Are there storage lockers at LA Union Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were some changes at LAUS. The baggage claim/storage is behind the Subway, which

the_traveler is correct. The rental car booths have been moved to other end of building, where the Amtrak ticket booths are. Besides Subway, new stores are convenience store which mostly sell snacks and drinks (no liquor) which is ideal for coach passengers and pretzel shop.

The last time I was there which was this fall there were storage lockers both in the coach passengers waiting area, and if traveling first class you can have your bags checked at the Metropolitan Lounge. Also there is or was a room of lockers at the top of the ramp that goes to the great hall from the lower level where the tickets are sold.

No. But there is a day baggage storage in the "Baggage Parcel" room on the left side of the waiting area (right side when coming from the trains). I think they charge $3 per bag (exact change only)!
Actually, they will gladly make change unless you give them a $20 at 7 a.m. when they have little or no cash on hand. Exact change is always best but if you have a $5 or $10, I wouldn't go crazy running around getting change first.

The last time I was there which was this fall there were storage lockers both in the coach passengers waiting area, and if traveling first class you can have your bags checked at the Metropolitan Lounge. Also there is or was a room of lockers at the top of the ramp that goes to the great hall from the lower level where the tickets are sold.
Are you sure you're talking about Los Angeles? There is no Metropolitan Lounge and there is no ramp nor great hall nor lower level. I guess you've confused LA with a station on the East Coast?

That sounds like Chicago Union Station, not Los Angeles Union Station.

Wow your right about that one! I can't remember the lockers at LA but I think they had them in that station somewhere?

Wow your right about that one! I can't remember the lockers at LA but I think they had them in that station somewhere?
Nada. I can't even remember LAUS having lockers pre-9-11, tho I'm sure they were there at some point in the past.

I will be in LA next thursday for a seven hour lay over and don't wanna haul my suitcase around while I am doing a little sight seeing. Anyone know for sure about lockers? A bit off topic but if I carry my bag and walk across the street to the park in front of the station from about 8am till 1pm on a weekday would I be pretty safe?

I can guarantee there are no lockers at Los Angeles, but as someone pointed out, you may leave them at bagage claim. I do not recall the fee...but it was a nominal fee.

I will be in LA next thursday for a seven hour lay over and don't wanna haul my suitcase around while I am doing a little sight seeing. Anyone know for sure about lockers? A bit off topic but if I carry my bag and walk across the street to the park in front of the station from about 8am till 1pm on a weekday would I be pretty safe?

Thanks Scott,Traveler mentioned that but I don't recall the area,well it's been a year but I will look into it next week.

There is a baggage area where you can leave your bags. The fee is supposed to be $3.00 each but I left one, walked to the post office to ship my 'dead' laptop back and then went back to the baggage storage area and left my laptop case and he just put it with my other case without charging me again.

If "the park" you are talking about is the area in front of the Mexican Consulate, that whole area was safe enough for me to walk around in during the daytime. I walked across the street, through the Olvera Street area and across the street to the park. It was very interesting and safe enough. As my screen name implies, I am a grandmother.

There are no lockers at LA Union Station, but you can leave bags at the baggage check area for $3.00 per bag per day. I had two bags but the attendant looped the strap on around around the handle on the other one and counted it all as a single bag, so only $3.00 for both.

The baggage check area is well marked and is on the left side as you approach the tunnel to the trains. It is now behind a Subway sandwich shop which just opened.

This information is incorrect. I went to this area and asked to store my bags and the lady said unless I had an Antrak ticket I could not store them for any cost.

That is rubbish. A major city portal and no bag storage. Nice one LA Union Station.

NOTICE: OLD THREAD.

I know this thread is old, but I don't see a reason to start a new one.

I've used the bag room to daycheck a bag before at LA Union Station. But in a few weeks, I'll be taking #2, the Sunset Limited, which leaves at 10:00PM. Does anyone know how late the bag check room is open?

Alternatively, does anyone have a phone number for information at LAUS? The Amtrak website doesn't list one.

Also, as an aside, to reply to Guest_Dom_ (and anyone else with this issue), there's an easy way to get around this. A friend of mine did it last year, in fact. He bought a ticket from LA to Van Nuys. It cost $11. He then day checked his bag. He never took the train. There may in fact be cheaper tickets, but if you're absolutely desperate to daycheck a bag and they only allow Amtrak customers to do so, just become an Amtrak customer.

Tr29, I believe our very own the_traveler did something similar as far as checking a bag and going to Van Nuys. IIRC he mentioned in a trip report that he did a points run somewhere on the PS checked his bag to the station and checked it back to LAX. I'm sure he could clarify. But that is actually pretty smart. (Dave you're too smart! :giggle: ) But I'd take a ride for some points and not have to worry about my bags. What doesn't the_traveler know?? :blink:

Why not go ahead and Ride the Train!! Last May a fellow AUer (the_traveler) and I did a Double Points Run from LAX to Van Nuys while waiting on #3! We checked our Bags Both Ways for the 30 Minute Trip and the Agent told us that we were the First Ones she had ever seen who checked Bags on this Route! :giggle: We got Double Points and with the Senior Discount had our Bags covered for $12 Total! The current Amtrak and LAX charge for Day Checking (except in WAS Union Station which is Highway Robbery!) is $4 a Bag!! I saw on another thread that Train #2 First Class Pax were Now able to use the Traxx Lounge while waiting to Board but not sure if this True??? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not go ahead and Ride the Train!! Last May a fellow AUer (the_traveler) and I did a Double Points Run from LAX to Van Nuys while waiting on #3! We checked our Bags Both Ways for the 30 Minute Trip and the Agent told us that we were the First Ones she had ever seen who checked Bags on this Route! :giggle: We got Double Points and with the Senior Discount had our Bags covered for $12 Total! The current Amtrak and LAX charge for Day Checking (except in WAS Union Station which is Highway Robbery!) is $4 a Bag!! I saw on another thread that Train #2 First Class Pax were Now able to use the Traxx Lounge while waiting to Board but not sure if this True??? :unsure:
Thought Dave did that.

Jim were you heading East on #2 or #4?

The parcel check is provided by the baggage room, and they're open until 10:30 pm according to the Amtrak website.
I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in those posted hours. About a week and a half ago, we got into LAX on #1 and detrained about 6:30am. I didn't want to roll our bags over to Phillipe's, so went over to the baggage room to have them hold them. There were two other parties waiting, but no one manning the room (locked door, no sign in the window, etc.). The hours on the website mention baggage service after 5:45 am, so I assumed someone should be there. One of the parties said someone told her that someone would be back in 5 minutes, so we waited.

Every time we saw an Amtrak employee go by, we'd flag them down, and get answers like "I'll go see if I can find someone" or "I'm sure they'll be along soon", but never saw someone show up who could help us.

So, after waiting for a half an hour, we rolled our bags over to Phillipe's.

Tr29, I believe our very own the_traveler did something similar as far as checking a bag and going to Van Nuys. IIRC he mentioned in a trip report that he did a points run somewhere on the PS checked his bag to the station and checked it back to LAX. I'm sure he could clarify. But that is actually pretty smart. (Dave you're too smart! :giggle: ) But I'd take a ride for some points and not have to worry about my bags. What doesn't the_traveler know?? :blink:
Why not a ticket form LAX to BUR? It is only $8.50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not a ticket form LAX to BUR? It is only $8.50.
Van Nuys is Staffed and has Checked Baggage, Burbank Doesn't!

Back