10 replies to this topic

#1 Trainmans daughter

Trainmans daughter

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Last Sunday, my purse with my driver license, bank cards, camera, money (not much, thank goodness), house key, etc was stolen from my locked car by a rock thrown through a window. :angry2:

I've been putting my life back in order all week, and now have a temporary license from the DMV. However, I won't get my permanent license with my photo on it for 5-6 weeks and we have a trip planned for New Year's on the Coast Starlight. I don't think boarding in Chico at 2 am will be a problem--no one really takes time to check at that hour of the night! But coming home I'll probably be asked for my photo ID. If I show them my temp license and maybe my SS card, will that satisfy the requirement? :help:

Thanks ya'll.

#2 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

I think as long as you have your SS card with another card with your name on it you should be okay. That's a total bummer though about your purse being stolen.

In fact here is Amtrak's ID policy:

Pretty much you need a photo ID, OR you may produce two forms as long as one is issued by government entity. Since your temporary license is issued by the government, you should be fine with that as long as you have something such as a credit card on you. But just in case, I'd bring along your SS card as well. (just don't get that stolen :))

Amtrak Miles: 173,576
As of July 21, 2014

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,029 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Unless you're picking up a ticket from an agent or checking bags, you almost are never asked for photo ID. I have never been asked on the train or by a QT! Even if you are asked, I think that copy and an explanation of why would suffice!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#4 Trainmans daughter

Trainmans daughter

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Saxman and Traveler. I am almost always asked for photo ID. Probably that "Norwegian Grandma" profiling thing.

Someone told me that providing the police incident number to the conductor might help. What a world, eh?

#5 NorthCoastHiawatha

NorthCoastHiawatha

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

I always carry my id and AAA card (discounts). I have never ever been asked for the AAA card and have only been asked for my ID once or twice.

Amtrak trains ridden: Adirondack (2) Cascades (35), California Zephyr (1) Capitol Limited (1), Coast Starlight (11), Downeaster (2) Empire Builder (6), Lake Shore Limited (2), Maple Leaf (1) Mount Rainer (1), NorthEast Regional (2) Pacific Surfliner (1), Silver Star (1), Southwest Chief (1) Sunset Limited (1)
Total Mileage: 29,177

Specials with Amtrak equipment: Seattle-Ellensburg, Seattle-Tacoma,Seattle-Leavenworth
Total Mileage: 587
VIA Rail Canadian (2) Malahat (2)
Total Mileage: 5,830
Mainline Steam Excursion: Southern Pacific 4449 (Portland-Pasco-Yakima-Auburn-Tacoma-Portland)

Milwaukee Road 261   (Minneapolis - Duluth - Minneapolis)
Total Mileage: 854

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,029 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:13 AM

Probably that "Norwegian Grandma" profiling thing.

They're the worst kind!Posted Image Them and those 1 month old Scottish babies!Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead!

#7 zepherdude

zepherdude

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:32 AM

I have made it a habit to carry my passport whenever I travel. On Amtrak I have been asked in Los Angeles, Chicago, NYP, The Lake Shore stops in Buffalo and sometimes agents go through the train checkings IDs (Canada Border), and Syracuse. Maybe carry your temporary ID with you and birth certificate is good too. Always when flying ......the TSA. Maybe think about getting a passport........no questions ever asked with that.

Edited by zepherdude, 29 November 2010 - 04:35 AM.

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,772 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

I have made it a habit to carry my passport whenever I travel. On Amtrak I have been asked in Los Angeles, Chicago, NYP, The Lake Shore stops in Buffalo and sometimes agents go through the train checkings IDs (Canada Border), and Syracuse. Maybe carry your temporary ID with you and birth certificate is good too. Always when flying ......the TSA. Maybe think about getting a passport........no questions ever asked with that.

Canada border they check more than ID. They actually do need you to have a Passport or Passport Card to cross that border.

If you are not going to be traveling outside of North America, you might prefer a Passport Card or an enhanced Driver's License, which incorporates a Passport Card in it, at least from those states that issue one of those. All states don't. California most likely does.

Although I do have my Passport with me most of the time, I have seldom showed it on Amtrak trains/stations. I mostly use my Driver's License in those cases. OTOH at airports I uniformly use my Passport since that is the registered identity document with most airlines that I fly, though there would be no problem using the Drivers License either.

#9 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

Canada border they check more than ID. They actually do need you to have a Passport or Passport Card to cross that border.

If you are not going to be traveling outside of North America, you might prefer a Passport Card or an enhanced Driver's License, which incorporates a Passport Card in it, at least from those states that issue one of those. All states don't. California most likely does.

Although I do have my Passport with me most of the time, I have seldom showed it on Amtrak trains/stations. I mostly use my Driver's License in those cases. OTOH at airports I uniformly use my Passport since that is the registered identity document with most airlines that I fly, though there would be no problem using the Drivers License either.

California does not issue EDL's.

#10 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,772 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

California does not issue EDL's.

Thanks. I guess New York does and our Chief Moderator is a proud owner of one AFAIR.

#11 AlanB

AlanB

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,750 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

At present, only NY, Michigan, Vermont, and Washington States issued EDL's.

And yes, I have one from NY.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users