the Rohr models, prominently appeared on the Summer 1983 National Timetable and several brochures and station posters under the banner: "Maybe your next flight should be on a train".

As for riding them, I remember their acceleration su**ed.

So in searching for the Zen in our seeming fascination of the life of the Turbo's, it served a purpose for it's time, and now it's over.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users