Roomette space

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
In a roomette, if the top bunk is left down, is there sufficient headroom space to sit in the seats below? If so, it seems it would be a handy space to store stuff during the day. Or perhaps snooze a bit if one wanted to.....

Yes, there is enough head space to sit, but not enough to stand. In fact, many people traveling alone do just that. And even sleep in the top berth and leave the bottom seats set as seats, so if they want they can sit up and look out the window at night or even work
ohmy.gif
at night!

The upper berth drops down to about the top of the window so, yes there is room to sit. I've seen people do this and, while it turns a cozy space into a much cozier one, you should have no problem. I don't know that you could stand up straight under it, but sitting would be no problem at all. I know I've dropped the upper bed in a bedroom and stretched out while the wife was sitting below and she had no problems.

Possibly, this pic might help. Notice that even with the top bunk down, it is still higher than the headrest.

25p5xrq.jpg

That pic makes the Viewliner Roomette look MASSIVE! Most of my travels involve Superliners; so I was most impressed on my first Viewliner experience with the extra headroom and "storage attic." I'm 6' tall and can easily sit Indian style on the Upper with plenty of room to move around. Makes me wish we could steal a few for the Western trains :)

Most of our traveling is on Superliners and I typically put the bunk half way down.

There are a few head bumps but it works pretty well and frees up space during the day.

I think the Viewliners also have a detent where you can put the bunk part way down.

I think the Viewliners also have a detent where you can put the bunk part way down.
They do indeed. There is a halfway down locking position and then of course a fully up and fully down postion. In fact that halfway down position can very useful in helping to get luggage into the cubby hole over the hallway. One lowers the bed all the way down, places the luggage on the bed, then pushed the bed up to the halfway position. At that point it is much easier to just sort of slide the luggage off the bed, over the gap, and into the cubby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back