Opinions on Los Angeles Union Station (LAX)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
I was hoping to book a trip on the Sunset Limited out to LA, but I've had a couple different frequent Amtrak travelers tell me that LAX is the worst (most dangerous) Amtrak station in the country. I've taken their comments with the grain of salt-- some reviewers have said the same thing about Newark's Penn Station but I thought it was fine-- but since I would be there for a few hours before leaving on a connecting train, I thought I'd at least get some firsthand experiences from anyone who has been there.

LAX is an absolute dump and a terrible place for new arrivals to mingle or wait. That oddball duel-level disconnected horseshoe design. The confusing traffic snarls. The slow-as-molasses security inspections. The annoying remote stands. That depressingly stuffy and windowless underbelly where the customs and immigration folks dwell. Oh, wait, you must mean the train station.

:lol:

I'm curious myself as I've been interesting in taking the Sunset Limited over to the Coast Starlight some day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to book a trip on the Sunset Limited out to LA, but I've had a couple different frequent Amtrak travelers tell me that LAX is the worst (most dangerous) Amtrak station in the country. I
Aloha

I have been in LA Union station a fair number of times at varied hours. Even though the neighborhood isn't the best the station, the staff in the station does a fine job with security. The station is well lit. At no time have I been afraid there. But like any public place one must be observant.

Poo. It's a gorgeous train station WITH A COURTYARD- out in the air, palm trees and a fountain. If you have a layover, it's right downtown, near Chinatown, Olvera St. and City hall. It is in a city, so if you are from some wide spot in the road it will be different. Last time I went through there was a new minimart and a pretzel store in the station. It's busy or a train station, which I like, and there is a long schlepp out to the trains which is not a problem. Redcaps in golf carts will take care of you. I'll say right out it is my favorite Amtrak station.

Whoever said that was not being rational. I'm at LAUS on a fairly regular basis for both Amtrak and Metro Rail reasons, and I can tell you the station has beautiful architecture, is well-maintained, has two (count 'em: two) landscaped courtyards, and a growing number of food options. It is a busy station because it's also the Metrolink (commuter rail) hub, so there's generally a fair amount of bustle going on. Oh, and I've never felt unsafe there. Hell, my 80+ year old parents travel to Union Station when they come up to visit me and they have no fear of it, and they're "ooh, big scary city!" types.

Unless you can get some really detailed reasons for the "worst" claim, I would say at person is uninformed at best.

I have to agree I saw nothing wrong with LAUS. The outdoor areas are quite nice, and the area around the station seemed pretty okay to me. I walked around at night without hesitation. In fact my entire time in LA I felt safer and more comfortable then I ever do when I'm in Manhattan. I was walking along Sunset Blvd. at midnight, and took the last metro train of the night back to the train station, and there were no interesting characters at all.You should be fine.

I'll agree with the others, LAUS is awesome. The station really is beautiful and we arrived late in the evening on the Coast Starlight and then left the next day on the SWC and didn't feel creeped out at all. Definitely plan on spending some time there to check it out, it's worth it.

Does this really look like the worst station anywhere?

Waiting Room by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

Beautiful station, fantastic access with the Red/Purple Line subway and Gold Line light rail right there at the station, as well as the central terminal for scores of Metrolink trains each day. My only quibble is with the new food venues: TERRIBLE location, as they exacerbate the "pinch point" at the entrance to both the Red Line and the tunnels leading to all the platforms. They should have opened something in the Fred Harvey restaurant or the original ticketing hall instead; those, however, are big revenue producers for Catellus, since they are constantly used for TV and movie filming (just saw Michael Chiklis there the other day filming something)

the original ticketing hall instead;
I'm glad that you mentioned that!

I assume that you're talking about this area?

Ticket Counters by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

I took a wild guess that's what the area used to be, but never did any followup research to confirm my hunch.
My first visit to LA was in the 60's and that is how I remember the ticketing area.And, oh yes,I like the station. It is beautiful.

IMHO, it is definitely as safe as any other station. It is in a large city, and you must pay attention like any other city. If you trave smartly, without too many bags to keep track of, you will be fine. There are not a lot of restaurants in the area. You can take the red line to Hollywood and vine and check out the hollywood seen. Or you could go further to Universal city. Both are fun LA types of experiences.

If you are interested in a nice restaurant to eat in before departure., do some internet research. You will find one to your satisfaction.

I was hoping to book a trip on the Sunset Limited out to LA, but I've had a couple different frequent Amtrak travelers tell me that LAX is the worst (most dangerous) Amtrak station in the country.
Whoever told you that is a moron. I've been to LAUS hundreds of times, at 3PM and 3AM, and I've never had any problems. The station is iconic and beautiful.

And they just built a Famima inside.

I'm in and out of Union Station all the time, both on Amtrak, Metrolink and the Red, Purple and Orange Metro lines. With the usual cautions of keeping an eye on your things, it is totally safe at any time of the day or night. The surrounding area is totally safe during the day, and okay at night (though a single woman might think twice about venturing out in the surrounding area after, say, midnight).

