motion sickness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

velvetmask

I tend to get motion sickness if I sit in the back seat of a car and can't see out front, and also on boats. I am planning a trip from ABQ to LAX week after next and since I have never been on a train, I'm wondering if i will get motion sickness. :wacko:

I am as you in a car - I have to be up front and looking straight ahead. On cruise ships, when out at sea, I spend a lot time in the bathroom.

But, on an airplane, I usually do well, even with an aisle seat away from the window. How do you do on planes, any problems?

The last high-rise train I rode I was concerned about being up high where the motion would be greater than at a lower level. However, I had no problem at all.

I think if you do well on a plane you'll do OK on a train.

There's plenty of windows to look out, in fact more than in the car.

The SW Chief goes up to 90 mph on most area and some areas are rough. Best location is in middle of car and lower level if your stomach is not cooperating.

To be safe, take some motion sickness pill or patch several hours before boarding on train.

I can't wait to ride on train from Las Vegas, NM to LAX in 3 1/2 weeks!

gswager said:
The SW Chief goes up to 90 mph on most area and some areas are rough. Best location is in middle of car and lower level if your stomach is not cooperating.
I think that most, if not all, of those 90 mph zones have been downgraded to 79 mph.

I think you might be OK if you position yourself in the sightseer car as well as the diner looking forward. Riding backwards seems to have a bad affect on people that have ridden with me.

I never have gotten sick on a plane. I'll keep my fingers crossed and take ya'lls advise. Thanks!

I also get very sick in cars. I regularly ride trains(daily), and have only gotten sick on one twice

When I was employed as a line maintenance aircraft mechanic, I used to store my lunch in an (unused) "puke bag." I never had to worry about any of the other mechanics stealing my lunch.

velvetmask said:
I tend to get motion sickness if I sit in the back seat of a car and can't see out front, and also on boats. I am planning a trip from ABQ to LAX week after next and since I have never been on a train, I'm wondering if i will get motion sickness. :wacko:
If you are traveling in coach, I will suggest you ask your attendant to have you seated within the middle of the car if they are able to accomodate that for you at the time you board. Usually the ride is a little smoother being your not situated right over the wheels. You may need to resort to the lower level of the coach (you will be on a double decker train known as Superliners) if you feel as if you may be getting sick. As another poster indicated, trying taking some "Dramamine" for motion sickness or some other motion sickness pill prior to your trip. Hope your ride will be enjoyable. Let us know here in the forums how it went. OBS.......

Back