As for restaurants, there actually are a few choices in the neighborhood. In the station itself is Traxx, which is extraordinarily good for lunch & dinner (closed breakfast), though not cheap. Just across Alameda Street in front of the station is historic Olvera Street, with a number of decent Mexican restaurants. A black away is Philippe's, home of the French dip sandwich (absolutely the best I've ever had) and a favorite of train fans. And also within walking distance is Chinatown and a variety of (take a guess) Chinese restaurants. Little Tokyo and Japanese restaurants are a longer walk or short Dash (shuttle bus) ride away.

^Or take the Gold Line to Little Tokyo Station. It does irk me that Gold Line and red/Purple line platforms are so far away from each other.

We have been through LA Union Station many times in the past 20 years, and have not had any problems. It is a beautiful station- good to see the photos. We were just there last month- took the SWC round trip. The station was fine.

That being said, we are cautious and alert while traveling-in general. We stay in well lit areas at night etc.

There is always risk in travel, but we find if we stay positive and cheerful, we end up meeting other friendly trainfans in the stations- like the guy in LAUS wearing two cowboy hats!

I have traveled through Los Angeles Union Station often over the past 40 years. It is a beautiful station with lots of character. It is one of the nicer, better preserved stations. It has become even better in recent years with commuter trains and the subway. I have never been concerned in the station or the surrounding area.

I have never felt unsafe at LAUS. I even go there "to hang out" - and I live on the east coast!
mosking.gif

the original ticketing hall instead;
I'm glad that you mentioned that!

I assume that you're talking about this area?

Ticket Counters by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

I took a wild guess that's what the area used to be, but never did any followup research to confirm my hunch.
That used to be the original ticketing area "back in the old days" when people used to take trains, and not fly! (Too bad "nobody" takes trains anymore!
laugh.gif
)

When films want a "period" ticket counter in an old station, many times they film in that area.

Poo. It's a gorgeous train station WITH A COURTYARD- out in the air, palm trees and a fountain. If you have a layover, it's right downtown, near Chinatown, Olvera St. and City hall. It is in a city, so if you are from some wide spot in the road it will be different. Last time I went through there was a new minimart and a pretzel store in the station. It's busy or a train station, which I like, and there is a long schlepp out to the trains which is not a problem. Redcaps in golf carts will take care of you. I'll say right out it is my favorite Amtrak station.
AGREE, AGREE, AGREE! LAX is one of my, if not my all-time favorite stations. I was there in August of this year, and it had been over twenty years since I was there.
The light rail, heavy rail, bus, and "new" walkway under the tracks is a gem of intermodal efficiency.

Do not let the fact that someone says LAX SUX dissuade you from making a trip. Visit it, explore it, and gauge for yourself.

I only wish that the old ticketing are of LAX was open to the public. However, I believe it is reserved for special events, catering, dances, etc', etc.

I've been through Los Angeles Union Station several times in the past year and always felt safe. As in any urban area where people congregate, you'll encounter panhandlers, but in my experience they've seldom been aggressive or threatening. Security is also pretty tight at the station and troublemakers are quickly removed.

If it's a nice day, definitely enjoy the patios and walkways -- and peek into the unused spaces. This is a beautiful facility.

As others have pointed out, there are restaurants and places to visit and dine within walking distance of the station, and you can catch the Red Line into Hollywood. You're at somewhat greater risk in Hollywood, but you'll still be OK if you keep your streetwise wits about you.

I have never been concerned in the station or the surrounding area.
One thing that some folks may not be aware of is that Union Station is straddled by large facilities for both the LAPD and LA Sheriff's Department. With such a heavy law enforcement footprint within blocks of the station, I think it keeps the riff raff at bay for the most part. You will have a good experience there.

The most "undesirable characters" that you'll see at LAUT are members of "the AU Gang"!
laugh.gif
(Many are up to no good, they just keep riding trains!
mosking.gif
)
I have it from a 'good' :blink: source that the AU Gang is a cult.

LAUPT is pretty much my favorite place in the world. Gorgeous, well preserved and maintained and now very busy. Never, ever felt unsafe in the station. The surrounding area is all right in the daytime and early evening. Not so much late at night, though.

The only bad thing are the restrooms, which are kind of the pits. Just to note, they are not the original facilities, which are at the end of the closed off old ticketing wing.

I was hoping to book a trip on the Sunset Limited out to LA, but I've had a couple different frequent Amtrak travelers tell me that LAX is the worst (most dangerous) Amtrak station in the country. I've taken their comments with the grain of salt-- some reviewers have said the same thing about Newark's Penn Station but I thought it was fine-- but since I would be there for a few hours before leaving on a connecting train, I thought I'd at least get some firsthand experiences from anyone who has been there.
As you can see from the pic's provided by our resident historian and Trails and Rails expert, LAUS is a very beautiful station. You would be more sorry if you missed seeing such a great place. It is easy to let your mind wander back to the old days, when rail travel was the best way to travel long distances. (still is in IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back